5.0 out of 5 stars A vivid and engaging memoir
Bombsite and Lollipops tells the story of the author's childhood in Hackney, north-east London, in the years following the Second World War: an age of shortages, rationing, queues, power-cuts, cold and all-pervasive greyness. She grows up in a slum scarred by bomb damage, in a flat in a block with a stinking rubbish chute, but the life that she and her parents lead is way...
Published on 4 July 2011 by HL Chesworth

2.0 out of 5 stars not as expected
after reading about a quarter of the book I deleted it. I found it really boring. I read lots of these types of books and this one didnt rate with me at all.
Published on 25 Jan. 2013 by Chrissy

‹ Previous | 119 20 2135 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 July 2013
Mrs. S. Meehan (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bombsites and Lollipops - My 1950s East End Childhood: My 1950s East End Childhood (Kindle Edition)
Very evocative and Jacky brought her story to life. Very sad as well. A good easy read. I enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bombsites and lollipops, 1 July 2013
A good read,very down to earth and realistic,lucky family,we had to struggle with low rations and not much money,as did a lot of people,we couldn't all afford black market prices.nevertheless I enjoyed the book and will read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 30 Jun. 2013
This book is an honest depiction of the times, written with insight and intelligence. She pulls no punches. She triumphs over adversity.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this book, 29 Jun. 2013
The book is gripping from the start. It tells an endearing story in a very humorous way. I found it very informative and interesting. I love the style of writing. I will definitely read more books from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The good old days ?, 28 Jun. 2013
I like this kind of story it takes me out of these trying times and also gives a insight to the old days of our older family ties I like to know how my mum and dad and all my grandparents managed then.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK Read, 28 Jun. 2013
ALison Harrower (Lodon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had assumed book the would tell you more about life in that era but was a personal story instead

4.0 out of 5 stars bombsites and lollipops, 27 Jun. 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, I shared some of her experiences as a child, and I felt it was a honest story of life in the east end.

5.0 out of 5 stars old times, 24 Jun. 2013
couldn't believe it just picked this book at random and brought back wonderful memories of my childhood,the places i use to go like the old cinema at Stamford Hill , the old one arm bandit (the shtip) as it was called, where all my school friends use to go and my dad coming in and pulling me out (should of been at school) great reading .

5.0 out of 5 stars Bombsites and memories., 24 Jun. 2013
I loved it very much. Having lived through the period, it brought back many happy and sad memories. Congrats to Jacky. Well written. very enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 Jun. 2013
I enjoyed reading about this innocent era, unbelievable how times change . It sounds so exciting and fresh , I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone .

‹ Previous | 119 20 2135 | Next ›