Crosscut (A Nicholas Colt Thriller)
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.49

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nicholas Colt, family man, Private Investigator. His adopted daughter is about to leave school and he sees a steady life on the horizon, then comes the call to travel to Tennessee to investigate a double murder that can only have been carried out by a white supremacist gang that Colt put away years ago.

The first part of this book dwells on the investigation, this is typical crime genre fare, then comes the second half, returning home Colt walks into a bloodbath, abducted, drugged and brainwashed. Colt is sent out to be a part of a criminal enterprise bigger than anything Colt has previously seen.

I'm not sure where the writer was taking us with this and I'm not sure if it worked. I'm loathe to give anything two stars so this gets a three, it may appeal to someone out there. I did read to the end and was surprised by some of the plot holes and the threads left untied at the end. Did the author get fed up and rush it?
on 6 May 2013
A former girlfriend persuades Nick Colt, a PI, to investigate the assumed murder of her policeman brother. Nick takes the job on because of an apparent connection to a previous case involving a white supremacist group.

While that short summary may make the story sound interesting, the truth is that this is quite an ordinary tale, with a whole lot of nonsense at its core.

Nick is captured and escapes a few times, is drugged beyond belief over an extended period and then suddenly remembers who he is. And then a bit player emerges late in the piece and tells Nick some earth-shattering news which the police should have been made aware of so much earlier. I can't go into detail here, at the risk of offering a spoiler, but we really enter nonsense territory with the scenarios presented. Many will also say there were just too many other plot holes to take the book too seriously.

Sorry, but while I don't mind authors taking some licence, Jardin goes totally overboard here and really only succeeds in delivering some pace.
on 29 September 2013
Have read and enjoyed the two previous books but this was so repetitive. How many times can a person be attacked and end up shooting the attacker? How many times can he wake in a hospital room? Really disappointed
on 16 September 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've read all the Nicholas Colt books, if not in the right order, and this did seem to be the weakest of the series.
You could call the whole saga 'the misadventures of Nicholas Colt' and this one is even more of the same. Nicholas can be called, charitably, accident-prone and his commonsense is entirely lacking as he gets himself embroiled in a wild plot which eventually threatens to wipe out half of Los Angeles. Captured, tortured and brain-washed he still manages to kill several unpleasant people and save the world (or at least part of California).
I like Nicholas, which I suppose is why I keep reading this series. The plot is exciting, if increasingly unbelievable, and the book certainly passed a painless (for me if not for Nicholas) couple of hours.
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The main protagonist of this book is one Nicholas Colt, a forty-something ex-rockstar turned private investigator. This is the third in a series of books featuring Mr Colt, so be warned you might prefer to read the others first.
When Colt is drawn into investigating a murder in Tennessee where a slanted cross is carved on the brows of the victims he initially puts it down to a copycat crime. Far from it.
The second half of the book is full of blood and gore, and our hero soon racks up a pretty good body count. Before the books finished, he is turned into a drug addict, tortured, brainwashed and yet still manages to save the day!
A bit far-fetched I'm afraid, but nonetheless quite readable.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I try really hard to rate books at the top end of the scale. I know how hard it is for authors to write and then have their book published and then sit back and wait anxiously for the movie contract (joking about the last bit).

This book is one of two halves, I'm afraid and that is not a football cliche in this instance. Nicholas Colt, ex-PI now Blues band leader, is asked by an old flame to investigate the disappearance of her policeman brother whilst he was at the scene of a multiple murder.

Colt does just this and so far so good. The book reads well, the investigation is as one might expect if, perhaps, just a little heavy on racist undertones. I really don't know if Tennessee has such people but I suppose they do. Anyway, this little matter leads to some aggressive violence, something to be expected in books today. Even Colt's modern-day family is exposed to this violence by a quite random approach to the storyline.

But Colt is captured by the very people he is investiagting and brainwashed and from this point the book is just so off the wall, the storyline so whacky, one wonders if there were two authors to be credited with this book who were definitely not writing from the same crib sheet.

To tell you what happens next will ruin the book but, frankly, it's already ruined. Having engaged with Colt, he now becomes a most unlikeable character, the story descends into farce, the violence and body count mount inexorably and this reader was very much confused, rather like Colt, I guess.

The blurb tells us this is a page turner. It is, just so you can get to the end and breathe a sigh of relief that it's over.

I haven't read the author's first book which achieved good reviews and maybe the fans will review this one similarly but, for me, I certainly won't wish to follow Colt anywhere and thanks to the author's view on violence, it seems I won't be listening to Colt's Blues Band either. (Before another irate reader suggests I've just given the game away, I haven't. It is completely irrelevant to the story.)
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2014
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nicholas Colt had once fronted a big southern rock band, the Colt .45s. Twenty-one years before, a plane crash took the lives of the band and his wife and daughter, he the only survivor.

He'd worked as a Private investigator for a number of years, retired now, and had a small house band in a blues club in Florida. Married, with an adopted daughter from his last case, he was content with life. Then an ex-girlfriend comes to see him, wanting him to find her brother, and so the story unfolds. Great story line and fast paced enough to keep me turning those pages.
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2015
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have read another book in the series and was looking forwards to this one. The story follows a former rock star turned detective who just seems to get themselves into the trouble that they are investigating.

There were times that I had to suspend disbelief, as it appeared that nicholas had really lost all common sense or when he overcame unrealistic odds. Against that, you don't often read fictional books for a real account of events. Overall if you see it in a book bin then pick it up. Otherwise I would direct you to other books in this series
on 27 August 2014
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )

found most of it to be quite unbelievable even verging on the.ridiculous, couldn't drum up much enthusiasm for the story, didn't even manage to get to the end, tried speed reading but even that bored me stupid, didn't really like the story
on 21 November 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nicholas Holt, a PI with a damaged hand that ended his career as a rock guitarist, is once again at the centre of this novel, getting involved in affairs of crime and doing the police's job for them.

I really like this character - and the series - and will continue to read the books as long as Jude Hardin is prepared to put them out there.