on 26 May 2012
I bought this primarily for mocap with iclone 5, sadly, it didn't work with the software. From reading forums and articles i believe that this product is too young to have many retail consumer applications and is really designed for programmers and developers. So buyers beware, without the knowledge, experience or intention to attain the know how to write your own programmes for this, the options are quite limited to run, straight out of the box
on 13 January 2014
I bought this to record motion-capture data for 3D character animation using IPISoft Mocap Studio 2 and it works flawlessly and gives fantastic results. I've used it a hell of a lot these past few weeks, and I'm sure I'll be using it a lot more in the future.
on 12 November 2014
I have only given this 2 stars, in order to draw your attention to the warning I am about to give to certain individuals, who may want to use Kinect For Windows, for non-standard activities:

I bought the Kinect For Windows, specifically to use with iClone 5 Pro's MoCap plug-in. I wanted to record a series of yoga postures for a yoga teaching application. I had also got plans to record techniques for an Aikido [japanese martial art, similar to judo] teaching application.

It is very hard to find information about exactly what this equipment can & cannot do. So let me tell you the full story.

Firstly, I spent a great deal of time, tuning the equipment & calibrating the sensor. I was also using, a room that was totally empty & clear of clutter, with plain white walls, and a white floor. I was wearing black shorts & a white t-shirt, to provide the sensor with a clear view of my limbs.

The Kinect is very bad at recording movements, where limbs & joints are obscured by other limbs & joints. This is a corner stone of both yoga & aikido.

The Kinect could not record me kneeling or when I turned upside down [handstand].

The a Kinect isn't great at recording movement detail when limbs & the spine bend.

I understand that my objectives for the Kinect, maybe outside Microsoft's remit, but this information should be made clear & available, before buying this product.

In retrospect, I can understand now, that the Kinect cannot record body parts that are obscured, which is why many people, opt for traditional Motion Capture, in a studio with sensors attached to each joint area. Obviously, this is a very expensive option, but it allows for obscured body part movement to be recorded by the sensors attached to the body, rather than a remote sensor.

Anyway, this is just a warning to certain individuals that plan to use the Kinect for more advance motion capture projects.

Caveat Emptor!
on 3 November 2014
How can we have a Manufacturer's Warranty for this item in Romania?

See one answered question