on 4 December 2012
As my eldest son is currently playing in his second season of football I thought this book, `Simply the best: 500 football tips for youngsters', would be a beneficial read. Especially as it has an endorsement from Sir Alex Ferguson.

On reading the first few pages my heart sunk, seems as if someone in Manchester needs a spellchecker as there were two easily noticeable typos in Sir Alex Ferguson's foreword - thes and schildren. Was the whole book going to be like this? Fortunately no, the only other typo I recall was beech, instead of beach.

The book is split into:
12. Professional football academies
13. Match day
14. Winning matches
15. Football agents

The problem is that it is called `500 football tips', rather than just `football tips' as it seems the author struggled to find five-hundred unique tips. For example tips 29-39 are concerning `Obesity: the threat', well this part reads more like facts/benefits than tips and I'm sure could have simply been condensed into one. Tips 62-73 cover `Drink up - lots of it'; I agree hydration is very important, but 11 tips all more or less saying the same thing gets tiresome.

Fortunately the latter part of the book does get interesting, but the whole book would benefit by a drastic cull.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 21 September 2012
If you coach or watch kids football buy this easy to read book as it makes sense of lots of issues that you may struggle to explain to parents and players alike. Loved it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again