5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fun from start to finish
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent Kindle Gamebook. No more and no less
Overall theirs a few things that can be said about this book but their isn't much that really needs to be said. Its a decent gamebook targeted at the audience who read fighting fantasy books growing up.
Published 20 months ago by Paul Teevan

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fun from start to finish, 7 Nov 2012
Amazon Customer (Blandford, England) - See all my reviews
I spent many a happy rainy afternoon reading fighting fantasy books as a kid in the 90's. Having purchased this book on the kindle, it took me right back - dying in horrible and interesting ways multiple times! It has a simple system for fighting, your hero has a choice of three classes which have unique opportunities in the dungeon, and it never tries any overly complicated story lines.
It is very hard not to get killed, and to stand any chance you need to know about and collect magic equipment along the way. Many people reviewing this book say that is a problem - for me that added to a game book not meant to be taken seriously, and allowed me to play again and again.

Awesome book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Having a great time with this, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Renegade Wizard (Gamebook 1) (Adventure Begins Here) (Kindle Edition)
We're thoroughly enjoying this in our household - and it seems to work especially well on a kindle. We have it downloaded onto two machines now, one for me to play with my younger son and another for his sister who has insisted on making her own female character, complete with name and back story, to play alongside Toby. It takes a little bit of juggling, but it seems to work really well adding another player into the mix. Sometimes the female hero chooses to go a different way, leaving Toby to struggle on his own and then meeting up with him later (we supply the dialogue and thought processes as to why she let him go into that scary cave/room/door alone!. Sometimes she chooses fight alongside him, in which case the two heroes are satisfyingly victorious. We're having a great time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly enjoyable adventure, 31 Jan 2013
This Fighting Fantasy book was given to my son as a present. On a rainy night I picked it up from his room and decided to give the adventure a try. I am no fan of computer war games so I did not expect much from this book. To my surprise, I could not actually put it down (only to roll the dice), and I was busily fighting various creatures well into the night. Having got killed twice I learnt my lesson, and in my third adventure I collected plenty of Healing Potions and used my Hero Points wisely to finally defeat the Renegade Wizard. The mathematician in me was also thrilled to encounter the Monty Hall Problem on my way through the mines. Ashley Martin's upcoming adventure book, the Dragon's Deep is definitely on my Christmas wish list!

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent Kindle Gamebook. No more and no less, 24 Oct 2012
Paul Teevan - See all my reviews
Its not remotely fresh or new, and the plot could not be more cliche (a wizard has gone rogue and evil, and only you can stop him!) but its competently executed and generally pretty fair (especially as the Hero Point mechanic lets you reroll any die roll, avoiding the luck screw element of many other gamebooks). The encounters aren't anything special but do at least require a little thought. The path through the adventure is mostly linear, but their are a few turnings where you might have a chance to find useful items. Theirs a small class system which is interesting(WIzzard, Warrior or Rogue, which translates to some small tangibly related perks), though one of the classes is clearly better than the other. The fighting is a little better than fighting fantasy, while still being fairly simple (take turns rolling to hit defence, attacks deal fixed damage based on what they are minus armour. Health points are low enough that this actually means swift meaningful combats).
It will probably take you a few attempts to beat the book, partly because theirs a small trial and error aspect (nowhere near as bad as some fighting fantasy books, thankfully)
Overall this is a decent but not exceptional book. Its about as good as a mid range Fighting Fantasy, on par with something like Stormslayer (not as good as Howl of the Werewolf or Night of the Nercomancer, but a helluva lot better than Blood of the Zombies or Bloodbones) its not something I'd recommend every person race out and buy, and its certainly not worth buying a kindle for, but if you own a Kindle and you have the hunger for a fighting fantasy like book, this is definitely worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Feb 2014
I've only read a few adventure books so far, and this is the only one from this series that I've done, but it was well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 29 Sep 2012
If you enjoy the Fighting Fantasy books of the 80's you'll love this adventure. The adventure is a welcome challenge - I spent a lot of time getting killed! Good old fashioned fantasy fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 12 July 2012
Probably the only game book for Kindle. This is the reason of the two stars. But the quality, especially of the key elements of a game book, is very poor.