Please don't take the Amazon star rating too serious - every lens has its pros and cons that I wouldn't want to squeeze into a single one-dimensional figure...
Published 24 months ago by Gil De Sousa, LensTests-com

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap lens for big money. I was forced to ...
Cheap lens for big money. I was forced to buy it because this is the only one lens I can use with DJI Zenmuse Z15-5D.
Published 5 days ago by iment

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide-angle prime lens with image stabilization delivers good image quality, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
A quick note about me: I have been into SLR cameras and lenses for more than 20 years - as a hobby in the beginning and professionally later. Maybe because of my technical background I started testing my own lenses quite a while ago. I have a (no longer so) little test lab of my own where I do 6 different image quality tests (after taking a lens out for a while).

The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is a compact and well-built prime lens with a nice wide-angle focal length, a good maximum aperture and a modern image stabilizer that compensates up to 4 f-stops. While the image stabilizer sounds great one has to consider that it's not as necessary in wide-angle lenses as it is in telephoto lenses - but I still appreciate it. The lens is best used indoors or for architecture and landscape photography. When using the lens with an APS-C camera the resulting effective focal length of 38mm is somewhere in between a wide-angle and a standard / normal lens and thus can be used for a whole variety of things.

The lens offers good image quality - sharpness is great straight from f/2.8 and there is only a small amount of barrel distortion visible. My lab tests have shown that color fringes ("Chromatic Aberrations") both in focused parts ("Transverse CA") of the image and in out-of-focus areas ("Axial CA") are visible but compared with its immediate peers the lens's performance is quite respectable. There is no curvature of the focal plane ("Field Curvature") but corner shadows ("Vignetting") are very intense and they are visible even stopped-down.

The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is much more affordable than the EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM but less so than the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM that doesn't have the same but a similar focal length. While it certainly delivers better image quality than the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM it is more than a stop slower which makes it difficult to use for available light photography. Of course the image stabilizer helps but it cannot prevent motion blur which is what you have to be worried about when shooting with really slow shutter speeds.

The lens that's probably most similar to the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM that was released at the same time, costs slightly less and has a similar image quality (slightly better actually). So the main difference between those two seems to be the focal length and even that's similar (but not the same).

If you already own a zoom lens covering the same focal length you are probably most interested in the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM for its good image quality, compact size and the maximum aperture of f/2.8. In case your current focal range starts at 28mm you will also enjoy the 4mm difference in focal length that will allow you to get even more of the scene into the image.

Is this lens for you? I think it really depends on how you configure your kit. If you have use for the focal length / aperture combination the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM's rugged build quality and good image quality will leave no regrets.

A much more detailed review of this lens together with all test shots, sample images and technical data is available on my website LensTests_com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Converts my DSLR to something much more portable, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I bought this lens primarily because of its light weight and focal length that is ideal for landscape photography. It is a mite on the expensive side, but the results have impressed me and I have been very pleased with the purchase. Compared with a zoom lens, it converts the camera into something that is much more portable and easy to walk around with such as on a walking trip, or on holiday.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap lens for big money. I was forced to ..., 5 July 2014