5.0 out of 5 stars Top headphones, but what do I know?
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by Ryan

Published 9 months ago by Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Top headphones, but what do I know?, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I have always liked my music at home to sound good and have a good pair of Bayer headphones for when the kids are in bed, but for some odd reason I have persisted with the (white) headphones that came with my Ipod. I think my logic said that the sound was never going to be any good on a train or walking along a busy London street, so why bother. I am glad I bothered. Money for Xmas from my parents meant that I didn't have to pretend to like some fashion shop knitwear and set a budget for the headphones. There are many types of headphones and too many reviews. Headphones that are loved by one person are reviled by the next. The more reviews I read the more confused I became. I chose the CX175s because they had a small number of consistent reviews and Sennheiser have a good reputation. For me they are a top choice. Having not used In-Ear headphones before I didn't know what to expect. I was initially disappointed as they lacked bass, but a day later I pushed them a little further into my ears and couldn't believe the sound. You will know when you have got them right and you probably need to experiment with the different size adaptors.
If you, like me, are a newbie to in-ear headphones, there are two huge advantages that had not occurred to me (had not thought about it - really):
1) The adaptors block out outside noise (not cancel it) to the extent that you can easily wear them on the loudest of underground trains and still clearly hear the music without turning it up to a level that will involve a trip to the doctors at some stage. The slight downside to this is that you cannot hear train announcements and are so enthralled in your own World that it is possible that you may wake up on an empty train at the end of Chingford line (only once, so far).
2) The adaptors block out the noise of your music so that fellow commuters etc don't give you the evils. I used my son as a gauge to tell me how loud I could go and it was louder than I would ever want. Sometimes I can't believe that the rest of the World are not listening too (and really hope that they are not).

For less than £30 I think that they are amazing, but as I have not tried any others, I accept that I am not exactly What Hifi.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend. Do some research and find a better pair., 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Okay so I've been using these headphones today and I have to say I'm really disappointed. Coming from Sennheiser I expected really good quality sound, but this wasn't the case at all. High frequency sounds like Hi-hats and claps sound extremely sharp and actually made me wince, causing me to turn the volume right down to stop the "hissing" noises. Any track with these sounds in instantly becomes unusable.
The bass is also extremely underwhelming and sometimes doesn't even sound like it's there, it has no power.

The build quality is also dreadful, the wires feel weak and thin and tangle extremely easily, the buds themselves also feel hollow and light plasticy as if they'd break as easily as egg-shells. The wires also make a noticeable chafing noise when they rub against clothing that's audible through the buds.

They seem to reproduce vocals quite well, but other than that other sounds seem toned down and bland, if they're not hissing in your ears. However, they have a really cool design that screams Sennheiser.

I wouldn't recommend this product, and instead would advice doing some research and finding a much better pair, you may have to spend more to get something satisfactory but I'd almost say anything sounds better than these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Best headphones I have purchased! Price is fantastic and sound quality is second to none. The in-ear noise isolating feature actually works really well and completely blocks out the noise.

4.0 out of 5 stars sennheiser headphones, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Good sound, comfortable to wear,good qualty constrution. Yes l would recommend that others purchase this kit.i am quite elderly (82) so quite a fussy chap.

sennheiser headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Earphones for Commuters, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I have a pair of "on-ear" Sennheiser's that cost about £50 and the sound is great. The only issue was when I used the underground I found that I had to have the volume at near maximum to hear the shows I was watching on my Tablet. So I decided to try out these CX175s as "in-ear" earphones tend to be able to block out outside noise.

So far I have found that:
-I can listen to these at around 60-70% of my Tablet's max volume (had to listen at 80-100% when using the on-ears)
-The sound quality is fine, though maybe not as rich as my on-ear headphones (which are double the price so no surprise there!)
- The wire is of good thickness and length so I can't seen any issues arising there.

Overall these are a good value headphones- what sealed the deal was threat customer service I have received Sennheiser in the past and the two year warranty.

Perhaps you may be able to find similar quality earphones for cheaper- but with these you get that all important 2 year warranty that means you won't have to cycle though several pairs of headphones.

Not 5 stars because:
- Could have come with something to carry the headphones in (like a mini case); and
- No volume control on the earphones themselves.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've always been a believer in the quality of Sennheiser ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I've always been a believer in the quality of Sennheiser, I had a trusty pair of earphones (the previous generation of the Sennheiser MX 375s) which lasted me a long time and had a decent sound for ear headphones. However these CX175's fall well short of the quality I expected.

The treble is very 'tinny', not much resonance and the bass is virtually non-existent. I tried all the difference equalization options on my ipod to try and balance out the sound - but still just squeeky treble came out. Dont go for these if you are looking for any kind of base in your music, these wont deliver it. On the plus side, whilst the treble is tinny at least you can pick out individual instruments, so in that respect the sound delivery is quite 'clear' and un-muffled.

I tried all three different sets of rubber ear pads, as I thought perhaps I wasn't getting a decent seal. But after trying all three, sound quality was not improved. I would put these on-par with the iphone / ipod style white earphones, quite dissappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'phones, 21 Dec. 2012
Stephen Baines (Bath, Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd previously owned some CX300-IIs and was very pleased with them. So when they eventually died I was interested in something similar.

From what I could find online, the CX175s are supposed to be the replacements for the venerable CX300s, and my impressions seem to back this up. The sound is incredibly impressive: clear and open, allowing me to hear detail in familiar songs I hadn't heard previously. But it's also surprisingly bassy for an in-ear headphone.

One of my only bugbears with the CX300s was the asymmetric cord which is mercifully absent on the CX175s.

Better still, Amazon currently seem to be selling these 'phones at 30% off the RRP.

One last word of warning. If their predecessors are anything to go by, there may well be quite a lot of fakes about, especially of they become popular, so be careful if buying from unscrupulous 3rd party sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really quite chuffed, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I've been wanting to get a decent-ish low end pair of headphones for quite a while but just hadn't got round to it, so I've been putting up with the generic pair that came with my phone in the time being. Result being, I've only used them for phone calls and watching movies, not music.

I decided it was time to get a new pair and embarked on my hunt for something that will generate a good solid sound, have good noise reduction and are also reasonably priced. I don't know much about headphones, or sound in general: but I do know when I hear something good and I love music with all its intracacies. I want to hear everything, and I want it to sound good. I don't want it to make my ears bleed and I don't want to go deaf, but sometimes I want it loud with lots of boom boom boom too.

There are some comments about these not lasting so long, but the impression I got was that these people use them a lot, and are moving them around a lot, so I'm hoping if I take care of them they'll last longer. The same folk who have said about the longevity still find them to be good though. I have a Bluetooth adapter thingy for the headphones (I recommend these, they're terribly good) so I'm hoping it will help as it means they'll not be stretched and yanked about on account of being attached to my phone. It's a Galaxy SII by the way.

I read a lot of reviews about a lot of headphones: there were none for this product that made me think "nah" or "hmm, maybe not". I returned to them after a few hours of looking, read the reviews again and thought, sod it, I'll have them.

The price didn't turn me off because they're a top quality make with a good rep and write up so I felt it was value and worth the punt: they're not that expensive all things considered.

With regards to the noise cancelling, they've certainly worked well in doing that for me today. I've used them on the train, through the station and then on the tube, finally walking across the City to the office. All incredibly noisy places. I heard nothing but crystal clear music except for a slight background hum on the tube (stood leaning up against the door, very loud location).

They're also the most comfy in ear buds I've experienced (I've not played with the different size bud things yet which is a first for me) so that they are comfy is saying something as I have very small, sensitive ears and finding something that fits and is comfortable for me is always a challenge.

All I need to do now is find a music player that allows me to save multiple custom settings in the graphic equaliser so I can accommodate the different music I have. That, and avoid being arrested for being disorderly in a public place because with these headphones, my music sounds so wonderful I can hardly contain myself from bursting into a one woman flash mob.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivals my more expensive earbuds, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I previously owned a higher end pair of Sennheiser and Sony earbuds. Both fell apart after many many years of use on long haul flights and daily commutes. I bought these for sleeping with music and didn't want to invest too much but still wanted something decent. I live in a noisy environment so these provide some noise isolation when listening to music before bed. I currently own a pair of AKG headphones but that wasn't so good for the purpose.

After reading the reviews extensively I took the plunge but took notice of one review where slight distortion for deep bass reproduction was noted. I was a little nervous about that as distorted bass affects more than just heavy bass tracks. Like a fly in the room, that stuff annoys you to no end once you take notice of it. To my minor disappointment I did notice the distortion but convinced myself it was still a good buy because everything else sounded good.

I've been using it every week for a few weeks now and just 20 minutes ago I had to adjust them because some air was trapped in the ear canal when I put them in, muffling the noise. As I adjusted the earbuds around I realised I could get clearer sound moving it around. Sounds like a ridiculous no brainer I know but unfortunately I've come to expect earbuds to be angled for optimum distribution. But these aren't. They are rather, straight. They aren't even marked for left and right. BUT don't let that discourage you. They are easily angled for optimum sound and will stay in position.

After adjusting it, I tested it with a variety of bassy tracks - drum n bass, hip hop, jazz and compared it to pop, classical and mostly vocal tracks. Perfect all the way. Distortion is GONE. So it is likely the distortion the other reviewer mentioned might be from the earbud leaning within the ear canal.

Good buy. Will totally recommend for quality listening on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overachieving for under £30, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I think these are the best headphones you are likely to come across for under £40 and would absolutely recommend them to anyone.

Everyone has a different ear shape and so everyone prefers different headphone shapes, I personally like in-ear headphones because normal apple-style headphones just fall out of my large ears whereas the cx175 buds feel very secure no matter how much my head shakes around. They are so comfortable it almost feels as though they aren't there. They aren't noise cancelling but if you choose the right size silicone buds they will form a tight seal in your ear canal which blocks out almost all noise. My friend, when trying them out, commented on how they felt a little invasive as they do need to be pushed right into the ear however they never have to be pushed in "too far" enough to cause any damage.

Sound quality wise they are the best in-ear headphones I've used (I've tried maybe 12 different pairs costing up to £60 over the years). I'm no expert on audio but these cans are really impressive, you will not be disappointed with any aspect of the sound. I genuinely think you'd be VERY hard pressed to find better for the price.

These are the most durable headphones I've ever owned it's absolutely ridiculous! I've had them for two years and they've been caught in bike chains, torn out of my iPod hundreds of times carelessly, stepped on and caught in doors and not only has neither headphone broken or the wires snapped but the sound has remained brilliant and never drops out in one ear as you sometimes get with headphones under £30.

Because of the lack of colourful/expensive materials(the headphones are plastic), branding or advertising I feel as though the whole budget for these headphones has been spent on making a top notch product. If your looking for in-ear headphones under £40 look no further

Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black)