4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good.
Bought this as it was so cheap they were practically giving it away and was very pleasantly surprised by the great storyline.
Yes, it has typos and misspellings and some poor grammar, but if this is a first attempt all I can say is I want more.
Published 18 months ago by Henferch

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Proof Reading
Published 17 months ago by Claire Whitaker

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Proof Reading, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
The main letdown for me with this book is the consistent bad grammar throughout. The book is absolutely riddled with errors. The author has no concept at all of the correct usage of their, they're, there, or of your and you're, and gets these wrong most of the times he uses them. Words are missing all over the places, and there's some misplaced punctuation. Words are misused in a lot of places. Just a couple of examples that spring to mind right now are 'feel' in place of 'fell', 'severe' in place of 'sever'. Small errors that are fairly obvious to correct yourself, but really ought to have been picked up in editing. It all really is quite distracting. I also noted that the errors become even more pronounced in the final 20% or so of the book, as though the end was even more rushed than the rest of it and less effort than previously was put into correcting mistakes.
There were also, for me, some layout issues. I'm not certain if this was just a result of me reading it on kindle, but sometimes I felt that I needed to reorder things. Dialogue between characters ran into each other on the same line with no break or any sign at all that a different person was now speaking. Confusing in places.

I also have to comment that I found this book whilst browsing horror fiction. But I really don't feel it belongs there at all. If I had to I'd place this in 'gangster mob drama'. It isn't horror and is badly categorised. It isn't something I'd usually read, and it took me a while to get through as I kept losing interest and putting it down. I feel this is an error on the part of the author.

As far as the storyline goes... It's alright. I can't get as enthusiastic about it as some other reviewers, because, as I've said, it just wasn't my thing, but I did read it through to the end. I found the characters pretty believable and engaging, giving their setting and scenarios they seemed to do their jobs well. I think, if it's a genre you're interested in, it would probably be a pretty decent read, providing you can ignore the pretty blatant and overpowering errors.

I wouldn't recommend this for someone actually looking for something from the horror genre, or for someone who is easily annoyed with bad, bad grammar.. But from the reviews a lot of people seem to like this, so maybe I'm just picky.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very well thought out story, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Good basic plot but rather spoilt by poor or non-existent proof reading. The errors detracted from the enjoyment of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but poor grammar., 5 July 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the story it was very good.
However, the grammar was poor. It does not look as though the book has been 'proof read'. If it has then the proof reader has let the writer down badly. Otherwise it would have been an excellent book. I would have felt let down if I had paid for it. The Americanisms are also a little off putting for the English reader, I find words like gotten irritating. On the whole, if the story line had not been so good I would have abandoned it. I am pleased I did not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good., 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I thought Riley would turn out like Steig Larsen's character - the hulking brother who could feel no pain, so I was very satisfied by the ending. Emotional and very fitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
For me, the best book I've read in a long time. I was hooked from the first chapter and fell in love with Riley.

There was a great structure to the story and by way of flashback's, the author ensured that the reader was not left guessing anything and explained past events.

In short, it was a great read, maybe not for everyone as it did get a bit gory but for me just brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story - shame about the editing, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
This was a decent story spoiled by the worst grammatical errors I have ever seen in a printed book. The proofreader should be ashamed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant book., 24 Aug. 2014
Mr. Rb Ewing - See all my reviews
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant book... kept me engrossed from start to finish.. pretty gory in some parts and even had to skip a few paragraphs when it was too much! Can thoroughly recommend.. not sure if it has been proof read since one of the previous comments but I didn't find much wrong or maybe I was too engrossed to notice! Thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great read this was, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
What a great read this was! A story told from the viewpoint of a gangland enforcer, debt collector and head of security for the real villain. Thought provoking in parts, our enforcer does have a heart. He is a man with a very strange past of his own which has given him the edge when it comes to his ability to bear pain - very handy in his line of work. Action packed this tale has everything, lies, deceit, loyalty, love, family values and secrets galore! Read and enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars good story but..., 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
The story itself was very good. I enjoyed the tension and twists. However, I got frustrated by the poor proof reading. Admittedly this won't bother most people, but I find the lack of finesse really irritating. Lots of small mistakes in terms of grammar, using wrong versions of words and similar issues. But I'd definitely recommend it highly if you don't tend to notice these things.

4.0 out of 5 stars DECENT STORY/ GREAT CHARACTERS, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Numb: A Dark Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Got this as a free download on my new Kindle and enjoyed it. The story is fast paced and has a few twists and turns along the way. The main character was well written and the use of flash backs told his back story nicely. A little violent in places and lots of bad language but I assume that was neccessary because of the story setting. 8/10

Numb: A Dark Thriller