5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after, 24 Feb 2008
M. Hudson - See all my reviews
This book does exactly what it says on the tin - provides the reader with the foundations of GTK+ development. I've had it for a while now, and wanted to wait some time before reviewing it to see how it panned out as both a day-to-day reference as well as a learning tool.
Before I read the book I had no GTK+ experience but did possess a reasonable grasp of C. As the author himself notes, some knowledge of C is required to get the most from this book.
I found the online resources for GTK a little scattered, unless I was after information about a specific widget - not the best if you're just starting out. This book provides a great walk-through guide for total beginners as well as remaining a great reference further down the line.
I have no hesitation recommending this book to any C coder wanting to get to know GTK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Sep 2010
I was required to build upon an existing GTK based application for my employer and so I ordered this book to try and get up to speed with GTK as I had no previous experience with any GUI API. This book proved to be a good choice and has served me well for the past few months, helping me learn the various GUI concepts with relevant information and clear examples.

This book is not a reference (as the title suggests), but the examples can come in very handy when trying to remember things you may have forgotten. I would recommend it to anyone with no GTK experience, but perhaps not to others who do have experience as you may find yourself drinking from an empty glass.