4.0 out of 5 stars A "Found Footage" Ghost Story set Inside an Abandoned Psychiatric Hospital
This is a low budget "found footage" horror movie, where the viewer watches a video recording of horrific past events taken by an unfortunate crew of now deceased TV people.
Lance Preston is the thirty-something producer of a TV reality show called Grave Encounters, which investigates and shoots unexplained paranormal activity and events, including ghostly...
Published 1 month ago by Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Who are you gonna' call? (not these guys)
I hear there's plenty of `ghost-hunting' shows on cable TV stations these days (I can't name any, because I deliberately don't watch them, but I hear there's a fair few). Grave Encounters is a kind of Blair Witch Project set in a lunatic asylum. A documentary film crew go there to continue making a series of ghost-hunting programmes, only to find - guess what - they get...
Published on 24 April 2012 by Albatross

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars When a group of skeptics found the real one., 25 July 2012
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Grave Encounters was a pleasant surprise. The premise is hardly innovative, nor is the found-footage format and the trailers made it seem bland at best, but I found it contrary to all expectations, holding my attention from start to finish. The setup is simple. A ghost-hunting reality show conducts an investigation of a supposedly haunted insane asylum. The crew find themselves trapped inside, besieged by ghosts, hallucinations, shifting corridors and distorted time. It's not a great film, but it works. Starts off slow, a nice sense of buildup and then, in a refreshing change of pace from most found-footage movies, things actually happen. The second half of the film picks up nicely, the manner in which the ghosts are depicted is legitimately creepy, and the sense of helplessness as the characters descend into insanity and the asylum becomes increasingly distorted. The biggest distraction in this film comes from the execution of the concept itself, the filming of a ghost-hunter show gone wrong. The characters filming the show are not very convincing as actual performers in a ghost-hunting program. First of all they were not particularly comfortable or inspired in the scenes of the show - a bit stiff and not at all what one would expect when watching a reality show of this type. These are obviously actors playing the part of ghost hunters rather than actual ghost hunters, so the illusion is shattered right off the bat. Beyond that, it is clear that none of these folks have actually had any real ghostly experiences themselves, in spite of their starring roles in the show. When the first evidence of haunting comes, they are all so terrified and panicky that one wonders why they got into this business in the first place, but soon it was quite obvious that especially with the psychic character that it was meant to parody these reality shows. Many of these reality show hosts are completely fake and I liked how the film brought up this subject in a clever way. Despite the flaws I found this film to be surprisingly entertaining and the setting was very atmospheric and quite nice, the performances were O.K. I guess but it doesn't distract from the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars grave encounters, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
As a huge fan of horror I had to check this one out due to curiosity and I was very pleasantly surprised, being a straight to dvd film I was expecting the usual bad acting, rubbish affects and poor directing, all of which was not the case with Grave Encounters. Most of the reviews I had read for this film all picked on "bad acting", If you have seen the ghost hunting programs on Sky and such then you should get the obvious piss take on those programs when you watch this, Its not that the acting is bad, but the characters are playing bad actors. Fans of the Blair witch project and Paranormal Activity films should not be disappointed with this movie as it is genuinely creepy and has some great scares, I personally thought it was scarier than the Paranormal Activity films.
The reason I gave it 4/5 is because I found one of the scares a bit stupid and pointless (this being the hands one, you'll know what I mean when you see it!) apart from that it was a great debut film and I very much look forward to Part 2 which is due out Halloween 2012.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad acting - nothing more to say really, 26 Jun. 2014
K. Lawrie (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Awful. Was told this was a good movie hence why I bought it. Don't waste your money, buy something else. Acting is awful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intredasting, 24 April 2014
Arun (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
So this is one of those horror films belonging to the "found footage" subgenre. If "The Blair Witch Project" or the Australian "The Tunnel" ring a bell, then this one is very similar in cinematography.

Basically we have a group of teens/twens who are hosting a ghost investigation television series and in their final episode, they investigate the "most haunted building in America", the fictitious Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital and decide to spend a night there, making sure the groundskeeper locks them in from the outside so they have no chance of escaping until dawn for that added spooky effect.

What follows are events that turn their adventurous and daring stay into a desperate attempt at escape, but this movie shows how a mere chain holding the entrance shut is not what prevents them from leaving.

I found the film quite entertaining, and oftentimes felt like I was part of the crew, trapped in this huge abandoned mental asylum. Not for the faint hearted and claustrophobic! 3/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Freaky, 4 Oct. 2014
Very good. Quite freaky, had me and my sister holding my blanket up to my nose towards the last half hour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scares, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Came very quickly, bit of a slow build up but it gave me a laugh scaring the crap out of my man with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential parody for fans of Ghost Adventures, 27 Aug. 2014
Chris (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Interesting if rather cliched take of Zac Bagan's Ghost Adventures documentary series. Check out those before checking out this, don't take it too seriously, and you can have plenty of laughs at this as well as scares. Sure - maybe I am weird laughing at a horror - but I don't get those who say it is awful. Everyone seems to expect to be terrified even after they've conditioned themselves to the jumps and jitters intended by these films.

Grave Encounters (see what they did there with "Ghost Adventures"? Geddit? Hahahah!! Ahem....) is nowhere near the top of my horror movie collection (early Halloween and the old Twilight Zone series took gold and silver for those) but it can still kill a few hours - especially when you have Grave Encounters 2 straight after. Man, I love long watches. 24 I watched back to back constantly over several days so I like long sessions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wierd and more like a comedy, 4 Jan. 2013
Daggerwin (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Grave Encounters is certainly a different film compared to most horror films out there. I certainly wasn't expecting some of the things that happened such as the time change (I assume it went back in time judging by what was happening.)
In my opinion they could have got rid of at least half of the constant swearing as it got really silly and made the whole thing a lot less believable. It was gripping at times but other parts did get silly and makes you lose interest.
It is certainly not the worst film in the world as it was quite well produced and the setting was very believable however it is a long way from perfect or being the best film ever. It felt more like a comedy to me because of how people reacted to the strange goings on etc.
I probably wouldn't watch this film again but it's okay the first time.

3.0 out of 5 stars yes very good, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
I love this dvd and it had all I like to see in a horror or scary dvd and I would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome To another episode of GRAVE ENCOUNTERS!, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
Annoying Host lol but love the Movie good and freaky! Very good Horror Documentary stylee!

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

Grave Encounters [DVD]
Grave Encounters [DVD] by The Viscious Brothers (DVD - 2012)