on 4 May 2012
I got Mortal Kombat on PS3 when the game very first came out and loved it.
The idea of getting it on Vita was appealing to me as it seems like the kind of game I could pick up and play in short bursts quite happily. (on the train and such)

The Vita version of Mortal Kombat it absolutely fantastic.
I've hardly stopped playing it all day.

Almost every single element of the original game is in tact for the portable version.
The entire story mode, the challenge tower, the unlockable costumes, fatalities and concept art...

There are even some new features added specifically for the Vita, such as touch-screen gestures for Fatalities which some people may find easier to memorise, though if you dont want to use them you dont even need to acknowledge that function is there.
There are also quite a lot of new Vita based minigames added in a separate challenge tower, and there are some really VERY fun ideas in there.

Obviously the graphics had to be downgraded in order for the game to fit on the Vita, and though they aren't quite as nice as in some of the other Vita games, the game does look very nice and though the models are less detailed the animations and attention to detail has not been sacrificed at all.
Every movement and piece of gore is just as wonderful as in the home console version, even the animated backgrounds are fully intact.

The game runs incredibly smoothly, which can be very important for a game of this genre, and the loading times are absolutely phenomenal.
They could easily be better than the home console version.

The online multiplayer has been simplified quite a bit, but still runs very smoothly and works very well.
It would be nice to see it refined and made a little more similar to the console counterpart in patches, but the current state is more than enough and does a perfectly good job of getting you in to matches quickly and keeping track of your information.

If you played Mortal Kombat on PS3 or 360 and want to get a portable version, you will not be disappointed by the conversion done here.

If you never bought the game before, I can highly recommend it to anybody that has played a previous Mortal Kombat game and enjoyed it, or just anybody with even the most fleeting of interests in fighting games.

So long as you are not intent on having the best possible graphics, I would even recommend the Vita version over that of the home console, as it comes with all of the DLC included as well as a substantial amount of content you will not be finding anywhere else.
on 24 May 2012
To echo a previous reviewer, I'm not actually that into fighting games (ironically the last beat em up I properly enjoyed was MKII on the Amiga) but this has me hooked.

I was initially worried that I'd buy it and enjoy it for a little while, but ultimately end up leaving it to gather dust on the shelf... not so. I've hardly removed the card from my Vita since I got it soon after launch and am astounded by the amount there is to do on there. I'm not even half way through the story or either of the challenge towers and I'm doubtful I'll ever gain mastery of even one fighter, let alone all of them! (Admittedly, this slow progress MIGHT be because I'm a bit useless at fighters on account of my general ambivalence towards them...)

Obviously the amount of stuff there is to do would mean squat if it wasn't any fun, but this ticks all the right boxes there too. The gameplay is fast and fluid and, while not requiring any great skill to enjoy, is extremely deep and clearly needs a lot of work to fully master.

All in all, this was £30 VERY well spent and I would recommend it to anyone... unless they're squeamish!
on 22 November 2012
Gameplay is really good and responsive and plays just as well as the console versions.If you like mortal kombat then you wont be disappointed with this version.
on 5 November 2012
I got my PS VIta as a gift. I'm an iOS nerd and was initially disappointed as games cost more than, you know, 69p. (I'm so spoilt by the app economy on the iPhone and iPad)

Mortal Kombat is so much fun! I have it on easy mode. It's amazing; I love fighting and killing. It's not surprising that it has an '18' rating - even though it's fantasy/cartoon voilence, it's not suitable for little ones!
on 6 August 2015
This is the first Mortal Kombat game I have ever played, and I have to say, I've found a new love for this franchise. Mortal Kombat is a 2.5D fighting game in a similar style to Tekken or Street Fighter.

I found the main thing that sets this game apart from all the other fighting games out there are the characters and customisability. All the characters are unique and interesting enough to make you want to learn more about them and play through each of their individual ladder battles to see their individual endings. There is tons of content to unlock in the krypt, using koins you earn in game to unlock different content such as character costumes and finishing moves.

The only qualm I have with this game is that perhaps the graphics are a bit outdated for today's standards, even for a handheld game made in 2011/2012.

Overall a great game that will have you occupied for months!

(The PS Vita version includes all the DLC previously released for the PS3)
on 7 December 2012
First I've played mortal kombat since the days of the mega drive. Was brilliantly surprised how in keeping with the original game play this was. Its the best fighter I've played in a long time.

The story mode is epic, and great fun. The only issue I found with the whole game was once you are more in a higher difficulty or a way through the story mode is the tactics of the CPU has resemblance of a 5 year of button basher who has found one nearly unstoppable move and just repeats it over and over. Fortunately there are not many characters which possess such a move so this is only an annoyance rather than a game spoiler!
on 2 January 2015
Love this game, with the Ps vita's touch and swipe it adds more to the game. Sadly online is no longer available due to Gamespy closing their servers, so if you feel that you have mastered Mortal Kombat at the highest level you cannot test yourself against any other players. But this game over a lot even without the online part of it. Tower mission, test your balance etc will keep you entertained. Story mode is long for a fighting game and each character has their own ending.

However if your a Pro at Mortal Kombat I wouldn't really recommend as you may find yourself getting bored pretty quickly hence the 4 stars.
on 29 September 2013
The best mortal combat for a long time. I have this game for my Xbox 360 as well and it plays pretty much the same. It plays like a classic 2d fighter, the moves and combos or intuitive and is fun for amateurs and enthusiast gamers alike. My wife likes to play from time to time and she is not really a gamer. The training mode in this game is also good for learning tactics and how to string your moves together. The story mode is also much fun with great voice acting and cut scenes. The only down side to the vita version is that the graphics are not quite as good as I thought they might be. But they are still impressive.
on 31 March 2013
One of the best games i have played on my vita, the graphics may not be of the standards of the ps3/360 but the gameplay is very much the same and is great fun to play
on 11 April 2016
This game is an awesome port of the ps3 version theres only a few diluted parts to the game and thats the graphics, the character models dont look that great the damage and blood stains are there and all the brutal fatalities the only bad thing i would point out is the cutscenes in story mode are all prerendered then when i kicks into proper gameplay you see the diffrences in graphics but to have the full game in youre hands is a godsend same as doa5+, street fighter x tekken and umvc3 its as close to the console version as it gets so go buy it NOW!!!!!

See one answered question