5.0 out of 5 stars Top headphones, but what do I know?
Published 21 months ago by Ryan

Published 3 months ago by Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Top headphones, but what do I know?, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I have always liked my music at home to sound good and have a good pair of Bayer headphones for when the kids are in bed, but for some odd reason I have persisted with the (white) headphones that came with my Ipod. I think my logic said that the sound was never going to be any good on a train or walking along a busy London street, so why bother. I am glad I bothered. Money for Xmas from my parents meant that I didn't have to pretend to like some fashion shop knitwear and set a budget for the headphones. There are many types of headphones and too many reviews. Headphones that are loved by one person are reviled by the next. The more reviews I read the more confused I became. I chose the CX175s because they had a small number of consistent reviews and Sennheiser have a good reputation. For me they are a top choice. Having not used In-Ear headphones before I didn't know what to expect. I was initially disappointed as they lacked bass, but a day later I pushed them a little further into my ears and couldn't believe the sound. You will know when you have got them right and you probably need to experiment with the different size adaptors.
If you, like me, are a newbie to in-ear headphones, there are two huge advantages that had not occurred to me (had not thought about it - really):
1) The adaptors block out outside noise (not cancel it) to the extent that you can easily wear them on the loudest of underground trains and still clearly hear the music without turning it up to a level that will involve a trip to the doctors at some stage. The slight downside to this is that you cannot hear train announcements and are so enthralled in your own World that it is possible that you may wake up on an empty train at the end of Chingford line (only once, so far).
2) The adaptors block out the noise of your music so that fellow commuters etc don't give you the evils. I used my son as a gauge to tell me how loud I could go and it was louder than I would ever want. Sometimes I can't believe that the rest of the World are not listening too (and really hope that they are not).

For less than £30 I think that they are amazing, but as I have not tried any others, I accept that I am not exactly What Hifi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Best headphones I have purchased! Price is fantastic and sound quality is second to none. The in-ear noise isolating feature actually works really well and completely blocks out the noise.

4.0 out of 5 stars sennheiser headphones, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Good sound, comfortable to wear,good qualty constrution. Yes l would recommend that others purchase this kit.i am quite elderly (82) so quite a fussy chap.

sennheiser headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend. Do some research and find a better pair., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Okay so I've been using these headphones today and I have to say I'm really disappointed. Coming from Sennheiser I expected really good quality sound, but this wasn't the case at all. High frequency sounds like Hi-hats and claps sound extremely sharp and actually made me wince, causing me to turn the volume right down to stop the "hissing" noises. Any track with these sounds in instantly becomes unusable.
The bass is also extremely underwhelming and sometimes doesn't even sound like it's there, it has no power.

The build quality is also dreadful, the wires feel weak and thin and tangle extremely easily, the buds themselves also feel hollow and light plasticy as if they'd break as easily as egg-shells. The wires also make a noticeable chafing noise when they rub against clothing that's audible through the buds.

They seem to reproduce vocals quite well, but other than that other sounds seem toned down and bland, if they're not hissing in your ears. However, they have a really cool design that screams Sennheiser.

I wouldn't recommend this product, and instead would advice doing some research and finding a much better pair, you may have to spend more to get something satisfactory but I'd almost say anything sounds better than these.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've always been a believer in the quality of Sennheiser ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I've always been a believer in the quality of Sennheiser, I had a trusty pair of earphones (the previous generation of the Sennheiser MX 375s) which lasted me a long time and had a decent sound for ear headphones. However these CX175's fall well short of the quality I expected.

The treble is very 'tinny', not much resonance and the bass is virtually non-existent. I tried all the difference equalization options on my ipod to try and balance out the sound - but still just squeeky treble came out. Dont go for these if you are looking for any kind of base in your music, these wont deliver it. On the plus side, whilst the treble is tinny at least you can pick out individual instruments, so in that respect the sound delivery is quite 'clear' and un-muffled.

I tried all three different sets of rubber ear pads, as I thought perhaps I wasn't getting a decent seal. But after trying all three, sound quality was not improved. I would put these on-par with the iphone / ipod style white earphones, quite dissappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'phones, 21 Dec 2012
Stephen Baines (Bath, Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd previously owned some CX300-IIs and was very pleased with them. So when they eventually died I was interested in something similar.

From what I could find online, the CX175s are supposed to be the replacements for the venerable CX300s, and my impressions seem to back this up. The sound is incredibly impressive: clear and open, allowing me to hear detail in familiar songs I hadn't heard previously. But it's also surprisingly bassy for an in-ear headphone.

One of my only bugbears with the CX300s was the asymmetric cord which is mercifully absent on the CX175s.

Better still, Amazon currently seem to be selling these 'phones at 30% off the RRP.

One last word of warning. If their predecessors are anything to go by, there may well be quite a lot of fakes about, especially of they become popular, so be careful if buying from unscrupulous 3rd party sellers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, 3 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
There are good and bad about these headphones.

On the plus side, the sound is crisp and relatively good for the price. You're never going to get amazing at this price but the sound is more than adequate.

However, to get this good sound is really quite a battle. The sound produced when the cable / wire rubs on clothing or anything else that may rub against them, the noise is awful... Really awful...

Another thing to add is that these only lasted three months of intermittent usage before they stopped working completely on one side. I'd like to think I had a faulty pair, but alas, the same happened to a friend who had the same ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really quite chuffed, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I've been wanting to get a decent-ish low end pair of headphones for quite a while but just hadn't got round to it, so I've been putting up with the generic pair that came with my phone in the time being. Result being, I've only used them for phone calls and watching movies, not music.

I decided it was time to get a new pair and embarked on my hunt for something that will generate a good solid sound, have good noise reduction and are also reasonably priced. I don't know much about headphones, or sound in general: but I do know when I hear something good and I love music with all its intracacies. I want to hear everything, and I want it to sound good. I don't want it to make my ears bleed and I don't want to go deaf, but sometimes I want it loud with lots of boom boom boom too.

There are some comments about these not lasting so long, but the impression I got was that these people use them a lot, and are moving them around a lot, so I'm hoping if I take care of them they'll last longer. The same folk who have said about the longevity still find them to be good though. I have a Bluetooth adapter thingy for the headphones (I recommend these, they're terribly good) so I'm hoping it will help as it means they'll not be stretched and yanked about on account of being attached to my phone. It's a Galaxy SII by the way.

I read a lot of reviews about a lot of headphones: there were none for this product that made me think "nah" or "hmm, maybe not". I returned to them after a few hours of looking, read the reviews again and thought, sod it, I'll have them.

The price didn't turn me off because they're a top quality make with a good rep and write up so I felt it was value and worth the punt: they're not that expensive all things considered.

With regards to the noise cancelling, they've certainly worked well in doing that for me today. I've used them on the train, through the station and then on the tube, finally walking across the City to the office. All incredibly noisy places. I heard nothing but crystal clear music except for a slight background hum on the tube (stood leaning up against the door, very loud location).

They're also the most comfy in ear buds I've experienced (I've not played with the different size bud things yet which is a first for me) so that they are comfy is saying something as I have very small, sensitive ears and finding something that fits and is comfortable for me is always a challenge.

All I need to do now is find a music player that allows me to save multiple custom settings in the graphic equaliser so I can accommodate the different music I have. That, and avoid being arrested for being disorderly in a public place because with these headphones, my music sounds so wonderful I can hardly contain myself from bursting into a one woman flash mob.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Firstly, product was received one day before estimated. The product itself is amazing, i was not expecting the headphones to be this good for the price, but they are better. Sound quality is unbelievable, bass is deep and doesn't break at all with a nice crisp sound. Definitely worth the money. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non better for the price, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
These headphones are absolutely amazing for the price. Yes, there are cheaper headphones. Yes, there are better quality but more expensive headphones. But these headphone are where price and quality intersect. Highly recommend them.