4.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!
Published on 20 Dec 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars the confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
I was very disappointed with this book, the author and publisher have just jumped on the bandwagon when putting this out.

Published on 7 July 2010 by mercyferry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 20 Dec 1999
By A Customer
I am a certified Austen addict, and I buy almost any sequel I can get my hands on. No one writes like Jane Austen did, but because her characters are so appealing and compelling, I am drawn to sequels. I am not a writer myself, so I feed my need for MORE, MORE, MORE by reading other people's fan fiction rather than writing my own. I like to see if other people see the characters the way I do.
I bought Janet Aylmer's "Darcy's Story" a while back and liked it, but it didn't stand up to repeated readings. This book, however, does. I have indeed read it several times, simply because I think that Mary Street has really gotten into Darcy's head and understands what makes him tick. The reasons she come up with for many of his actions are more than plausible, and they are reasons, and actions, I truly believe Jane Austen would have approved of. I have lent it to Austen-phile friends who also enjoyed it.
It is a quick read, and is well worth the wait it takes to receive it. I will not reveal the ending except to say that it is absolutely adorable, and I can't even think about it without getting a goofy grin on my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book - One of the best sequels yet, 27 July 2003
Lynne Robson "Lynne" (Dronfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A wonderful read give us Darcy's point of view on what is going on at the same time period as Pride and Prejudice's Elizabeth, it shows his feelings and how he fights his attraction to Elizabeth. It also gives us insight as to what happens with Wickham and Georgiana and how he felt about that.
I enjoyed this much more realistic view of Mr Darcy, and found it to be a better read than The Diary of Henry Fitzwilliam Darcy it did not quote too much from the book as others have done, all I can say is well done to the Author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy purchase, 8 April 2003
By A Customer
A good, plausible parallel story of Pride and Prejudice as told from Mr. Darcy's point of view. It is better than Janet Aylmer's Darcy's Story in that Janet Austen's words are not repeated almost verbatim. The characters are preserved and I detected no deviation from Pride and Prejudice. The gradual change in Darcy brought about by Elizabeth's censure and rejection was done well. "In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was...but that, from knowing him better, his disposition was better understood." (Elizabeth, P&P)
I enjoyed it very much! I, too, was left smiling at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars i have to say..., 28 May 2006
poppy girl (in the clouds...) - See all my reviews
confession of fitzwillian darcy is no doubt one of the best sequels to pride and prejudice there is. speaking as a new jane austen addict, i have very high expectation for what needs to be found in a good book, especally one that claims to be a sequel of the famed classic.

=> Pride and Prejudice is told from the view of Elizabeth Bennett, told the story of her relationship with Mr. Darcy and how it progresses to eventual love and marriage.

But what of Mr. Darcy? What of his thoughts and opinions? After all he was a main character, he must have had his side of the story to tell. And that is exactly what Confessions of Fitzwilliam Darcy says. It tells of the strange way he was first drawn to Elizabeth, how he tried to conquer that infatuation, him failing to do so, and getting his heart crushen when Elizabeth rejected him so painfully. But even his pride, his arogance, and his high sense of self propriety were nothing compared to the unextinguishable love for Lizzy he still ferventy keeps close in his heart....

ps. i seemed to notice i gave confessions 5 stars while the average was 4. Pride and prejudice is a great book, especally for those girls whose hearts throb whenever they her a whisper of the name darcy... so i suppose this is the reason for the extra star. :0)but in all due respect to mary street, this book deserves it more than enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't disappoint, 22 Sep 2009
I've never read the original book, but I have watched the BBC DVDs many, many times (and utterly love them) so I am using these as my reference to the original story. I found this book to be a great take on the story. There are good points of reference to the original, but it isn't simply the same story repeated from Darcy's view point. We get to find out more about Darcy and what he was up to when the original story was focussed on Lizzie and the Bennetts. We also get to know a bit more about Fitzwilliam's character. The language was as in the original and it all flowed very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!, 10 Aug 2009
A wonderful sequel to a wonderful book. It is great to see it from another point of view. There is more of a background to Darcy's relationships with his cousin, his sister and his aunt - including the infamous visit by Lady Catherine! I really couldn't put it down and have read it several times!! Brilliant read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book!, 5 Aug 2009
Austen fan (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I loved this book! It was an excellent insight into what was going on in Mr Darcy's head during the events of P&P. It was funny, touching,and sad in all the right places, and a fabulous and captivating read throughout. Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 5 Mar 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Fitzwilliam Darcy's shyness prevents him from easily conversing with acquaintances. Talking with strangers never became an issue until he met a young lady at a country assembly.

Elizabeth Bennet was not the average society woman. She wasn't impressed by his wealth and didn't admire him.

The more they were thrown into the same company, the more he began to notice her and desire her good opinion.

Mary Street takes the romantic tale of Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE and creates a novel from Fitzwilliam Darcy's perspective, giving great insight into the mind of one the most delightful characters in literature.

If you're a Jane Austen fan, be sure to pick up this book.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

1.0 out of 5 stars the confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy, 7 July 2010

There are glaring historical errors, for example what 16 year old gently bred girl would have had her own establishment? The biggest weakness in Jane Austen's original was how Georgiana met Wickham and arranged an elopement with what should been her relations and servants always with her and this book does nothing to address that.

All in all a mediocre book with little to recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful book, 10 Jun 2010
This is a delightful book and I really enjoyed it. I've read other books based around Pride and Prejudice and the characters don't always feel right but the characters in this story really worked for me.
I would recommend it for any P and P fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›