on 13 June 2012
I saw this book at a friend's house, thought it looked fun, meant to buy it, looked it up on Amazon, discovered that there was a Kindle version, and being a cheapskate, bought that. Well, I made a mistake. My mistake was not in buying the book, but in buying the eBook version. This is, as a friend might say `a loo book'. It's not really for sitting down and reading cover to cover. Like Schott's Miscellany, it's a small volume best administered in small doses. Dip into it for a few pages, then again on your next visit. Don't forget that a queue might be forming outside the door, desperate to use the facilities. You are supposed to be attending to serious business, so try not to giggle or guffaw - it will give you away.

The author is clearly a clever chap and might even have passed his `O'level Latin at school. Not sure if there is an `A' level in Dog Latin, but he'd have cruised that one with a distinction.

Through his erudite, tongue-in-cheek wit I have discovered that I am a callidinfanophiliac, an extrunophiliac, suffer from inauctophilia and am definitely guilty of fracurrophilia. Don't tell my family, but they probably already have suspicions. I have also clearly identified friends, family and acquaintances who are chaophiliacs, nimbuphiliacs as well as indulging in nothesophilia and potestaphilia. It's quite serious! One of my friends has such a bad case of niovemophilia, he has a book coming out about it.

This small book is not without controversy. Tim Lihoreau has clearly put his neck on the line by `outing' Mrs Windsor as a vigintiunphiliac. I suppose that's his MBE for services to dog Latin and humour out of the window?

All good fun, but don't be a cheapskate like me. Buy the hard copy version. It's better and handier if there's a paper emergency. Five stars!
on 27 October 2011
This book is a little gem ... it made me chuckle out loud every time I turned the page and I kept on reading bits to my friend. Spot-on observations about human nature - from well-known foibles to sentiments that I never realised I had but recognised immediately! Clever use of language was just as satisfying. A perfect Christmas present!
on 13 January 2015
An erudite and enjoyable little tome which worries as one progresses through it.
At first I found myself recognising work colleges (mainly from the H.R & Marketing departments), then friends & family, finally I found that I was stacking up a worrying amount of these conditions against my own ID.
Well worth the read and brilliant email fodder for distant friends where it's fun to wind them up from afar.
There were a couple of proof mistakes in the book, but on reflection I fear that they were included so that I'd out myself in pointing them out.
on 31 August 2015
Ok,it must be me and my (lack of ) sense of humour. Yes, I found it funny overall but the` joke` became a bit boring in the end ,as did the examples/definitions.
Got it for a penny so don`t regret trying it but would not have bought it full price.
on 15 January 2016