5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic scale, now even better with improved setup!
I bought the Fitbit Aria to track my weight and keep my progress updated easily. It seemed like the ideal choice as I already use the wonderful Fitbit tracker.

Out of the box, the scale looks terrific. It's very attractive and has a clear display.

Published 22 months ago by Danielle

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
This is a beautiful bit of kit and would look great in any bathroom. It’s relatively easy to set up but please note that the process isn't a totally idiot proof. The customer support line (via email) is excellent – both helpful and friendly if you get into trouble. You’ll get there in the end if you have problems.

Be aware that the scales go...
Published 12 months ago by Nina Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic scale, now even better with improved setup!, 18 Sep 2012
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I followed the instructions and began to setup the scale, sadly this is where I had some problems. Using my Mac, setup repeatedly failed to complete. Fortunately, I had my phone handy and was able to complete the setup from there (as suggested in another review). Setup then completed successfully and I was all set.

At this point I hit problem number two, the results. The scale appeared to be wildly inaccurate with the displayed weight changing +/- 8lbs each time I tried it. Convinced it was faulty, I was about to give up and return it.

Then I noticed my Aria displaying a message saying it was updating, so I waited.

Over the next day or two I noticed the Aria update itself several times, so I patiently kept waiting until it was finished.

What a difference the updates made!

Now the scale is consistent, accurate (only 2lbs different than the one at slimming class, and always the same difference), and has better BMI detection.

After the updates the scale becomes a brilliant product with loads of functionality, stylish looks and is consistent and accurate, though they still need to fix the setup problems.

In summary, a 5 star product which is let down a bit by some niggles.

**UPDATE** - I have now updated my rating to five stars. Late last year FitBit significantly improved the setup procedure making it much simpler; the niggles are gone and this is now a five star product :)
It's also helped me lose 5st since purchasing it :) x

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 5 July 2013

Be aware that the scales go through a process of calibration and software updates over a period of time before setting into a routine. That can take weeks and I can see why some users have ditched the scales early on. It didn’t bother me.

My major grip is that the scales cannot be moved after use without affecting the calibration. This means that if you stand them up or move them somewhere else when not in use they need up to 5 weigh-ins before they’re accurate again (according to the support team).

In practice for me this meant the first weighing was inaccurate – out by 5/6 lbs. I’m not referring to natural weigh differences during the day; when I put the scales on the floor after standing them upright and weighted myself 3 times in quick succession, the first one reading would be massively out.

I found this too annoying and sent the scales back. I think others tend to keep the scales in the same spot all the time and don’t have a problem or just weigh themselves twice.

I did also notice a software glitch with logging your weight (if you use stones/lbs). The support team told me they’re working to resolve that issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work well with Stones and lbs, 22 Jan 2014
Very disappointed with the scales and if you want to weigh your self in stones and lbs then it's anybody's guess into how much you weigh.

Example:

The Aria scales display 12 stone 5 lbs
The iPhone App says you are 12 stone 6 lbs
The Fitbit dashboard says you are both 12 stone 6.1 lbs and 12 stone 5.6 lbs

So you have 4 weights to choose from so how much you weigh is anyones guess.

Reading on fitbit.com's support forum this is not unusual. Coupled with a moderator on forum that saying to someone else you can expect fluctuations of +/- 2 lbs in accuracy each time you weigh yourself what is the point in spending so much money on a set of scales that can't make a decision on how much you weigh and possibly isn't telling you the correct weight even if it could.

Bearing in mind these have been on sale at Amazon since May 2012 (about 20 months) you would have fought Fitbit would have the guessing games sorted by now. Maybe the Americans don't grasp the context of Stones too well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childsplay to setup, Very accurate and uploads perfectly, 8 April 2014
I honestly cant understand other peoples negative reviews on here regarding these scales. They just seem to leave bad feedback because they cant follow instructions.
Download the fitbit app, go to the website link and follow the simple instructions. All you do is connect to the scales wifi, tell it to connect to your home router Wi-Fi and its done. It was working in 30 seconds.

I weighed myself 3 times and they were the same every time. I held a 7.5lb gym weight and weighed again and it was exactly 7.5lbs more so I have no doubt about the accuracy.

People have been moaning that other people, not registered to the fitbit website, cannot see their BMI on the scales. They don't seem to understand that the scales need to know your height to be able to calculate this. How do they think the scales will know this information if you don't tell it?
Some one even commented that you have to disconnect from your Wi-Fi, connect to the scales Wi-Fi then disconnect and join their home Wi-Fi again. Stupidity !! of course you don't !! if they had set it up right and followed the instructions........... jesus !

These scales look smart and do exactly what they say. I'm very impressed. DONT LISTEN to the idiots on here who are saying its rubbish just because they cant set up a simple Wi-Fi connection or who are probably weighing on carpet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome addition to the Fitbit range, 16 Sep 2012
Really like my Fitbit Ultra, so when I heard about the Aria Scales, I ordered them straight away. Took about 2 months to arrive, but meanwhile reduced in price by 20!

Still quite expensive at around 100, (hope my wife doesn't read this!)

Quality is good, and attractive appearance.

It is very important to use these scales on a hard base, I have used a large ceramic tile. If you use direct on carpet you will get very erratic readings (in common with many other scales) The instructions do cover this. Once you have settled on a position, keep in same place.

From the WiFI point of view, the setup was easy, scales are in a bedroom and it found my router which is downstairs in a room on the side of the house, so a good test. Easily set up my wife as a second user,(you do this via the software on the computer to add a user) because she is much lighter than me recognises her straight away. For users of similar weights it suggests likely initials and you select the correct one. Computer does not even need to be on, as it all links through your router. Mine is latest Virgin one.

Have found the readings to be generally very consistent, did have a period of around 5 days when Body Fat reading lowered quite substantially, then it reverted to normal thereafter. At best this is only an estimate anyway.

Weight readings occasionally record 0.1 of a pound lighter in Fitbit than the reading on the dispay - hardly a major problem! Syncing is very consistent, perhaps only one in 25 fails to sync, but always goes second time. You need to stay on the scales until syncing has confirmed to get best results.

I have certainly not had large fluctuations in weight like some people report, I think some of them were probably not using on a firm base. Generally if I repeat the weighing I get exactly the same result. For consistent results day by day, always weigh yourself at around the same time, and bear in mind any retained body fluids etcetera can cause quite a variation in reading!

In common with other Fitbit products there are no printed instructions. You have to go on line to read them. This has the advantage that it is easier to keep them up to date, but some people will find this irksome.

Love the way it all integrates into your Fitbit account, and also any other apps you may have linked to your Fitbit.

I think perhaps they sould be around 25 cheaper, this may come with further sales, but also will be influenced by similar products (e.g. Withings)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product but problematic setup, 30 April 2013
This is a beautifully designed and thought out item, it works great once set up, it is solidly and stylishly constructed. However I had terrible problems trying to get it attached to my Wifi network. I have worked in IT support for over a decade so am no slouch when it comes to technology, but the downloaded installer kept throwing up script errors when I moused over buttons to confirm log in details, which prevented me from progressing at all. Even when I tried downloading the installer on a different computer with a different operating system, I got the same error. There is little or no support info on-line beyond the standard step by step setup guide.

But, there is an alternative setup method if you have a smart phone. You just direct your phone's web browser to [...] and follow the instructions. This will talk you through disconnecting your phone from your home wifi briefly, then you will connect to the Aria's wifi network (just like connecting to a router's web interface to configure it) tell the aria to connect to your home wifi network, give it your wifi password, then reconnect your phone to your home wifi. Once that is done you will see the Aria on your Fitbit account, where you can tweak a few settings like Lbs/Kilos etc.

I short, excellent product, very pleased, if you have problems with the downloaded installer use the smartphone/web setup.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, 25 Sep 2013
Bought the scales as I have a Fitbit one so wanted to be able to log everything & sync to the app. The scales are awful, they don't weigh correctly - varies 5lbs on weigh in in the space of 5 minutes. The fat percentage is completely out & again varies each time you weigh even if you get off the scales and get straight back on again. Not value for money at all & I would be returning if wasn't outside the return policy period - had used for a month to give them the benefit of the doubt but get more & more annoyed each time we use them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fluctuating readings, 13 Jun 2012
Was really looking forward to using these scales as we each have a "fitbit" and wanted to use the scales as part of that regime. However, although they arrived on time and were easy to set up they have to be the most wildly inaccurate scales I have ever used.

1. They weighed us all 4-5 lbs less than my existing Tanita scales which tallied with GP scales and those in the gym. ( Some might see this as a plus point!)
2. The readings of both weight and body fat fluctuated wildly with approx a 3-4lbs difference in weight and 1-2% difference in body fat over a series of readings taken minutes apart-the scales were on a tiled floor so completely flat and therefore you would expect them to be virtually identical each time even allowing for a slight difference in stance.
3. Emails to Aria support were not registered therefore could get no advice from the company.

Thankfully Amazon were excellent as always and I am returning these scales. I do not know if I have been unlucky and just got a faulty set of scales so have accepted a replacement set. I will update this review in the next couple of days but at the moment i would not recommend them to anyone.

UPDATE...........

Well-second set arrived today. Set up seemed to go as easily as yesterday but then kept getting "No Sync" message or "Sensing" "Thinking". Removed the batteries for a while and resetup. So far-with a few glitches the measurement do seem to be reaching the fitbit account-albeit a bit slow but at least they practically mirror those of the GP and Gym scales (truth hurts when your weight jumps up 5lbs in 2 minutes!). Also only a very slight fluctuation in weights over several minutes i.e. 0.1 of a lb. I have left the grading at 1 to see if the glitches disappear and will update again if things turn out fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sporadic results, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale (Sports)
Pros: beautifully packaged, beautifully designed product. Compliments the bathroom. Simple to setup. Simple to use every day - just stand on, wait a few seconds, stand off.

Cons: I've read this in many places now and the same happens for us - if you get on, take a measurement, then get off and back on and take another measurement, the numbers are wildly different. Wife tried it four times and got four different numbers. Will be writing to Fitbit for answers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm not sure how smart this is..., 29 July 2014
MP (Winchester) - See all my reviews
Setup for a single user was reasonably straightforward, and syncing with MyFitnessPal and the FitBit dashboard works well, but adding multiple users just simply doesn't work. It involves sending an invitation email to the other users so that they can set up a fitbit account, and the email process has been broken for the past few days. I'm sure it will get fixed, but a 5 day outage of an online service is poor to say the least, and leaves a terrible first impression.

The other aspect of the Aria which has me worried is the accuracy of the scales - repeat weighings over a 10 minutes show a range of weights (only by a few hundred grammes which is about the same variation I saw on my cheap digital scales) but the fat % calculation is different every time - even when the weight is the same, so I'm sure it's much use.

I expected better for the money so at the moment I'm not sure if I'll keep the Aria - currently thinking about returning and buying the Withings WS-30 instead. If you're thinking about buying these then I'd suggest checking the FitBit community forums first to see if the various issues have been sorted yet : https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Help-Forums/ct-p/product

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scales - White