5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones
Best place to start with these headphones is the price point, its a little high but you do get exactly what you pay for.

Published 19 months ago by Jamie

For the first time in 30 years of buying Sennheiser headphones, I find myself having to return a pair of Sennheisers for a refund. I'm a big Sennheiser fan; I currently have the HD 595 for the Hi Fi, the HD 380 Pro for work, the MM 450-X when mobile, and the PX 100-IIi as a spare. I've owned many others over the years.

I um'd and ah'd for several weeks before...
Published 19 months ago by Jon White

2.0 out of 5 stars NoiseGard ruins the sound - don't buy if you're depending on the noise cancellation, 17 Feb 2013
Jon White "rockbloke" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

I um'd and ah'd for several weeks before deciding to take the plunge and buy the MM 550-X, having mainly been influenced by the excellence of the MM 450-X - I wanted a larger version of the 450 with the same functionality.

First impressions
===
When they arrived, I paired them with the BTD 300i APT-X adapter plugged into the iPad and fired them up. Setting up Bluetooth devices is simple, as long as you look at the instructions first. I thought the sound was a little hollow immediately, but I just thought they'd need to be run in a bit. I thought the build quality was excellent, and they are very comfortable. I imagine they could be worn all day without discomfort.

NoiseGard: noise cancellation
===
I carried on experimenting with with the settings on different music types, and with different settings on and off, and the results were always the same: with NoiseGard turned on, the sound quality is more like AM radio; it was as if the life had been sucked out of the music. The only near-acceptable configuration for noise cancellation is when using a wired connection. This completely misses the point for travel headphones: many users will want to use them without wires, and having a wired connection prevents the use of the headphones for calls. In each case, NoiseGard seems to hollow out the sound, a bit like boosting mid-range frequencies while leaving bass and treble slightly down. It does, however, do a fairly good job of cutting out the background noise. Outside, I was unable to listen to the headphones without seriously compromising the sound quality.

SRS
===
Speaking of mid-range frequencies, the SRS setting works like a loudness button on an 80s-era stereo - it boosts bass and treble way up, and cuts the mid range significantly. That might be great for a poor sound source, or for cheaper headphones, but I was unable to find a single track where the sound was improved.

Conclusion
===
NoiseGard works reasonably well, but at huge cost to the sound. SRS it absolutely useless in my view, unless you love loads of distortion in your music. Combining the two will make you ill, I'm quite sure. The price of the MM 550-X in no way relates to the sound quality - you're meant to be paying a premium price for all the additional functionality, so if the additional stuff doesn't work, what you have is an expensive pair of headphones that sounds like a mid range (or budget) pair, depending on the configuration.

If you want a pair of headphones with good noise cancellation, stay away from these, and take a look at the MM 450-X; they're excellent all-rounders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 550-X BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES (Electronics)

The sound quality is excellent and the issue with volume actually is not a problem, at least not for anything I have used the headphones on, through bluetooth I simply max the volume on my phone / bluetooth dongle and then use the volume control on the headset, and the headphones actually hurt my ears on full volume I am forced to lower it down slightly. (I have sensitive ears but these are no means quiet.)

Wired the headphones run in two modes, wired passive (Battery on charge / turned off.) In this mode the audio is passive and though great quality the volume is limited by the power of your device attached and thus i found for phones and similar the volume though fine could not get loud enough and none of the extra features such as noise guard functioned. (However it does tell you this in the manual and was expected.)

Wired + power, turning the headphones on so they are active rather than passive allows the volume to reach ear hurting levels once again, and the sound is beautiful, you can now use the noiseguard feature and the SRS feature and the sound quality even with eveything enabled is amazing. (Sound quality is best without noise guard and srs, but in a noisey environment they are very useful and work brilliantly.)

Talking on the headset works wonderfully well and the headset itself is very light and covers your ears fully. The sound is the best I have heard over bluetooth reguardless of using APT-X or not, though when using the better codec the sound quality is just as good wired or wireless and these are an amazing peice of kit, so long as they are used properly.

The fact you can charge the battery and still use the headphones, using wired or wireless and with all the accessories you get, these are easily 5* headphones and the best I have owned, especially when combined with my sound blaster HD titanium on my pc, and high end mixing turntables when wired.

Would definutly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those rare times blowing a huge amount of money didnt bother me, 16 July 2012
I can't really add much that hasn't already been said, so for a more detailed review look at the others. This isnt ment to be a professional review, it's just my experience and opinions based on it.

First what i have connnected to using bluetooth;
Samsung Galaxy S2
HP touchpad
HP Pre 3
Sony PS Vita 3G
Acer Revo 3700 Nettop PC with a cheap dongle

I assume i would have no issue with my PS3 either i just havn't tried yet.

Some said about volume being too quiet, for me it is plenty loud enough, though i do find it does make a difference what your connected to in the first place, as some on that list were definately louder, Vita being one of the quieter ones or was when i was play MGS2 in the HD collection i have no music on my Vita to test. It was better however than my Vita constantly shouting out "Freeze" as i held up guards for their dog tags.

Had the headphones about 2-3 weeks now and not been able too use them too much due been busy at work, working 50+ a week over 6 days. I definately havn't been able to use a full charge yet, though i have been to town with them on one weekend and they were great.

Before i got these i was using my Vita earphones, and although they were often loud enough, i could always hear way too much of what was going on around me, and when your on the bus that can be annoying to put it mildly. Kids crying, parents yelling at them, all the things that turn a bus journey into a nightmare, all came through clear as day.

That first journey on the bus to town was when i knew even if paid 350 these were staying with me. Music playing at a comfortable level(probably no hearing damage caused :)) and i couldn't hear a thing, no kids crying, parents yelling, traffic or anything else. I put it down to both the noise canceling and the full cup that completely covers my ears and even though they cover completely i find they cause no discomfort and no sound leakage, it's a pleasent experience and one i plan on getting used too :)

I probably wore them about 4hrs or so that day, though for about 2hrs at a time, as i went cinema inbetween i probably had them off about 2hrs as well. Never found them uncomfortable though i'm still getting used to all the features and getting it to do talk through when i want it hardly ever happens, i usually end up pausing and lifting them off. I am hoping that in time i will be able to stop doing that.

That day i was using the Pre 3 with the headphones, pretty much emptied the Pre 3's battery but connection was solid except for one instance when someone walked past me at the bus station, i assume he had something on him that caused interferance as it was only a split second as he passed me, town had been fairly busy and had no problems til then.

I did in the past have a faily cheap pair of bluetooth headphones, some motorola on ear neckband ones, which were decent enough, but did cut out and stutter at times when i turned my head too far round, like crossing a road so it was annoying, a samsung clip one was the same when worn round me neck, turning my body too much caused it to stutter. Had no issues like that with these connection has been far more stable than my past experiences.

I listen to a variety of music from pop to rock, with some rap and hiphop inbetween, and for most of these i listen to both english artists and japanese artists. Most sounded great, some needed the noise cancelin turned off or the audio profile changed on my phone to give it the sound im used to. That is to say these feel quite balanced, unlike my friends Dre Beats headphones, so i think i get a better overall experience and one im happy with.

I don't make that much, and i'm not an audio freak i have no idea what some people are talking about in their reviews about sound quality and the highs and lows of it. I purely wanted to see what the most expensive bluetooth headphones i could find would be like, what they could do, and if all came to all and i wasn't statisfied i'd return them and go for some cheaper ones, til i either found some i liked or just settled for some that did the job. Well compared to settling for some that do the job im probably 300 worse off, but i wouldn't trade back to a cheap pair just to get the money after experiencing these. A bloke from work said they don't look much, and i was actually kind of happy to hear that as unlike Beats few people will know what these are, which makes me feel safer wearing them outside :)

As a quick list of why i would recommend;

*Solid connection compared to past experiences
*No sound leakage
*Blocks outside noise well
*Balanced sound(dont know how else to put it) not flat as such but not too heavily aimed at one type of music
*Very comfy
*Battery is overall fairly good 10-20hrs depending on the features you use, likely wont need more than that between charges, after all bluetooth is largely for mobile devices, which will probably be dead long before the headphones are

5.0 out of 5 stars Another quality Sennheiser product - particularly good for flying, 9 Nov 2012
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a Sennheiser MM450 headset for over 18 months I leapt at the chance to try its bigger, updated brother the MM 550-X. These over-ear "full cans" look very similar to the 450s - same style buttons, in fact the same controls full stop, and the same battery, and don't weigh too much more either. In the box with the headphones is a nice carry bag containing some instructions (booklet and CD), USB charging lead, mains charger with a selection of adaptors, audio adaptors and a stereo cable. Again, similar to the MM450, and the similarities don't stop there.

Physically the 550s look good and feel like they have the same good build quality of the MM450, and having use the MM450 for as long as I have I found that the way it pairs, and the way the controls work, were identical (barring new features of course). The electronics have been updated, and these headphones also support a kind of surround sound (SRS Surround Simulation) as well as noise cancellation and hands free calling.

Before we get started using the headphones I'm going to cover the controls. They look a bit daunting to start with as there are seven buttons on the right earpiece that provide everything you need to work your headset. Sennheiser have clearly done some careful research here as it is easy to work out which button is which by touch.

The five buttons on the side control power, volume and next/previous functions. The central power button doubles, no, trebles up as play/pause when listening to music, and answer/hang up when calling while the two buttons on the bottom manage bluetooth, noise cancellation and other auxilliary functions via long and short pushes.

So once you've charged the battery, hold down the power button and the while plastic around it will flash blue. Keep pressing until it flashes blue and red - now you can pair the headphones with your phone, tablet, laptop or whatever. The headphones can remember four devices, so when you pair with a fifth, the one you lose is the one you haven't used for the longest time. Once paired you can independently adjust the volume of audio on the headphones as well as on the device it is paired with.

Phone calls can be answered just by pressing that middle button - the headphones have their own 'ringtone' - and and the phones I use will pause media if playing, and then resume when you hang up. I've paired these headphones with my Mac and a couple of Android phones with no issues - Sennheiser have a good track record on compatibility and I don't expect any problems with my tablet either.

In day-to-day use I've found these headphones comfortable to wear and, being over-ear, much better than the MM450 at noise cancellation. Battery life is good with Sennheiser quoting 10 hours of audio playback or 20 hours of calls, reducing by about 20% if you use noise cancellation. I've yet to be certain that I'm getting this much out of them, but its certainly in the ball park. Overall I've found these headphones to be well made and easy to use. They give good sound quality and have good battery life. And when the battery is flat you can still use the headphones (for music, anyway) via the supplied stereo cable.

Now the MM450 series headphones are cheaper than these with most of the same functions - but if you're looking for headphones because you do a lot of flying then pay the extra and get the 550s - they are more comfortable to wear over an extended period of time and when you go to sleep they won't dislodge. And of course the better seal means better noise cancellation too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear sounds all day long!, 22 Sep 2012
I was only used to wired headsets, but haven't owned any for several years. I've been quite used to the in-ear type. But recently everyone's enjoying sounds using the headsets and I thought I'd search for a decent pair. I researched extensively, and remember testing the Bose QC15s a friend had about a year ago. I do remember they were really good with the noise cancellation. But I decided to invest and have the bluetooth option and selected the Sennheiser MM550-X.

The Sennheiser packaging was great, Amazon sent the product earlier than expected and was also packaged really well like always!

I think the battery in the headset is fully charged since you need to pull out the plastic to allow contacts to connect the battery. The quick start guide explains all you need to know, simple to pair with my Samsung Galaxy SIII. The sound was superior to any previous headset.

Only thing I'd like to change is the carry case, the QC15s come with a great hard case, and I was considering to buy that for protecting these reference quality headsets!

I love the build quality, the sound is great, the SRS is top notch and really enhances the sound. I'd like a little more oomph in the sound so I've ordered a mini Fiio 11 amplifier, and will have to use them wired, but then again that may overcome the slight advantage the Bose QC15s have with active noise cancellation.

Definitely recommended, if you're a bass head these won't appeal. I used to like heavy base but I wasn't that impressed with the Beats. These have great high, mids and balance bass, and I've matured to appreciate the quality as opposed to the loudness. The plan with the amp is to drive from the amp and reduce distortion from the source.

Anyway, it's worth the money and there are some great reviews on you tube to help decide what to go for.

Happy listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just waht I needed, 28 Jan 2013
Mr. Stephen Cuss (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 550-X BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES (Electronics)
Great headphone despite some other recent TV show reviews, works gerat with iphone and other equipment great for audiobooks and music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive and extremely good, 22 Oct 2012
Ed.F "edz314" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I could do a very short review: "unbelievably brilliant", or with a bit more depth "unbelievably brilliant and here's why".

The brilliance is assured, these are great headphones. The why is multifold. The build quality is, as expected, very high. These are solid, comfortable phones which combine a great feeling of strength with lightness, around 175 grammes which disappears on your ears. The cups are generous and comfortable. The pairing with my phone (Galaxy S2) was a breeze. Sound quality is excellent, with surprising bass and great fidelity. Note the bass isn't as good as some wired headphones but it's excellent with rich deep tones on the dance music I enjoy on the commute into work. Charging is from a standard micro USB and took about three hours initially with each charge easily covering two 1,5hr commutes a day. The sound cancelling is a real surprise, completely drowning out the Jubilee line during rush hour. The controls are easy to locate and very responsive. The phone pick up was good too, with the microphones which support the sound cancelling doubling as phone pickups. No problem hearing with them and the person on the other end could hear me fine.

There is one feature I wasn't sure about, the "talk through" function, which pauses the music and activates the microphones so you can hear without taking off the phones. This works well but felt like a solution looking for a problem, if someone is talking to you, politeness dictates you take the headphones off.

In short though, I'll repeat, these headphones are unbelievably brilliant. Utterly recommended.

---ooo000ooo--- Edit

After another days use, the "talk through" function turns out to be incredibly useful, particularly when listening to announcements on trains etc. The single button press to turn on/off is an amazing feature and works incredibly well.

---ooo000ooo--- re-edit

After a couple of weeks use of these headphones I'm even more impressed. They have been excellent, used everyday to commute and to listen to music at home without disturbing my other half. In almost every scenario they have performed flawlessly and the battery life, sound and connection has been most impressive. The only time I've had problems has been during the walk across the concourse at Paddington and at Canary Wharf tube station where the sheer number of bluetooth devices around in the pockets of commuters has overwhelmed the connection between my phone and the headsets and caused it to crash out intermittently. Annoying but hardly a fault of the headphones, more a limitation of the bluetooth technology. Also they keep your ears warm. Still highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but many flaws, 14 Nov 2012
Wayne Redhart "@wayneredhart on Twitter!" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 550-X BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES (Electronics)
This is a pretty decent pair of headphones and I'm certainly glad to have received a set to review. However, (as with the SYNC By 50 Percent) there are some serious flaws that I would not considerable remotely acceptable within this price bracket.

Firstly, the Bluetooth works fine in terms of sound quality on my Samsung Galaxy Y (yes, I own a phone that was designed for youths- so by all means laugh at my expense). I haven't yet had it drop out once (unlike my Syncs- which, for all the self-aggrandising blather about the supposed superiority of the "Kleer" system, occasionally crash and cannot then be reconnected for a few minutes). However, you have to stop and ask yourself why you actually want wireless technology? If you intend to play games or watch videos then you can forget having the sound and picture in sync with each other. I tried watching a film on my tablet device, but found it quite impossible. The actress' mouth movements fell in completely the wrong places- totally out of kilter with her rhythmic moans and shouts of "Oh God, yes!" and "Harder! Harder!" etc. Given how pathetically short the detachable cable is, even the wired option is likely to leave these altogether unfit for basic purposes of gaming or television viewing.

Next up, I should mention the appalling controls. A shortish press of the same button that turns Bluetooth on (easily confused with the button which operates the noise cancellation) goes into your phone and automatically dials whoever you had called last. What kind of dimwitted butt-flagon would come up with a design that makes it quite so easy to call people by mistake (overriding any keypad lock!)? So far, I've accidentally woken up an important business client at 3 am and inadvertently placed an hour long call to a sex line. It would have cost me enough for the phone call that I had intentionally made to that same number, throughout the duration of the preceding hour, without also getting charged for an accidental redial of equal length. With no way to turn this stupid feature off, it's outright negligence on the part of the designers to allow calls to be triggered quite so easily. How much value even is there in being able to place a call at the touch of a button- yet only to the last number you had dialled? Unless you're the type of mentally deranged lunatic who uses his withheld number to make thirty daily calls to the same girl (in order to breathe heavily down the line, before hanging up) there's little value in the feature at all. Even for the more frivolous mentally deranged lunatics (who have taken it upon themselves to juggle their amorous exhalations between two victims) there's no getting away from the fact that you're generally going to need to take your phone out of your pocket and dial manually. This feature should have been scrapped, or at least made possible to turn off.

Anyway, the sound is the important part and it's actually pretty good. The bass can be deep but has never strayed into either wooliness or distortion, like the Syncs often do. The sound is much better focused and reliable. The big problem is that the volume doesn't go anywhere near high enough. It depends on the levels of the source recording, but many things will cause problems. Recently, I was listening to a self-help podcast- set to full volume and with noise cancellation on. The sounds made by my wife were often enough to completely drown out the instructions on love-making techniques that I had been trying to utilise. Yes- the noise cancellation can sometimes be helpful (particularly with lower frequencies- such as on a train/bus) but it's nowhere near as good as I'd hoped and scarcely even dents higher pitches. Coupled with the associated issue of inadequate volume, this is really very poor- given the price tag. Also, the special magic button that supposedly improves the sound in some sort of mysterious electronic way is worse than a joke. It simply makes the tone go thin and tinny (making low volume issues even worse). I have yet to find even one recording that does not sound significantly worsened by having it on. Whoever designed it must have pilchards attached to the sides of his head instead of ears. You'd have to be as deaf as a post office to think that counts as an improvement!

Anyway, comparing these with Syncs is a bit like comparing badly designed, overpriced and inadequately tested apples with badly designed, overpriced and inadequately tested oranges. Each has its own very different positives and negatives, but neither is altogether satisfactory. One good thing here is that the lights are not constantly on during use. My Syncs have a stupid flashing blue light, that tends to reflect off things in the dark and makes it look as if the lights of a police car are approaching (quite ironic, given that their target audience are exactly the sort of people who might have good cause to fill their pants, upon such a false alarm, before ducking into the nearest hedge). If your primary goal is to use your headphones in a bid to attract naked women with no clothes on, the affiliation to idiot gangster-raper 50 percent would make the Syncs far better. These actually look pretty flimsy (nothing like the apparent bulkiness seen in the photo). Overall I prefer these, as the performance is more consistent and limited noise-cancellation is better than the "passive" (ie. non-existent) noise cancellation that the Syncs claim. However, I couldn't honestly recommend either, at this price. Having to state which one offers the best value for money would be tantamount to having to decide whether Jimmy Savile or Gary Glitter would make the "best" baby sitter.

2.0 out of 5 stars You don't always get what you pay for, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 550-X BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES (Electronics)
At 280 these headphones should've produced a much better sound than they do. They're just okay across the board with the most frustrating aspect being the volume. They're far too quiet. Even at max volume, which is how they stay all the time. There are far better quality headphones out there at half the price of these. At least the wireless functionality is good. 3hrs charge = 10 hrs playback.

3.0 out of 5 stars Close but not quite there, 21 Nov 2012
It appears my search for decent wireless headphones continues but these are the best I've found (aside from some issues which may or may not be a trouble for you).

First off, unlike some (most) wireless headphones that I've tried these do actually sound very good. In fact I've got a pair of wired B&W P5's and I reckon these might sound better, they have a very clear sound. That is providing you don't use the noise cancelling option which unfortunately ruins the sound completely. Not just "a little bit" but worse than the free headphones you get with your phone. Not quite sure who at Sennheiser listened to them in this mode and thought "that's good enough". It hollows and thins out the sound terribly. Who cares if the noise cancelling works when it sounds this bad. Ug. The headphones themselves without noise cancelling do actually get rid of some background noise but I've yet to try them on a flight where I'm sure the roar will seep through.

As my Galaxy Note 2 supports Apt-x then I can only comment using this and it exhibits little (if any) of the normal "Bluetooth" (ie. hard and compressed) sound. They sound suitably "hi-fi" with over Bluetooth and via the cable. Very listenable and engaging. No complaints at all here.

Build quality is "adequate" at best and they are not a particularly good looking pair of headphones. Considering the price I'm sure materials could have been better, they are quite plasticy and not very "premium". Having said that they are also light and extremely comfortable to wear.

A caveat others have flagged is that they don't go very loud, in fact they struggle to go "loud" at all. On cable only then you run them at full wack and still wish for more volume. They are a little louder via Bluetooth (when I'm guessing an amplifier is kicking in) but I've still had to use the Pre-Amp setting on my media player to boost the level a little and it starts to sound a little "coarse" at max volume (from both headphone and phone even when pre-amp is set flat).

So, there you go. If you don't mind about/need noise cancelling and (I am assuming) have an Apt-X compatible device then these sound good and are very comfortable for long periods. For the money however I would expect noise cancelling not to affect the sound at all and for the build/looks to be better. Have decided to send them back...

Sennheiser MM 550-X BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES