5.0 out of 5 stars A quick and hugely enjoyable read!
I've never hid the fact that I am a sci-fi reader before a fantasy reader, but every now and then a fantasy book comes along that I look at and just want to read. Songs of the Earth is just such a book, not as hefty as some other novels in the genre but the blurb makes it sound interesting, the fact that it's the first part of a planned trilogy even better. I won't lie,...
Published on 12 Jun 2011 by Mark Chitty

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this...
... but for me, the book just didn't offer enough that was fresh and new to keep me interested. I think it was always going to be difficult to do a 'old man mentors young man in arcane ways' sort of story if you don't have an exciting, fresh new twist to put on it, and this just didn't to me. The genre is big and getting bigger, with old fantasy tropes being given fresh...
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Edain

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a story!, 9 May 2011
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The summary does not do this book justice by a long shot (in fact it gave a very poor depiction of this wonderful book)! Goodness me, if this is her 'debut' I anticipate with great excitement her future literary endevours. I could barely put the book down - if it wasn't due to the needs for food, sleep and a job, I wouldn't have!

Gair is an orphan, now grown to be a man and imprisoned because he can do magic, which is a sin according to the church. Magic, in this world, takes the form of the 'song' of the earth which can be accessed to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the person, and used to create fire, mould water and earth and other things.

Somehow, Gair is spared burning at the stake and finds himself the protegee of a fellow called Alderan who takes him to a school where he learns of his most amazing gifts (even among the gaeden - those who hear the song) and that the history of his world has been conveniently altered (naturally).

I recommend this book most highly. I am only sorry that the next installment is not until next year!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could do better, 15 May 2011
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gair is about to be burned to death as a witch but is saved and escapes to a college where his skills in the Song (magic) are tested and developed.

The first hundred odd pages are full of action and excitement, the next 200 are set in the college where the usual things happen, he makes an enemy and falls in love. In the last hundred and fifty pages things get going again to the climax of the story which is pretty good and yet somehow just lacked a little extra spark that would lift it into the top rank.

All this is interspersed with occasional chapters dealing with other areas of the story. One or two these come together at the end but with others we will not know what it is all about and what happens until future books.

Well written and enjoyable but I really could have done with a bit more action and excitement in the middle section of the book. I feel that it all could have been livened up quite a bit.

Will I buy the rest of the trilogy? Possibly, even probably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs of the Earth, 4 April 2014
Songs of the earth Excellent read left me wanting more can't wait to read the sequel to this book I was totally engrossed

1.0 out of 5 stars A turd, 20 Mar 2014
I really thought this was going to be a good one. The authors i enjoy are Erickson, Gemmell, Sanderson, Brooks (some), Donaldson( when i was at school incl Eddings, Margaret Weis) Abercombie, Brent Weeks and Hobbs. This book was recommended on fantasy faction and having read it, I do feel this was recommended because she is a female author and not on its own merits.

The book is absolute tripe. Characters are cardboard cut outs, plot is obvious and it uses the standard fantasy tropes found in numerous other books.. do yourself a favour and keep away. I find it really strange that people are giving this 5 stars. The writing is even sub par.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 19 Jan 2014
J. Tasker (Crumlin, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
Have just finished this book and will definately be reading the rest of the series. I want to know more of Gair and what happens

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read from a new author, 15 May 2013
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed reading Songs of the Earth. I found that I kept wanting to find out what happens next and so, for me, it was quite a page turner and definitely a great effort from a new author.

That said, there were definitely elements that could be improved upon and I hope that the next book will be even better. Two main things irritated me a little - the first is that the direction in which the story goes is pretty predictable with very few surprises along the way which was a bit of a shame. The second is that I found the characters, and particularly their dialogue, a little stilted and unbelievable at times...but I would hope that the characters would be given greater depth in the next installment and that they grow with the story. If I could, I would have given this book 3.5 stars as I did like it, but it probably doesn't quite merit a four star rating in my opinion.

That said, this is an enjoyable read and I will probably read Book 2, (Trinity Rising), at some point...

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs of the Earth, 15 April 2013
E. B. Gibbs (Wales) - See all my reviews
Had this book out of the library and loved it so much that I bought both it and the second book. For those who love Anne McCaffrey this is a must. The story and characters are compelling and draw you in right from the start and the emotions roused at the end left me in tears. Elspeth Cooper can certainly write and I look forward to more from her pen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boooooring...., 3 Mar 2013
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book (like so many these days for me) started off exceedingly well with a great start about a guy who escapes execution by the skin of his teeth for witchcraft, and told with very atmospheric prose and excellent writing from what I understand was a debut author at the time of writing this book. But shortly after this, it becomes exceedingly boooooring... Having reached about one hundred pages in, the story was draaaging... I have a rule that if you get one hundred pages in - even after several times of wanting to give up sometimes prior to that, then it really is time to stop, as any book should have your attention by this time in my opinion.

As another reviewer has already pointed out; there's too much narrative about unimportant things... Whilst I know this can be made far more interesting when the style of writing is above average (and this is) it still lacks something... Despite plenty of mystery, the excitement for me was missing... I also felt that there was a little too much mystery at times.

I've left this, but I do usually try to give books I've not finished a second go. I tend to leave a marker at the point I reached first time around, and on a second go, if I don't get any further without feeling the same, then I ditch it...

Pity about this novel, it really did seem beautifully written and promising at the outset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs of the Earth, 8 Nov 2012
Brilliant characters, good story line and its got that special 'magic' that some fantasy books just try too hard to do which Elspeth Cooper achieves seamlessly. I eagerly await book three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs of the Earth, 11 Jun 2012
Loved this book looking forward to the next installment. Good flowing story and life like hero the story keeps you interested till the last page.