5.0 out of 5 stars The original translation, possibly the best
Quite possibly the greatest novel ever. Certainly there is nothing to compare in terms of quantity and quality combined, and compared to other very long novels Proust is easy to read. His writing is so beautiful, the famously long sentences full of a glorious wit and insight, that I found this semi-fictional memoir a great pleasure to read, so much so that I have now read...
Published on 9 Jun. 2009 by Phil O'Sofa

2.0 out of 5 stars Remembering a thin slice of time
To embark on the journey that is Proust's seven-book series takes a certain amount of commitment and, fittingly, time. I had decided from the outset that I would sample this first effort then, if I was swept away by the narrative, continue on the journey until I ran out of patience or ran out of books.

I knew little of the subject of the series. It was...
Published 2 months ago by Mr N D Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondered what all the fuss was about then found I ..., 8 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
Wondered what all the fuss was about then found I couldn't put it down and did not want it to ever finish. wow. Started it again straight away. I'll definitely be reading more Proust (if I can ever stop reading Swann's Way)

4.0 out of 5 stars beautifully evocative, ending both satisfying and open to possibilities, 26 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
Slow moving at first, beautifully evocative, ending both satisfying and open to possibilities, like real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great literary feast, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
I fond this heavy going but soo rewarding. A great literary feast!

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up on it, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
Although I could appreciate the sprawling, poetic sentences, I found it boring, long winded and repetitive. I didn't feel enough of a connection with the author/narrator to hold my interest, and I found the style a bit too self indulgent. Maybe if you have more in common with the author, through your class background or age, you might find it more to your liking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 April 2015
Very pleased with service and order.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is proving an uphill struggle, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
Hum. Fair transition to the Kindle - a few funny things going on but that may be just me.

Others have commented on the translation and I think I may have made a mistake by not heeding them. I'm finding this a bit hard to get into ~ it's a bit stodgy and not very flowing.

I could be making the mistake of reading it at the same time as reading Dickens Two Cities. In which case it's all my fault.

Will persevere and possibly revert to a different translation to see if a lighter or modern take brings it to life. CW.

7-11.12 ~ Am getting the feeling that this is really only for clever people. It just stinks of superiority now. Plus serious lack of chapters ......

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
not yet finished. I will get back to you at a later date. too many words to fill in so

5.0 out of 5 stars stolen kindle, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
This is the first volume of the classic 'remembrance of things past' by Marcel Proust and is an excellent indicator of things to come in the following volumes. The whole tome is an analysis of the sociology and psychology of people in general and major players of 'La belle epoque' of turn-of-the-century Paris in particular. Just like the TV series 'friends', no aspect of human perception, interaction and creativity is left unturned.
This is the original Scott-Montcrieff translation and is certainy worthy comparison with other, later tanslations.
I have read the whole series twice before (yes, it is that good). Keep a dictionary handy.
Unfortunately my copy was on my kindle which was stolen by cleaning staff at Heathrow airport from an Air Canada flight, having left it in the seat pocket (one isn't at one's best after a 9 hour arctic flight.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old Proust, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
I've started this (in book form) a few times. Maybe this time, I'll finish it. This may not be the best translation. however.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last - a second chance, 14 Jun. 2012
Eleni (Middlesex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swann's Way (Kindle Edition)
When I was very much younger I attempted to read Proust and found him somewhat indigestible. However, thanks to Kindle, I have a second chance to find out why everyone else seems to rave over him. Being now retired, I have more time and patience and, who knows, I might even get through the book this time.