4.0 out of 5 stars Get this book!
This is a gripping read that had me sneakily pulling my Kindle out at work so I could find out what was going to happen to the characters next. It is rather like Stephen King's "The Stand", but at a more manageable length and actually more horrible in some places. Robertson has a talent for suddenly pulling out a grotesque event or concept without much over-emoting, and...
Published on 13 Mar. 2012 by Felicity

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great
Not really sure what to say about this..........

Whilst the premise was interesting and I did enjoy it, somehow some parts of the story seemed a tad......'unbelievable...??' (yes I know it's a story about aliens, but it involves a real world relative to the reader).

Examples would be the character walking to California from New York or wherever...
Published on 12 Jun. 2012 by Longshot

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging start to a very promising series, 16 April 2013
David Robinson (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this book, and have bought and devoured the subsequent two "Breakers" offerings as well. It's a sci-fi book, but the sci-fi part of the book is almost secondary to the characters themselves and their stories. The effect the apocalyptic virus has on these people is what kept me up reading late every night, fighting to stay awake to read a few more pages. One main character in particular I didn't think I'd grow to love or even like too much, as their initial introduction is not of someone you'd relate to in a positive way...but they grow on you, and their journey (quite literally) is what makes this such an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't bother reading the description before getting this book as I like post apocalyptic stories so much and I full expected a zombie invasion but what I got was similar to At the End which is also a great read!!

Congrats to the author for this strange tale

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but..., 12 Aug. 2014
Jack (Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Well I did read it all the way through, but it felt more like two (or possibly three) different books loosely connected. The first part is fairly standard end of the world plague and left me not really liking any of the "heros". It felt simplistic and disjointed. The second part had a completely different tempo, and whilst that was welcome it did not become any more coherent. I can't imagine that I would want to read Book 2. On the plus side, this book is certainly complete and is not just the first part of a series as the title implies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking tale!, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Edward Robertson's done a great job with this first in the series. Like other reviewers I couldn't put the book down (just as well I was on holiday) as the tension mounts throughout the book. There are sufficient characters to bulk up the story and I personally enjoyed the depth of description the author uses. So glad there's a follow up!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series. Have read 6 so far and can't ..., 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Excellent series. Have read 6 so far and can't wait for the next ones. This is the first of a set of interwoven stories telling not only the tales of the characters but how mankind would react when the worst happens. People complain that it's not Shakespeare but that's good because I don't want to read Shakespeare. I want a story with serious action, decent characters and plenty of witty, if threatening, one-liners. This series ticks all the boxes, you won't want to put it down, definitely getting the rest of the set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ebola meets ET ?, 22 Oct. 2014
Anthony V (Sidmouth Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Good books and stories have a tendency to spoil my wife's holiday.
I can't put them down. When i should be doing other things. Bad news.
A lot has already been said about this .
A a taster If one can remember a UK TV series 'The Survivors' either version will do. Set in the USA and end it with a version of Independence Day and you won't be far off.
If Doomsday scenarios are your thing enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leprechaun, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is very very very good & the story creeps up on you.

The author entwined two major characters together on this winding journey into apocalypse with a tale full of anti heroes I was dreading the end of the book but was delighted to find it was the first of a series so I'm about to read,the next instalment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to start..., 14 Mar. 2013
Mr. A. Hill "Nevyn" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The novel started very well. The gist is that a plague has wiped out most of humanity, and the book follows those who are immune from the outbreak onwards.

There is a varied cast of individuals, all characterised very well, and the way they cope with the end of civilisation varies from person to person.

It starts out like an intelligent take on something similar to Survivors, and I read avidly their tales... And then the aliens turned up.

It's not a surprise to anyone who read the blurb that aliens are in it, and yet they ruined, for me, an excellent book.

It went from something exploring character development and plot and specific well thought out pacing, to a bog standard action adventure story. The first half of the book could have been nearly anything without affecting the second half remotely. And it spoiled the reading experience for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant - riveting rollercoaster, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. I mean I really loved reading this book. The marriage of the two genres worked incredibly well (separated by the simple act of looking out of a window) and the characters were so well defined that none took precedence in my affections and I turned each page eager to find out what came next. In short - real page turner. The first half for me was comparable to 'The Stand' and the second half Weber's 'Out of the Dark'. Both being excellent books reveals the regard in which I hold this particular book. Many thanks to the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good effort, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Breakers (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A lot better than most self published ebooks. Somewhat unrealistic at times (yes I know it is science fiction) and lose some of the irrelevant jokes. Some good descriptive moments and the relationships are nicely described. Will definitely read more by this author.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›