5.0 out of 5 stars A Year of Biblical Womanhood
Published 21 months ago by Damaskcat

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
This writer claims to have had a year of biblical womanhood. What I read is nothing but contempt for scripture and writing in such a way to make the reader doubt-if the reader is not well acquainted with scripture. So I would not recommend this book to anyone of faith, it is a waste of time and money.
Published 7 months ago by Lil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Year of Biblical Womanhood, 3 Mar 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master" (Kindle Edition)
The author decided to try and follow all the advice in the Bible which tells women how they should live and what sort of behaviour they should exhibit. She was brought up as a Christian and thought she was reasonably familiar with the Bible but realised during the year of her project that she actually didn't know it very well at all. How could the idea that women should always defer to the men in their lives fit in with the lives of liberated women in the twenty first century?

Each month has a theme and the author made a list at the start of the month of what things she would concentrate on. She wrote a blog about her day to day experience as well as this book. Both the author and her husband struggled with some aspects of the project such as the idea that she should do everything her husband told her to do and that she should address him as master. In fact calling him master didn't last very long because her husband didn't actually feel comfortable with it.

The author's experiences during the year included a retreat to a Benedictine monastery which forced her to be silent and brought her some surprising spiritual benefits; friendship with many interesting people; a visit to an Amish household; visits to many different churches as well as a trip to Bolivia with the charity World Vision. It also brought her some hostility and a certain amount of abuse from people who felt she wasn't taking the project seriously or that she was disrespecting the Bible.

What I found most interesting about this book was the light it throws on the many very brave female characters in the Bible and the way so many interpret the Bible to oppress women. As the author says the Bible is a collection of stories, pieces of advice, fragments of correspondence and prophecies many of which are totally contradictory. Whatever your point of view on any subject you can find a text in the Bible to support it.

There are groups in America which seek to try and recreate the traditional Biblical roles of men and women in the twenty first century but should they follow the Old Testament or the New? Should they confine their definition of a woman's role to Proverbs 31 which has to be the prototype for Superwoman? What surprised me about Proverbs 31 was that it advocated women earning money from their own efforts whereas I have always had the impression that traditionalists seek to keep women confined to the home and wholly dependent financially on the men in their lives.

This is a truly fascinating read - whether or not you have religious beliefs or are an atheist. I liked the way the author writes and found her a likeable character. I felt she was a bit over dramatic when it came to battling with such things as sewing and cooking but it is easy for me to say that because I can do both! Much of the advice given in the Bible about women could apply to either men or women so it would be interesting to read a similar project undertaken by a man - just found out that someone already has The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound and hilarious..., 28 Mar 2013
A most striking, humorous and rigorous rebuttal of the theology of complementarianism - the doctrine that men and women have different but complementary roles in life, usually with the woman firmly subordinate to her man, and to men in general. Rachel Held Evans takes the complementarian concept of "Biblical womanhood" and undoes it by its own tenets: she simply looks to find what the Bible, Old as well as New Testament, appears literally to have commanded women to do, and does it, often with side-splitting results. Do read this, especially if you're a man like me - you will alternate between gales of laughter and tears of compunction, and you will not be quite the same person afterwards...

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommneded for any Christian or anyone interested in Christianity, 23 Aug 2013
My wife and I work for an inter-denominational Bible translation organisation in Papua New Guinea. We both found this both to be an articulate, entertaining, and refreshing read. The author is not preachy and her writing style is humble and balanced. It is tragic that such inspired wisdom is so seldom heard in many Christian circles and is even sadder that 'Biblical' (but not Christlike) gender roles continue to be prosyletized in majority world contexts like the one we work in. If you are intelligent and find the person of Jesus to be attractive, then you will find this book very rewarding, particularly if you have found passages in the Bible that refer to women (or sermons on them!) confusing or troubling.

If you read this Rachel, we really appreciate your courage and commitment to keep talking and blogging about faith in such a transparent and contemporary way. My wife is newly pregnant and so if you ever become pregnant (and I'm not suggesting that you should or shouldn't), it would be great to see an additional chapter on a future re-release on that aspect of womanhood (though I'm not suggetsing that your perspective on womanhood is lacking in any way as it stands - just that we enjoy reading your perspective).

5.0 out of 5 stars a refreshing look at this topic, 14 Mar 2013
A. Randall - See all my reviews
Rachel Evans has managed to write a book that is both amusing (I laughed a lot!) and serious at the same time (I also learned a lot). It is a pity that some people have misunderstood her purpose in writing it as I found it extremely helpful. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenged my assumptions about what the Bible has to say to women and reaffirmed the way I'm living out my marriage and my life, 17 Feb 2014
Rachel (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think I need some time to properly process my thoughts on this book, but ultimately, it's one of the best books I've read in recent years. This isn't a feminist rant attempting to destroy Christianity; it's an honest attempt by a Christian woman who wants to truly understand what God's intentions are for female believers. I cannot empathise how honest Rachel is about her flaws, failures, misconceptions and personal prejudices, not to mention her difficulties at carrying out certain aspects of her year of biblical womanhood. And despite these prejudices, she's surprisingly unbiased when interviewing or talking about women involved in more conservative or unusual Christian groups, such as polygamists or the patriarchy movement. I know there are those women who will never pick up this book because they think it will offend them, but as a woman who intends to be a housewife and stay-at-home mother for hopefully the rest of my life, I can confidently say that Rachel's writing both challenged my assumptions about what the Bible has to say to women and reaffirmed the way I'm living out my marriage and my life. It was also just a general encouragement to my faith and the way I read the Bible, so this isn't only a book for married women. Seriously, give this book a try. Rachel Held Evans might be a famous author and blogger, but she's a Christian woman, struggling to understand the Bible and apply it to her life, just like us. Definitely being awarded 5*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical Womanhood - Couldn't put it down!, 18 Jan 2013
I bought this book as a gift for a friend. She loved it! This book is the account of Rachel's decision to spend a year trying to live as a Biblical Women as portrayed in the Bible, especially in Proverbs 31. Her journey is one of highs, lows, laughter and tears as she struggles to become this most difficult ideal of a Biblical Woman. I have now read this book too and could hardly put it down. It certainly gave me a lot of food for thought, but also helped me as I have struggled in many of the ways that Rachel describes. Even my husband wanted to read this book, so I recommend that men read it too. I discovered much more about my husband's thinking and expectations of me, AND all other women!!!
I would recommend this book. You will laugh, cry and feel you know the author as a friend afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Christian Writer, 9 Aug 2013
Prompt delivery of this witty and intelligent female supporter of the Christian faith. Held-Evans is a worth while read and a book to give to any christian woman struggling with misinterpretation of scripture and misconduct of leadership.

5.0 out of 5 stars So refreshing!, 4 April 2014
Being an intelligent 21st century woman can be hard in the church. Accepting the 'equal value, different roles' of complementarians has long been a problem for me.

This book was very easy to read yet challenging and thought provoking. I will now read everything else Rachel has ever written as I find so much of her thoughts resonate with my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 17 Nov 2012
I thank God for this book as it had come just at the right time for me. My husband and left a church this year. We had attended the church for five years but in that time regardless of the title of the sermon it would somehow be on how women dresses and what was a women's role in general. It did not sit well with me the whole time but I went because the church encouraged my husband in other ways. In the end we both could not take it anymore and for the last year we have done our own research and also come to the conclusion that you can find whatever scriptures to back up your own personal beliefs but if love is not your main focal point your belief system is not correct. God want us all to use the gifts that we have been given. Women can be used to. Thank you for reminding me of the Lady's in the bible that went before us to show us the example. (p.s the bible did not comment on what they wore but what they did.)

4.0 out of 5 stars funny But Also Sad & Disturbing, 3 Mar 2014
Mrs. F. BOLAM-PEEL (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
An interesting read. Annoying in places. Context is wholly American. Have recommended it to a few friends. If you think you should be a surrendered wife, read it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›