Format: Blu-ray|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 July 2012
I just love it when you watch a movie that you didn't expect to be up to much (going on some reviews.....) but suddenly you are mesmerised with it and it turns out to be a real knockout?! This is one of those sleepers.....it was compelling from the start to the finish and I would recommend this to anyone. People should go into this with an open mind and give it a chance....it deserves it! As for the blu ray, great picture, great sound and a few extras that are worth checking out too. All in all a really good movie! Learnt a few things which I didn't know from this amazing story of W and E too.
on 7 July 2012
I had mixed feelings about this film - some of the reviews had been a bit sniffy, I'd heard tales of problems with the production specifically a story about disagreements over editing. Plus, there was the Madonna question and all that came with that.

In the end, I bought the Blu Ray because the subject matter was quite intriguing. In Windsor/ Simpson we have one of the great 20th Century romances alongside those of Burton/ Taylor and Callas/ Onassis. One of those pivotal trysts played out against the decadent back drop of Europe's most stunning locations.

What do we get here? You'll maybe familiar with the tale but, briefly, it's built around the correlation between the W/E romance and that of a modern day New York couple.

What struck me within the first half hour was similarity with Marie Antoinette, the Sofia Coppolla film. Like that film some of the set pieces are beautifully filmed, in fact there's an absolutely exquisite dance sequence that appears to be inspired by the masked ball in MA. It doesn't end there, in one of the dance sequences, the music switched to the Sex Pistols Pretty Vacant. Unfortunately, whereas Coppolla uses new wave music as part of its soundtrack, the Pistols track is dropped in out of nowhere, and it's not entirely clear why.

The story hangs together well for the first 90 minutes, although the apartment of the security guard seems to be a bourgeois haven somewhat at odds with his (presumably) lowly paid role. The last 30 minutes unfortunately push the credibility envelope a wee bit too far for me. I won't spoil the tale, and you can make your own mind up on that one, but I just found it too incredible to hold water.

Regardless, it's beautifully filmed with a terrific soundtrack and the Wallace/ Edward side of the story is fascinating. For me, it's a film I'll watch again.
on 10 June 2012
I watched this while my husband was watching football , had seen the reviews and expected it to be bad. Was I wrong! This film is excellent! It was brilliant through and through. It annoys me how madonna gets slated whenshe does something different This film is well worth wAtching and when the football was finished my husband enjoyed it. I think the actress playing wally was excellent and i enjoyed the flick from present day to an earlier time. This is a film worth watching and I wll see it again many more times.
on 18 November 2012
All the official and critical reviews of this film didn't amount to much, suffice to say it went straight to dvd in some parts of the world. Personally I didn't care, I loved it. I don't know why it got such negative reviews. I am not a huge fan of Madonna, but she certainly excelled herself in the writing and directing of this movie.

The story of Edward and Mrs.Simpson is by now well known and has been filmed many times particularly for television. So I sat down to watch this latest production with some hesitancy. The story of two women in love with two different men. The movie flips frequently between the 1930's and 1998. You may think it could be confusing at times - not so. Directed in such a way that the viewer gets two stories for the price of one. Romantic and tragic at times, it moves at a nice pace as to to keep the viewer locked in. The 1930's story gives Wallis Simpson her say...Having been spurned and loathed due to the king abdicating his throne for her..I am not a historian and assume the facts are true, and the 1998 story makes the whole production a grand mixture of drama and romance. My advice: buy it and enjoy
on 1 July 2012
Being a fan of Madonna, I watched her latest foray into the world of film making with some trepidation; expecting to grimace with embarrassment for her. However, I was so joyously surprised by her brilliant directing and beautifully crafted movie. The imagery is stunning; thoughtfully and artistically presented and recorded, the costumes stylish and the acting is almost consistently good. I would thoroughly recommend this film to anyone who loves films that are visually stunning as it ticks this box for sure. Well done Madonna!!!
on 19 June 2012
I have just watched "W E" (on the date that Wallis Simpson was born, 19th June - she would have been 118 today) and thoroughly enjoyed the 1930's part of the story, which was very well filmed, with stunning locations, clothes, and music score - I loved Madonna's haunting song "Masterpiece". The film was very well acted, with Andrea Riseborough superb as Wallis, but I didn't think James D'Arcy captured the essence of Edward VIII or look like him particularly; but I really couldn't see the point of the present day story as it jumped between the two time periods - much better to have stuck to the original story.
44 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2013
I have just watched this film twice and I never watch films again. It is one of the best films I have ever seen. It is magical and haunting and I can't stop thinking about it. The acting, the sets, the clothes and the production are all amazing and I love the soundtrack. I will never take any notice of the critics again.
on 9 September 2012
I want to start by immediately declaring that I am a rather large Madonna fan; but when thinking up this review, I tried to remain as impartial as possible with regards to the quality of the film.

The story-telling aspect of the movie [arguably the chief function of a film] is unquestionably flawed. It's disorientating, switching back and forth between narratives, characters, etc. in a non-linear sequence [though I *was* somehow intensely drawn to the characters involved, despite them being so loosely developed - this is most likely due to the cast's acting ability, one of the film's saving graces] and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of meaning beneath the script - either that, or the morals and messages are so deep & subtle that only Madonna and her apologists can decipher them.

However, the film is visually stunning. So much so that it more than atones for it's lack of direction plot-wise.
I read somewhere in a professional review that to truly enjoy W.E. you should switch off the part of your brain that tries to follow plot & simply 'experience' it like you would a painting. I found I could garner much more enjoyment that way. Every set, every costume, every shot; all gloriously rich & beautifully designed. It's a real treat for the eyes, and more than once I let out a gasp at simply how gorgeous everything looked!

It's escapism at its very best. If you ever simply want to switch off & watch beautiful people with beautiful clothes move about beautiful houses furnished with beautiful things; this is the film for you.
on 27 August 2012
I had reservations about this film due to the bad previews upon its release but it's a good thing I don't usually take notice of those. I think this negativity stems from having the Madonna name attached which is quite unfair as it's an excellent film in all its aspects.
Beautifully shot (which this blu-ray enhances wonderfully in my opinion), the historical and contemporary timelines work very well together. The Wallis Simpson persepctive is thought-provoking and well told, it definitely opened my eyes to another side of the abdication - a side that we aren't necessarily aware of. I found both Andrea Riseborough and Abbie Cornish compelling and loved watching each of them on screen! This was definitely their characters' story and Madonna did a great job - highly recommended!
on 19 August 2012
When it comes to films, unfortunately Madonna doesn't get a fair crack at the whip and this film proves that because it's so good but didn't get the hype it deserves. It's not your usual stuffy period film and gives a new take on the story of the woman a whole nation hated. It gives an insight into the sacrifices SHE made. I mean there's no way you could contemplate divorcing a man who gave up the throne for your love is there? Even though you never actually asked him to!!! Showing the modern day story along side was a novel idea and gives the story some up to date admiration. A beautiful film.