Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 12 March 2014
Being a couple of years younger than Chris (and a northern monkey to boot) I found his tales of the early 70's and the skin head and sued head eras along with the music, fashion and football antics put a rye old smile on my face and brought back some great memories.

The down side for me was the almost invincibility of the Toad End lads, virtually continues referrals to endless bust ups at every ground (home and away), after a few pages it all starts to become a bit monotonous.
on 12 May 2012
Chris Brown has crafted an amazingly thoughtful insight and descriptive account of teenage life in the much maligned 1970's.

It was so descriptive that reading the book put me right in his space. I felt the tension and apprehension of impending violence, the pain both physical and emotional, the sense of belonging achieved through supporting `your team' and the achievement gained from on-field and off-field `victories'. But Brown never tries to justify the violence "it was the norm" at that time as he states in the book.

The book also opened my eyes to the music that passed me by during the 70's. It is generally agreed that the quality of mainstream 70's music was pretty bland but Brown describes an incredible and vibrant alternative music scene that the popular DJ's of Radio 1 etc never (or couldn't) play. Having researched some of the songs mentioned in the book I now know what I missed out on!

This is a great read on so many levels. If you remember the 70's then it will strike a chord, if you were part of the football scene at the time then it will evoke vivid memories or if you just want to understand the psyche of the 70's `hooligan' then Booted and Suited is a must read.
on 26 June 2015
Good writer this lad, gets it spot in win his timings and the main events of the day. Chris is well known at the Gas, a good lad too. Tells it straight and doesn't give too much away either. A good pointer is his encounters across the border with Swansea and Cardiff. Quite clearly Chris was there and experienced it first hand, the myth that Cardiff are some form of top crew ( keep repeating and one day everyone will believe you ) is laid to rest, and Chris's real respect goes to Swansea which is well known down Rovers way. Chris also incorporates style and fashion and gets his facts spot in with the skinhead scene in Bristol too. This is a good read, I enjoyed it and knowing Chris as an honest and genuine lad means you can be sure his prose is accurate, correct and truthful. Nice one.
on 8 May 2014
For those Bristol Rovers supporters who have seen their Football Club drop into non-league, Chris Brown's excellent warts and all look at 70s youth culture brings back memories of when the club were flying high and winning promotion to the old second division. Not for the squeamish, it gives a true reflection of the times and made me cringe, shudder and laugh. Unlike those books written by so-called Celebrity hooligans this doesn't romanticize but tells it as it is. On occasion it was graphic enough to make me move my hand to cover my genitals! Tales of a darker time on the football terraces mix with the music and fashion of the day and, as Chris says in the blurb, it aint no Boogie Wonderland
on 2 August 2015
Excellent book and brilliant read. As a bristol Rovers fan of 30 years hearing of places and people which you knnow is a plus but i would recommend this book to any football fan or anyone who is interested in the real sights and sounds of the seventies which is often glamourised nowadays. Hard hitting and is proof youth culture will always remain the same. Well done Browner.
on 19 October 2009
I purchased Chris Brown's BOVVER one year ago, and I thought this would be a new work from him. Instead this is only a re-working of the previous title with only a few paragraphs added and some photos. I could have saved my money if this was specified in the notes !
on 13 January 2014
Took me back to the good old days and fond memories. The scooter scene has turned full circle and has a lot of lads from 4 decades riding again
on 12 March 2010
As Im a regular reader of football hoolie books, a mate asked me to recommend which ones would be worth reading. Clearly some are pretty boring, some are run of the mill carbon copies of other previously cited garbage, whilst some make you look forward to continue reading whenever you've put it down last. Booted and Suited rated in the latter category. Ive not read "Bovver" but was fascinated by the idea of a 70s tale as I was born in 75 so missed it. Ever since I met some Gasheads in germany for the world cup Ive realised that the bristol sense of humour is right up there. This book tells a story with the humour chucked in for no extra cost. I actually finished the book and was desperate to meet Hampshire for some reason, its annoying theres no photos in the book! Anyway, the tales really do come across as "this is what happened, take it or leave it" and its not just football related incidents, its a journey through that decade that also included music, politics, birds, drinking, social aspects, and the general crack that lads like to have. Admittedly theres a lot of football related violence but that was part of his life so has to be told. The only reason I havent given top marks is because there were the odd parts that I found a bit boring, when he went on a bit about certain types of music that didnt interest me. Thats my problem of course, and Im sure to others it will be facinating. Just not my bag. Definitely worth a read. I never liked bristol city because andy cole played there and they play in red. I dont like them even more now. Bristol Rovers, Gary Mabbutts first club so that will do me. COYS
on 31 December 2012
A must read for all ex skinheads..even the second wave.This book doesn't glorify or try to explain why,it just gives you the details and does it well.I've also read Bovver by Chris Brown..Both books well worth a read for the musical references alone.
on 15 September 2015
This is not your average football hooligans book, it's as much a social documentary as it is a history of the fights and tribalism that went on. It is a vivid series of snapshots, by the author, of the fashion, music and culture. Highly recommended