on 13 April 2013
I purchased two of these Bells, one from Amazon, and the other direct from Lion Bellworks.....The postage was £1.00 cheaper from the manufacturer. Beautifully made bells, Fitted to my Pashley and Road bike, and they look and work fantastic, The Brass dome etched with the manufacturers name with England proudly etched next to it. Great sound, with a lovely tone which resonates for some time after being struck...You find yourself "dinging" your bell just for the hell of it lol. Stainless fittings which means no rust too.

If you love your bikes as I do...treat them to one of these...you and your bike will be happy :). Added Note about the Customer Service At Lion Bellworks.....Absolutely Superb....How A Company Should Be Run.
on 13 March 2013
Beautifully made, although the name is laser etched on mine not stamped like the one shown in the picture.
Sounds great! As far as making it ring on rough ground, i think you'd have to ride on something so rough and at such speed that it would be unbearable to the rider and chances are you'd be snapping spokes before it inadvertently rang.
I love the fact the clamp and fittings are stainless steel, bells always come with nasty zinc plated steel fittings that start rusting as soon as you wheel them out of the shop.
Highly recommended and should not be confused in any way with the far eastern made versions.
Hell just buy it because it's "Made in England" - how often do you see that on anything these days!?
on 15 July 2012
This is an excellent quality bell. It has completed the restoration of a much loved bike. The tone is loud and clear, just whats needed when you need to warn others of your location in a friendly but clear way. Thoroughly recommend - did assess others but they were no match for this quality.
on 12 April 2012
This bell looks and sounds wonderful. The loudness and long sustain make it very effective at grabbing people's attention. It doesn't jangle as you ride over rough surfaces, and the all-metal construction means it won't fall to bits either. I was particularly pleased to see that the clamp is stainless steel, instead of the usual chromed steel (which eventually rusts). Highly recommended.
on 8 August 2013
It is the small things in life isn't it. This bell is lovely. The only risk is that people don't jump out the way but rather look around to see where the angel is about to manifest. Sounds very nice. I have just bought another three as future pressies for my cycling friends and family.
on 1 August 2013
My review is a resoundingly positive one (sorry couldn't help that one). However there are a couple of things I have marked it down a single star for.

The good news first... The bell's sound is actually full and mellow, musical - so nothing wrong there!. The description says "... with a long sustain." That also is true, it goes on and on. The quality of the brass bell dome is also very good. Isn't it great to actually find something Made in Britain, which is made proper.

Now the less positive issues. First the product versus the price, or as the Americans like to say 'Bang-for-Bucks'. I think it's pretty fair to say the Retro Bell is a tad over priced. I expected a slightly bigger bell for my 'buck'. I was quite happy to pay a slight premium for a British made product, so I can't really mark the product down for that as I accepted that from the outset.... lets just say I could have been more impressed.

The second issue is one of design. Excellent idea to use quality materials throughout, however - the brass bell dome can simply be unscrewed and stolen in seconds. Lets face it, nice shiny objects are a target. It wouldn't take much to have made it tamper proof to make it more difficult to steal. The small screw, washers and nut that have been used to secure the bell to your bike handlebars are very fiddly to assemble once you wrap the stainless steel strap around your bars.

I'd like to say that I have no problem with manual dexterity, having worked as a vehicle technician and keen DIYer for nearly 40 years, I think it safe to say this simply bell assembly shouldn't phase me, but initially it did. I lost the damned nut and had to track down a replacement which isn't stainless steel.

Okay over all I remain impressed with my product versus price.... it's a very nice looking bell with a sweet bicycle bell sound as you might imagine. Reminiscent of cycling along quiet country lanes on lazy summer days. Will you be disappointed? I hardly think so. You have no excuses left, I've warned you of the minor wrinkles - simply buy one and be happy when you ring it. Lets face it that's what it's for.
on 7 June 2012
I don't have a retro bike for this to look fancy on, but it's worth having on any bike that encounters pedestrians. It rings properly every time and a single ding is all it takes to get people's attention. All the bits look sturdy enough to take any knocks (my last mini bell was unusable after a muddy corner brought me down), and it doesn't even seem to need more handlebar space than a mini bell. If you want to have a bell, it's worth spending a bit more for something so much better than the usual cheap ones.
on 20 February 2012
A really good quality, sturdy bell with a wonderfully aesthetically pleasing retro design that suits my bicycle perfectly.
Unlike other bells I've tried, this one does not: a) feel like its going to rust/crack/fall to bits or b) is so quiet that a lot of finger effort is required for anyone to hear you!! The sound it gives is clear and loud. A highly recommended purchase.
on 28 December 2015
Quality product and worth the money if you like the retro look and sound.
Comes in its own little pull string bag, has a great polished finish, sounds as a bell should as well.
Love this bell, simple things are sometimes the best.
on 2 February 2013
This is loud! You know those little pingy bells you get that cost £3, this is *hugely* louder! Sounds nicer too, real character, just goes on and on, which seems a more polite way of telling people to get out of the way :P No more making a "piing" bell sound with my voice and wondering if people think I'm insane as they turn round mid "ping" and see I'm making the noise...

Also looks great, solid mount and made in England!

Comes in a nice little bag.