on 19 June 2013
What are the necessary ingredients for a deep dark twisting international thriller?

Intrigue? Murder? Deceit? Fear? Power? Greed? Politics? Revenge? Espionage?

Well, you will find them all in here and by the bucketful.

This sleek crafted novel will keep you enthralled and guessing until the final pages.

Excellent switchback of a read.
on 29 April 2014
It is very rare that I give up on a book but I did with this I am afraid. Far to disjointed and confusing. As others have said one minute a dead body the next a discussion of politics. Very poor and heavy dialogue which made it a very difficult read. I eventually stopped caring about who did what to whom and deleted the sorry thing from my device.
on 22 April 2012
A complex and twisting plot. Definitely no ultra-slick, impossible to comprehend dialogue. Vaguely reminiscent of the Swedish authors Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo, with their Martin Beck novels. I'll be interested to see if the rest of the trilogy is along similar lines.
on 1 September 2014
Maybe books later in the series were improved, but on the strength of one book, of which I only had the patience to read two chapters, I would suggest to the author: 1. Cut your characters by at least half. 2. Make sure the work is published properly, i.e. with scene breaks, such as asterix. Starting a new paragraph is just not good enough and confuses the reader. 3. I think you need a stronger reason for that to explain widespread rioting! All the same, it is good writing, but I couldn't live with the formatting errors or the premise to keep me reading.
on 16 January 2015
I could not get into this book at all, I persevered to chapter 9 and put it aside for a while. Came back to it, tried skipping to the end to find out 'whodunnit' and I really couldn't care. I had previously read a novel by Hylton Smith and thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the slightly futuristic, dystopian format, not one of my favourite genres, I also found the constant foul language a bit tedious after a while, This novel was just too slow for my taste.
on 1 June 2014
Without doubt one of the worst books I have ever read. I kept going to see how bad it was going to get and I wasn't disappointed in that respect. Main problems? A poor plot. A set of characters you really don't care about or are ever given a chance to get to know or understand. A writing style that seems to be permanently set on tell with very little show. Vast amount of characters launching into supposed conversations which consist of them talking for several pages at a time with no interruption. Exposition gone mad. Forget Fog on the Tyne, this is Fog of the mind. I suppose it serves me right for downloading a free book. You will have to pay me a substantial sum to persuade me to read another book by this author if he maintains this standard.
on 15 April 2012
When the TV is filled to the gunwales with high calibre crime thrillers, to be tempted to read one, it needed to be different.
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot has plenty of twists and is well crafted. But it was the characters that made it for me. They had substance and were believable. And to complete the enjoyment, I was "wrong footed" until the end.
I sincerely hope there is more to come for Detective Inspector Jack Renton.
Highly recommended
on 31 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book, maybe because I am from the NorthEast. I did at first find the dateline difficult, Because it is so near. I could see the subtle relationship to the social difficulties of today, the lav
Ck of faith in the NHS, the overwhelming self righteousness of the Government, the growing Islamic extremism in the UK and the hopeless stupidity of allowing the criminals to take advantage of the strong views on human rights. The message that differentiation should be made when it comes to human rights leaves one with many things to consider deeply. Good read but why do I feel disturbed?
on 25 February 2014
I read a lot, and have read some really good books on the kindle and some dreadful. This was one of the worst and I struggled to finish it (I'm a bit OCD and hate to be beaten but by 20% in I thought I would have to admit defeat). The lack of definition of paragraphs exacerbated the frustration of the turgid dialogue and all the jumping from character to character, location to location.

I couldn't have cared less what the ending was by the time I got there - I just wanted to get there so I could put it behind me.
on 21 February 2014
Would have given this 4 stars, as the story is quite original and has some interesting twists, but it is really difficult to read as the format is not Kindle-friendly. Normally if the story changes to a different location with different characters there would be a double space between paragraphs. Not so in this case. I am sure it is not just my brain that takes one or two sentences to click that the characters have changed, so I have to return to the start of the paragraph. I have persevered and it is worth reading!