Really great item for what it is made for - as long as you know what it's made for :)

Published 4 months ago by S7

3.0 out of 5 stars Leak-Proof - Not Really. Keeps Warm for 3 Hours.
This is a good travel mug, and certainly one you should look into if you're going to have it in a cup holder. If you won't, it has some disappointing failings.

Leak-Proof:
Published 19 months ago by CantuMoran

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 18 Sept. 2010
Mr. A. K. Hodges (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
Initially I bought a Bodum Vacuum Travel Mug, Stainless Steel with Black Lid and Band, Large, 0.45 l, 16 oz from Amazon and I found it leaked from the hole in the "drinking" flap in the top. I therefore returned it to Amazon and bought instead the Contigo® AUTOSEAL® Stainless Steel Travel Mug which is 100% guaranteed not to leak. I have had this item for over a week and it does not leek because of the clever locking mechanism used. It also keeps drinks hot for 4 hours - so it is a much better buy @ around the same price. It also contains the same amount of drink (16 oz) as the Bodum Travel mug. A word of warning is that as it keeps drinks hot for so long you can forget this when you first use it and burn your lips if you are not careful - pour it into a cup is the answer if you need a drink within the 1st 30 minutes. Buy the stainless steel version as that is 100% dishwasher friendly (unlike the colour versions).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic item - perfectly designed for its function - as long as you know what its function is!!, 12 Mar. 2015

Ok, first things first - For those of you looking for a THERMOS FLASK, in other words, a product that will keep your chosen beverage boiling hot for hours and hours on end, THIS IS NOT THE PRODUCT. I've had a proper Thermos flask and after 24 hours i poured out my tea and it was still hot. This product will not do this.

This product will keep your tea/coffee hot for a few hours tops - 3- 4 hours max. Which is exactly what it startes in its claims. The product doesn't contain glass, nor is it a superbly vacuum insulated product - the stopper design is ingenious, but will still allow heat loss - much more so than the traditional screw-top Thermos flasks. It consists of a double walled steel container, which means it will transmit heat more than those made of glass and plastic/ glass and metal. As a result of both of these factors, its function is very specific - short term insulation.

So, why would you use this?

Well, remeber, it is designed as a travel mug. Its not a massive flask with a cup on top. It's purpose therefore is to simple last you on your travels and keep your drink nice and hot.

So, its 7am in the morning. You make your 400ml cup of tea, pop it in the travel mug, and off you go - driving/train etc. When you want a drink, you press the button and take a sip. 8am - you can still sip. 9am - still sipping and happy. 10am still sipping and well into my mornings work. 11am - just about still nice to drink. Then just refill if your workplace has a kitchen/tea making area. And of course do the same for the journey home.

So its function is just that - a very convenient, excellently made travel mug - exactly as it states, nothing more, nothing less.

Try this with a THERMOS flask? In a moving car where you are a passenger, just think of unscrewing the cup, unscrewing the lid pouring the flask whilst cradling the cup on your lap, risking the liquid falling onto your lap - and if you are the only person in the car and driving..well it's clearly dangerous to even attempt! Even in a parked car, there is still that risk! And you have to stop of course :) Wasting your precious time. Then you have to drink it carefully without letting it spill on yourself as you go over bumps and turns. Then you have to repeat it again if you want another cup.

IN short,

What this IS: this is a perfectly designed TRAVEL MUG, suitable for commuting, and also a little bit into your day :)
BUY THIS IF: You want to drink your tea/coffee while you commute to and from work, or on your travels in the car.

What this IS NOT: This is NOT a thermos flask. It will not be suitalbe for anyone going camping/fishing/hiking for extended periods of time. If you take this on an 8 hour hike, your tea will be cold.
DON't BUY THIS IF: You actually want boiling hot tea.coffee after 24 hours. Instead, buy a real thermos flask.

My wife loves it - she makes her tea in the morning, and gets to sip it as she drives along and also when she gets to work. Perfect. It's also very easy to clean, and the new design has a lock button which stops the button being pressed accidentally. We bought the Red Contigo one 470 ml. ALthough it says 470 ml, you can only realistically put in just under 400ml, as the rest of the space is needed for the lid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contigo West Loop Autoseal Mug, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Raspberry (Kitchen & Home)
As a coffee addict who travels over an hour to get to work, I got quite frustrated with many different types of travel mugs I tried. They kept my coffee warm but all had the same problem: They were leaking. So I had a look at what else is on offer and when I read the good reviews for this product, I decided to spend a bit more and ordered it.

It arrived safely and after cleaning it to make sure I don't have unwanted smells or an unpleasant taste in my coffee, I wanted to see how good it really is. I wouldn't normally let my coffee sit there for hours but I was curious to find out how long the mug keeps it hot. After 3,5 hours (full mug), it was still quite hot and even after I drank some, it didn't cool down as quick as it does in my other travel mug. The plastic lid doesn't smell or taste weird and that's another plus because I have another travel mug which wasn't cheap and it took a long time to get rid of that plastic taste and smell.

The Contigo West Loop has a good size. I have what I would call medium sized hands and I find it very easy to push the button at the back of the lid, which is partially rubberised. So far, I didn't burn myself because the coffee doesn't come shooting out and I won't end up with a lot more in my mouth than I expected. The lid also has a hole (autosealed) to let steam escape when you're drinking from it.

I've tried a lot to make this mug leak but I guess unless I use brute force, it's not that easy. I had a full mug sitting upside down for hours, walked around while shaking it, put it in my bag, on the car seat. Nothing. It doesn't leak. I finally found my perfect travel mug! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 1 Oct. 2010
Although more expensive than similar items this is worth extra money. It is completely leak proof and keeps drinks hot for at least a couple of hours. The only negative thing I can say about it is that the cup can't go in the dishwasher, although the lid part is dishwasher proof. Apparently the silver coloured version is totally dishwasher proof, something to do with the coloured finish. If I'd known this I would have bought the silver one.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best travel mug ever, 10 April 2014
Jacqueline (Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this mug! I've been using this for a while now as it takes me ages to drink a hot drink. I can fill this at 8am, throw it in my backpack and it's still too hot to drink by 11am if you don't vent the stream. I am usually still sipping my apple tea by lunchtime and it's still hot!

I've read others saying it's hard to clean but I've found it fine. A squirt of washing up liquid, boiling water and a good shake is fine. Occasionally I'll leave it to soak and use a bottle brush, but a colleague of mine usues a denture tablet for coffee stains about once a month.

I use mines daily and the paint is starting to chip off of the bottom, there are a few scratches and a small chip on the side, I have the green one and considering I throw it in my bag and have dropped it a few times it looks great.

Handy tip - you can use this in a well known coffee chain and get 25p off the price. Great for a hot chocolate to go. Ask for the smallest size, they fill it right up to the top anyway 😜

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, 9 Oct. 2010
Completely leak proof/spill proof. exactly what i needed when i'm out travelling on the motorway...although you gotta be careful because i was a little afraid to drink the coffee from the travel mug with it being so hot..you've got to let the coffee cool down slightly before putting the top on. Overall a good product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leak-Proof - Not Really. Keeps Warm for 3 Hours., 3 Jan. 2014

Leak-Proof:
It is, but it isn't (bare with me). Once you have the lid screwed on tight you can hold it upside down, chuck it around, whatever you like; and not a drop will come out. However, if the mug doesn't sit upright and liquid touches up against the lid then then the second that you press the button to open it a small amount of the contents will be forced out by the pressure; leaking on to you and potentially burning you. I don't see this being much of a problem for vehicles with cup holders; but anyone walking or carrying this in a rucksack should be prepared to clean up.

Time Drink Kept Warm:
I've found that it keeps my coffee warm for about three hours. Any longer than that and it's lukewarm (at best) and very quickly declines. However, it keeps it near kettle hot for 2 and a half hours, so I've found I've got roughly 30 minutes where the drink is at its best.
Note - I do follow the instructions to pre-heat the mug with hot water, but I do walk to work and I'm giving my times based off of December/January temperatures; so this is more of a worse case scenario.

Build Quality:
It's lasted well enough, however I've got the blue one and the paint is extremely fragile. By that, I mean it started to peel off when I took the barcode sticker off of the bottom. During my trips to work and back, it's really starting to look battle scared without much reason to. Looking at the other reviews; this does seem to be an issue with the coloured versions, but the plain silver one should be alright. If you don't care much about appearances then this shouldn't be a problem.

Plastic Taste:
Unlike other reviewers, the mug I've got does have a noticeable plastic taste, sadly, although it's much better than any other mugs I've had before. I've tried various things with the lid, but can't get the taste to shift. I've also gone through a wide variety of coffee types (machine, instant, french press) and intensity and it's there for all of them.

Would I Recommend:
This would depend on how you plan to use it, really. If you're not going to be outside all that much, it would keep the drink warm for a long time and so would be better and also you wouldn't have to deal with the leaks when pressing the button. However, if you're out and about a lot, or there's a chance that the mug will not be sat upright, I'd say it's best to try and find an alternative.

Would I Buy Again:
Oddly enough, yes. This is only because I've yet to find anything as leak-proof as this. If I do; then that'd be the end of me and this mug.

Overall it's good. Just not good enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, does the job!, 24 Oct. 2011
I am fussy about my tea - it has to be of a specific premium brand and nice and strong. I am also the kind of person who can't cope without a cup of tea in the mornings but just dont have the time as I rush around trying to get ready for work. Having to resort to buying weak, watery tea from the train station vendor just didn't cut the mustard. So I needed a travel mug that I could use for my own lovely tea but also allow me to throw into my handbag as I rush out of the door in the mornings. This is just perfect. It doesn't leak or spill and keeps my lovely, strong tea hot on my morning commute. It has made me far less grumpy on cold Winter mornings which is a good thing all round!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leak/spill proof - Great, 24 May 2011
Have used the mug several times now, following a recommendation from my sister. It has been completely leak/spill proof. It retains the heat very well (I have to add cold water to my black coffee so I can drink it comfortably over the following 2 hours). I have literally thrown the mug onto my car seat and no leaks or accidents whatsoever. I am a great fan of dishwashers but to be honest don't feel the need to put the mug in there as all it needs is a good rinse out after being used. As other reviewers have mentioned, if you do want to put your mug in the dishwasher then you need to buy the silver coloured mug.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Travel Mug EVER, 5 May 2013
Last year I realized that I was spending over 500 Euro buying coffee at work. This was definately an area that I could address in order to save money!! I purchased a Tassimo coffee maker (Espresso..Latte...Cappucinos...) in order to make some quality coffee at home. Now I needed to find a way to safely transport my lovely coffee to work. I read all of the reviews and watched customer videos that rated this Contigo West Loop Autoseal Mug and decided to splurge (you get what you pay for!). Well, it has been 5 months now since my purchase and I can honestly say that this travel mug is worth it's weight in gold! I warm up the mug with hot water and then fill as recommended to below the cap threads. I then throw the mug into my handbag. Never once has this mug dripped or leaked or spilled a single millilitre of liquid!!! The seal on the lid is amazing! When you depress the "serving button" you can hear the hiss as the heat and pressure is released. My coffee stays hot in the mug for 3 hours and there isn't any taste of plastic off of the cap. The mug itself is very stylish and has a great ergonimic design... feels great to hold! I absolutely love this travel mug and would DEFINATELY purchase another. I am saving a fortune by making my own specialty coffee and am confident that this mug will transport the contents safely. I cannot recommend this product enough. DO NOT HESTITATE.....BUY THIS ONE!!!