5.0 out of 5 stars Time to thicken up the action.
For those of you who have read Delirium and saw how it ended. Yeah... you can't (hopefully) blame me for wanting this book asap.

"Love, the deadliest of all deadly things.
Love, it kills you.
Both when you have it ...
And when you don't."

Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Becky L

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the promise of "Delirium"
In the first book, the plot was driven by the protagonist, Lena.

In this book, the plot is driven "behind the scenes" by the shadowy Resistance, and Lena merely responds to things that happen.

This makes everything feel rather unreal -- things happen with no explanation. People know things without us knowing how they know them. Rather than having a...
Published on 22 April 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to thicken up the action., 24 Feb 2012

"Love, the deadliest of all deadly things.
Love, it kills you.
Both when you have it ...
And when you don't."

The first thing you notice when you start reading Pandemonium is the format. Delirium was straight forward, one sided, bog standard story telling. Pandemonium alternates between each chapter. But instead of alternating between different characters, like in most books, it alternated between Lena in two different time zones. These are known as "Then" and "Now". "Then" are the chapters following the events directly after the end of Delirium. "Now" is based several months afterwards, in New York, where Lena is working from the inside to bring down a pro-deliria organisation.
I loved that it was done this way. It just made me want to continue reading. As one chapter ends you want to continue to find out what happens next but, of course, you have to read the alternate chapter before you can. And then it happens again and again ... until you have finished the novel.

This book was full of ACTION, ACTION, ACTION with suspenseful parts in-between. In both time lines, we are following, there is plenty of reason to keep reading. Much more than in Delirium. My favourite chapters were defiantly the ones in the present. They popped up a lot more questions and have much more suspense. Anything that keeps me reading and become distracted (yep I didn't eat dinner) warrants a 5 star.

In the past, we get to meet Raven and a lot of other new characters. It was interesting to see how the invalids live although we didn't get to know them as much as I would have liked. Surrendered to get the plot moving I suppose so not too down heartened. Don't want to spoil the plot too much.

Cue new boy on the scene. Meet Julian. He is the exact opposite of Alex. He wants the cure! Then he meets Lena and things start to change. I feel competition brewing. Unlike Alex, he has the naive likeability factor. You just want to help him out. Sometimes I get a little annoyed when a love triangle is introduced but this one makes me excited to get my hands on the next book.

One thing I didn't like so much was the fact Lena spent a lot of time thinking back to Alex and not acting on it. She believes him to be dead and therefore is slowly trying to get over him and move on. However it would have been nice if she talked about him a bit more with other characters.

OMG! Lauren Oliver you are soooo mean.

Horrible cliff-hanger at the end of Delirium.
Horrible cliff-hanger at the end of Pandemonium.

NOW I HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Also reviewed at [...], 24 Feb 2012
This book was amazing, Lauren has outdone herself. I enjoyed reading this so much, the writing just flowed from start to finish.

I had one big question starting this book. Did Alex survive? And a big part of me saying, "please let him be alive". I don't want to say "yay" or "nay" and spoil this book for anyone so I am going to review it without going too much into the storyline.

Pandemonium is written in alternating chapters of 'now' and 'then'. In the 'now', we learn the story of Lena's emergence into the Wilds and how she deals with the struggles and hardships of this new way of life. A better way of life?

Through the 'now', we see Lena working as part of the resistance, and she is about to embark on her first mission.

The ambience of this book is very downbeat throughout. Lena really struggles with her new life in the Wilds and at times, even wonders if she wants to survive. Life is hard in every way and sickness and death are a regular occurrence without access to medical supplies and often, a shortage of food.

There are a lot of new characters and I did lose track of who some of them were but it didn't impede on my following the story. The main characters are well written, identifiable and likeable.

We see a completely different Lena than we did in Delirium. She grows into a much stronger person, in every way, character, mind and body. She is amazing.

The ending of this book is explosive. While the book was suspenseful at times, I really didn't see the ending coming. It is probably the happiest part and my heart was in my mouth. Then it ends on one hell of a cliffhanger.

In Delirium, we see life from one side of the fence, the Cureds. In Pandemonium, we get to see life from the other side, the Invalids. I can't wait to see what Requiem will hold for us.

Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton Publishers for providing a copy of this book for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving this series!, 19 July 2012
Why must we wait a year for the final book? I want the final book now! This series is amazing so far, its such a new topic. It is a totally new way to look at things. At first I hated how this book went from Then to Now because every chapter ended with a cliff hanger!!!!! But I learned to live with it, and I fell in love with this book too (No pun intended). If you haven't picked up the first book in this series yet, Delirium, then you are missing out! These books are amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars good second book, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Pandemonium (Delirium Trilogy 2) (Kindle Edition)
This follow on to 'Delirium' is pretty good. I liked the way the chapters alternated between past and present. Visually descriptive, I could see it as a film. I think I enjoyed the first book best, but Pandemonium is good enough to carry on and read the final in the trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down!, 4 Aug 2012
This review is from: Pandemonium (Delirium Trilogy 2) (Kindle Edition)
Wow, this book was amazing!
I didn't think Lauren Oliver would be able to live up to Delirium with this book but she defiantly did!
But I have to say it did leave me with the same empty depression that it is over to which delirium did.
Can't wait for the third and final book in the series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 July 2012
After reading some great reviews on this book I was excited to read the sequel to Delirium. It liked the way each chapter was set in the then and now because it allows the reader to piece together a puzzle in a way and creates such suspense!
The book was full of action and also has a sneaky bit of romance too, which I know upset some people because of what happened to Alex at the end of Delirium but it was okay.
Overall, I loved the book and read it really quickly but I definitely had higher expectations due to the reviews I had seen and personally I enjoyed Delirium more.
Although, without giving too much away, Lauren Oliver leaves this sequel on a nice little cliffhanger at the end so I will definitely be reading the third book when it comes out!
If you've read Delirium you must read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly beautifully written story, 18 May 2012
Alison for Big Book Little Book

This is the second book in Lauren Oliver's Delirium series. There will be no spoilers for this book, but there may be for the first.

In America in the future the Government have found a cure for love. Everybody must go though the procedure that removes the capacity for love around the age of 18. Those who refuse are considered terrorists and locked up, children are kept separated so that they can't succumb to the disease before they are cured. Lena grew up believing that this was right, that love was a terrible thing that damaged society, but that changed. Now she finds herself on the other side, a runaway, an invalid, she now lives in the wild with others who don't believe in the governments cure. But life here is a constant struggle for survival and among these people lie the Resistance, those prepared to try and change the regime. No matter what the cost...

Pandemonium is a very different book to Delirium. The book talks of two different timelines in alternating chapters titled `Now' and `Then', with both strands told from Lena's perspective. This technique really succeeds in ramping up the tension as you become engrossed in one aspect of the story only to be thrown into another. It's also very successful in drip feeding the reader with essential information until the two threads are pulled together at the end and everything makes sense. The main character, Lena, is almost unrecognisable from the Lena we Knew in `Delirium' in the `Now' sections. The `Then' sections fill in the gaps in her character development but make the reader see how she got there in a totally believable way. Lauren Oliver's exquisite writing shines all the way through, just as it did in Delirium, even with the change in how the book is put together. Incredibly descriptive it takes on an almost lyrical quality at times. I honestly think I could read anything written by her, whether I was interested in the subject matter or not.

Pandemonium very definitely fits with the Dystopian Genre. Although the Government does not play as big a role this time round it is still a dominant theme. It also looks at how any side will do whatever it takes to further their cause. But to me it is mainly a book of self discovery with the romantic elements of the first book taking more of a back seat.

As for the ending, wow! I was kind of expecting (hoping) for something along those lines, but I was not expecting it to be quite so brutal. I think Lauren Oliver must go down as the Queen of the cliffhanger ending.

Verdict: An incredibly beautifully written story of self discovery set against a dystopian backdrop. With an ending that leaves you desperate to find out what will happen next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not how I expected it to go..., 5 May 2012
Gemmy (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
So, after the massive cliffhanger at the end of Delirium, I found myself going into Pandemonium wanting to know what happened to Alex. And we don't find out, until the last paragraph! Grrr. Again, Lauren Oliver's writing is beautiful and I loved learning about The Wilds, however I did feel a little bored at times, but I think that's because all I could think was, where's Alex?? I liked Julian but I didn't want Lena to forget about Alex and I was willing her to stop falling for Julian. I found the back and forth from now to then a little frustrating, but again, I think that's because all I could think was, where's Alex!

Great book, keeps you guessing, now have to wait for the last book in the series to find out how it all ends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as Delirium, but not quite . . ., 22 April 2012
This review is from: Pandemonium (Delirium Trilogy 2) (Kindle Edition)
Not quite as enjoyable as Delirium or Hana, but very good nonetheless. Seemed to lack some of the credibility, which I felt the others had (even although they were, quite clearly, unbelievable - worth a read, if you enjoyed the others and it has not put me off reading the final book, when it comes out next year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delirium book 2, 29 Mar 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I'm going to assume that if you're reading this review you have already read Delirium - if you haven't then whatever you do don't keep reading because I can't talk about Pandemonium without mentioning a major spoiler for the first book! If you are new to the series then it's one I'd definitely recommend though so make sure you check it out.

OK so now we're down to the people who've read Delirium (last chance to look away if you don't want spoilers!) can I just say how much that cliffhanger ending killed me! It feels like I've been waiting forever to find out what happened to Alex after he was captured. I'm not going to give you any hints about that though so you'll have to read the book for yourself to find out if he survived or not. Now as much as I enjoyed Delirium I did find the first half of the book was a little slow while Lauren Oliver set up the world for us explaining the amor deliria nervosa disease and how people were cured. That wasn't the case with Pandemonium though and the story was action packed from beginning to end.

Throughout the book we are following two separate story threads:
- "Then" which is set just after Lena escaped into the Wilds, she is taken in by a group of Invalids and has to learn to live in a world that's very different to the one she grew up in. Lena has to toughen up, learn hunting and survival skills and we really get to see her grow up as she settles in and starts to make friends.
- "Now" is set several months later, Lena has joined her new friends in the resistance and has infiltrated the DFA (an organisation called Deliria-Free America who are campaigning for the cure to be administered on people who are under 18). It is her job to find out as much as she can about the DFA's plans and report back to the resistance.

I really enjoyed following each story and discovering more about life in the Wilds and the resistance movement. Pandemonium was certainly a page turner and I didn't want to put it down for a minute until I reached the end. As I'm sure anyone who has read Delirium will expect there were some shocking twists and turns as Lena learns who she can and can't trust amongst her new friends. I have to admit I wasn't too keen on the new love interest in Lena's life though. Julian did grow on me as I got to know him but I didn't really feel a connection between him and Lena and he definitely can't compare to Alex (in my books anyway!). Once again Lauren Oliver leaves us with a killer cliffhanger (although I'll confess I spent the whole book keeping my fingers crossed that something like that would happen!) and has left me desperate to get my hands on Requiem. It's going to be another long wait for the next instalment to this series but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Pandemonium (Delirium Trilogy 2)
4.49