on 8 June 2013
I received this book from Netgalley and even though it was written for young adults, I found it a helpful book. This is the third book I have read by Max Lucado and I find him easy to read, clear and accessible.

In this book, Lucado explores the theme of God's grace and how it can change the lives of everyone who receives it. Christian theology teaches that if you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord you will be saved. The theology goes deeper than that, saying that when we believe God's grace is given to us and that grace means that all our sins - everything we have ever done wrong, however big or small - are completely forgiven. Max Lucado looks at this topic in more depth than the few lines I have given it in a way that relates to teenagers and the trials they might be facing.

What I liked most about this book is that Lucado uses real life stories to explain the different ways grace can change lives and he makes space for the reader to think about the issues raised in his book. He asks some challenging questions and gives room during the chapters to note down the answers. I didn't do this, but I liked that the option was there if I wanted to be more than just a passive reader.

I found this book clear and concise. Lucado is honest about his own trials and things he has received grace for. He writes in an engaging manner and his examples are relevant to young people today - looking at school, the temptations in relationships and how they are at home. I think Lucado communicates what grace is and how it can change your life in a very simple and effective way. I don't think you need to limit this book to teenagers, I think it is helpful for everyone.

[rating=4]