Please don't take the Amazon star rating too serious - every lens has its pros and cons that I wouldn't want to squeeze into a single one-dimensional figure...
Published on 18 July 2012 by Gil De Sousa, LensTests-com

3.0 out of 5 stars could be sharper for a prime lens, I have ...
could be sharper for a prime lens, I have it on a 5D mark3. The gopro 3+ gives it a run for the money
Published 1 month ago by Tony

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide-angle prime lens with image stabilization delivers good image quality, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
A quick note about me: I have been into SLR cameras and lenses for more than 20 years - as a hobby in the beginning and professionally later. Maybe because of my technical background I started testing my own lenses quite a while ago. I have a (no longer so) little test lab of my own where I do 6 different image quality tests (after taking a lens out for a while).

The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is a compact and well-built prime lens with a nice wide-angle focal length, a good maximum aperture and a modern image stabilizer that compensates up to 4 f-stops. While the image stabilizer sounds great one has to consider that it's not as necessary in wide-angle lenses as it is in telephoto lenses - but I still appreciate it. The lens is best used indoors or for architecture and landscape photography. When using the lens with an APS-C camera the resulting effective focal length of 38mm is somewhere in between a wide-angle and a standard / normal lens and thus can be used for a whole variety of things.

The lens offers good image quality - sharpness is great straight from f/2.8 and there is only a small amount of barrel distortion visible. My lab tests have shown that color fringes ("Chromatic Aberrations") both in focused parts ("Transverse CA") of the image and in out-of-focus areas ("Axial CA") are visible but compared with its immediate peers the lens's performance is quite respectable. There is no curvature of the focal plane ("Field Curvature") but corner shadows ("Vignetting") are very intense and they are visible even stopped-down.

The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is much more affordable than the EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM but less so than the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM that doesn't have the same but a similar focal length. While it certainly delivers better image quality than the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM it is more than a stop slower which makes it difficult to use for available light photography. Of course the image stabilizer helps but it cannot prevent motion blur which is what you have to be worried about when shooting with really slow shutter speeds.

The lens that's probably most similar to the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM that was released at the same time, costs slightly less and has a similar image quality (slightly better actually). So the main difference between those two seems to be the focal length and even that's similar (but not the same).

If you already own a zoom lens covering the same focal length you are probably most interested in the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM for its good image quality, compact size and the maximum aperture of f/2.8. In case your current focal range starts at 28mm you will also enjoy the 4mm difference in focal length that will allow you to get even more of the scene into the image.

Is this lens for you? I think it really depends on how you configure your kit. If you have use for the focal length / aperture combination the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM's rugged build quality and good image quality will leave no regrets.

A much more detailed review of this lens together with all test shots, sample images and technical data is available on my website LensTests_com.

5.0 out of 5 stars A top quality piece of glass., 10 Nov 2012
I have held off writing a review on this lens for almost a year. I really wanted to see how it performed on a range of shoots in a variety of lighting conditions. With images taken on a Canon 50D and EOS 1D mk IV. My conclusion is this is truly a wonderful lens.

Handling of Flare is particularly good especially when stopped down, Chromatics are again extremely good, possibly better than any other Canon L series I have tried or own, shots of fine tree branches against a blue sky show very little of that all to familiar halo effect. Edge distortion is handled so well its hard to see any except when displaying very large images. The evenness of light and colour capture are excellent. When using the lens hood there was no visible vignetting or edge darkening.

Build quality is up to L series standard and can take assignment knocks and bumps with ease. It also seems to be good at keeping out the rain.

So what are the downsides ? Cost is one for sure, this is not a cheap bit of kit, Maybe the weight of the lens could be a factor, other than that it has to be one of the best lenses I have owned since my old Nikkor 24mm f1.4

I have compared many images from the Prime 24mm 1.4 against those from my General purpose 24-70 f2.8 L Series zoom and in all accounts the Prime lens wins no question about it. If a 24mm format is what you are looking for you really couldn't do much better than one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Fixed Focal Length EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Lens, 19 May 2012
Can Burak Bizer (london) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens mainly because I work in tight areas. I used the lens at f/1.4 or f/1.8 without any IQ/PQ problem. I'm not pixel junkie, I rather care about the image itself. This lens offers beautiful images - sharpness, contrast, bokeh, etc. It offers even considerable depth of field as wide if you have a proper object-background positioning - which I like. I use it on Canon 5D M2.

As any such wide lens, it has perspective distortions. But this is not bad (at all). This is a feature. If you want a perspective compression, you'd go for 135mm f/2 or so. Indeed, this distortion offers new creative opportunities, if you know how to use it. It will give you very different images. If you are not sure of 24mm (or any fixed focal length of a prime lens), I'd recommend to experiment with 24-70mm f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4 lenses - at fixed focal lengths (without zooming). Basically I observe that they offer quite similar image qualities. Yet, this lens is a viable option if you want the f/1.4 fastness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid built lens, 2 July 2012
P. Morriss (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
In typical style of Canon they produce a top class lens, which feels solid and gives good reliable performance. I was debating between this and the cheaper none L series and was really glad I made the choice.

I am using this lens for astro photography primarily and am pleased with it's response and speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens!!, 15 Jan 2014
J Bamrah (UK) - See all my reviews
I spent alot of time researching into this lens, I note that most comments made in various forums about focus issues were around 2010-2012, taking into account the lens was launched in 2008, I guess canon have made some changes to the lens to rectify issues? (not 100% sure about that) If your copy is not brand new, might be worth checking the date stamp. I purchased my copy brand new two months ago, thankfully no issues, focuses super quick,... brilliant lens!!! Pictures taken at f/1.4 are creamy smooth, very sharp between f/2.8-f/4.0

I currently use this lens as a general/walk around lens on a crop sensor camera (600d), Im sure it will work great on a full frame camera too. I also find that pictures taken with this lens hardly require any editing in photoshop/lightroom as the colours and contrast etc is almost perfect!! Sometimes they just need minor adjustments.

If you want to look at other peoples work produced with this lens, best place is: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Converts my DSLR to something much more portable, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I bought this lens primarily because of its light weight and focal length that is ideal for landscape photography. It is a mite on the expensive side, but the results have impressed me and I have been very pleased with the purchase. Compared with a zoom lens, it converts the camera into something that is much more portable and easy to walk around with such as on a walking trip, or on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect image quality, 5 Mar 2012
perfect image quality. worth to buy. a quite amazing lens.
it works perfect on my 5d2 body.
the image quality is much better than 16-35 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any better than this!!, 3 Oct 2013
This is quite frankly the most remarkable piece of glass I own! The lens its self is made of an alloy-so its reassuringly heavy!I presume this would be billet Aluminium,this reassured me of the build quality,especially after my last purchase which was the 100mm F2.8L Macro-which was disappointingly plastic(apparently some engineering grade plastic HOWEVER i must point out that this lens is Optically superb!!),no matter how you think about it,you feel cheated after buying one of Canons "L"s .Back to the 24mm! The build quality is fantastic,and this L is weather and dust sealed with no External moving parts,or extending barrels.I screwed a 77mm Hoya HD UV filter straight on the front of mine.This lens is capable to taking breathtaking images-with almost a 3D effect.For such a big aperture lens,this is very very sharp.Some say in reviews the edges are softer at lower apertures,at 1,4 shooting resolution charts in a studio this may be the case,BUT in real life this is not so true!And if you like taking images that look like they are trying to crawl up out the Paper,this wont bother you at all! Even reviews that have picked this up agree that by 2.8 its Razor sharp.If I ran you a A3 print out,I guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference between 1.4 & 2.8.The other massive advantage to this lens especially to the likes of the 16-35 F2.8 etc is the amount of natural light it lets in! So for internal events like wedding receptions etc,this lens is GREAT.The manual focus is great,and is actually manual through helecoids,not fly by wire like the 85mm 1.2.The only downside is on a full frame there is visually detectable vignetting in the corners,In reality however dont forget your 5DMKIII will correct this for you in camera-It may effect others who dont use that Camera,its easy to remove in photoshop!This is a remarkable lens,and with out doubt Canons sharpest F1.4 prime! If you dont believe me rent one for the weekend-I guarantee you will be buying one Monday morning!

3.0 out of 5 stars could be sharper for a prime lens, I have ..., 7 Sep 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap lens for big money. I was forced to ..., 5 July 2014
This review is from: Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
Cheap lens for big money. I was forced to buy it because this is the only one lens I can use with DJI Zenmuse Z15-5D.

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens