5.0 out of 5 stars Purrfect
This is definately not a film for everyone: no car chases, no explosions, no sex, no CGI...
Published 16 months ago by RJ

I'm a mild enthusiast of Miranda July's first film, the quirky but solid and fairly substantial Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005). And it's excellent soundtrack by Michael Andrews gets a lot of plays on my iPod.

Published on 26 April 2012 by BS on parade

5.0 out of 5 stars Purrfect, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
BUT, if you like your films with subtle shades then you'll love this. The plot outline is fairly simple: a young couple decide to become more responsible and "adult" by adopting a cat from a shelter: the cat's given nameis pawpaw as it has an injured paw. The cat is also quite ill and may not survive more than six months, perfect for a couple scared of long term commitment.

As the couple try to come to terms with actually caring for something other than themselves things begin to change. In addition, this is interspersed with short montages of pawpaw describing aspects of its lafe, philosophy and hopes, It may sound a bit odd but it works.

This film has pathos, dry wit and wonderfully understated performances... good enough form me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grippingly Strange, 5 April 2012
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't know what to think when I first saw this in the cinema but i was pleasantly surprised with what i saw. Its strange but in the same way as Submarine was strange and a film like that i can watch over and over again

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 29 May 2014
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
very quirky and different. The cat's brilliant. Very human. Have watched it twice and enjoyed it both times. Strongly recommended if you like something a bit different.

4.0 out of 5 stars not her best, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, I love Miranda July, I loved "Me and You and Everyone We Know", and had been eagerly awaiting her next film.

I went to see her in London when she did a "sermon" at the School of Life, and bought a signed copy of "It Chooses You". I really enjoyed the book, which she wrote while she was having trouble writing the film, and in it she talks about how the film came about. The film talks about unconnected characters who fail to find the connections that they do in "Me and You". The bit with Joe was adorable but the whole film made me feel uncomfortable and a bit empty and guilty.

Those looking for an introduction to July would be better off with "Me and You". I don't think this was her best work, and I hate leaving bad reviews, but I'm sure her next work will be much better. July is such a wonderfully uniquely creative person and I still eagerly look forward to what she does next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quirky, 28 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
There is a saturation of quirky, happy-go-lucky type films out there at the moment, so I did question whether we needed another one. I have to say, though, that Miranda July, (almost) fresh from You, Me and Everyone We Know, has mastered the delicate balance between schmaltzy weird sentimentality and engaging, poignant eccentricity. With a perhaps strange turn from a talking cat, this is a beautifully shot, directed and acted film. Soundtrack is another masterpiece from Jon Brion too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Vague, indifferent, under-powered film with signs of potential, 26 April 2012
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)

Advance word on her six years later follow up film was pretty poor. The reviews were either hostile or below average. The overall impression I got was that it was a disappointing movie, but not without some merit if you're inclined to like it.

I think that was an accurate take on it. If you go into this film with a negative, or even an indifferent attitude, then you might really, really hate it. The meandering story, the inconclusive plot strands (his new charity job, her YouTube dancing ambitions), the awkward dialogue, the general lack of incidents, the strangely small cast, the quirky surreal moments (a talking cat, a talking moon, the ability to stop time) and the vague indifferent shrug of an ending after an extended abstract section of nothing much etc will probably drive the uncommitted viewer up the wall with annoyance and frustration.

If on the other hand you go in wanting to like it then I think it's very watchable, if disappointing and below average.

The story has a good set up but it quickly loses its momentum and ends up twiddling its thumbs for a bit. The plot becomes a fairly random string of this and that, but somehow she forget to make something actually happen. And so the subplots either don't go anywhere (his job), or climax with such muted understatement that it barely counts as a resolution (her dances, her situation with the sign designer, the old man talking about his long marriage).

Her first movie also had awkward dialogue with characters who struggled to sustain much of a conversation between them. I felt that it was deliberate and part of the point of that film as it was about disconnected people who eventually connect in the end. With The Future it just comes across as bad writing, acting and directing. As the plot is so threadbare and uneventful the communication problems are a proper hindrance to the film being enjoyable. These people need to talk in order to drive the story forward, but they are so passive and never say much to each other.

***MINOR SPOILERS START***

I did not like the ending. A quirky, seemingly big hearted and optimistic independent film like this should have an up-beat, happy ending. It seems a bit pointless to have a negative, unhappy climax in this case. To me it goes against the grain of the intentions of a movie like this. Quirky equals happy, not sad.

Also I felt the last section of the movie was a failed attempt at surrealism. It didn't work in my opinion, and the film resorted to an extended plotless, random, shapeless abstract section that was reminiscent of the type of boring stuff David Lynch does (he has his big fans, but I find most of his films to be tiresome endurance tests).

***MINOR SPOILERS END***

I sympathise and understand why some people loath this movie. I didn't particularly like the film myself, but it was constantly engaging and held my attention. I would say it's a weak movie that only fans of odd quirky films, or fans of her previous film, will get much out of. I wouldn't recommend it, but there is a kernel of something here if you have the patience and fortitude to give it a proper chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenally moving in a new way..., 14 Jan 2012
I was really looking forward to seeing this film since i heard fantastic things about it in several articles. being a first time viewer of Miranda July's films i thought it was a fantastic way for me to start my journey. i hadn't experienced such a film with such unusual themes and such interesting character dynamics in a very long time. As a great fan of unusual films this just fit my bill with a story line i wasn't expecting. me and my friend saw this in a very small cinema which is very well known for showing very unique films and this was phenomenal. i recommend strongly to anyone who is a fan of deadpan romance and humour.

2.0 out of 5 stars quirky but bleak!, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
This film started out by being quirky and interesting. I liked the characters (or I thought I did) and I thought that this was going to be one of those offbeat but ultimately feelgood films. However, I could not have been more wrong. After one of the characters transgressed (I will not go into details), this became quite a bleak film. It also became clear at the end that the film was based on Buddhist philosophy and I must admit that I find the idea of us becoming neither human nor human eye but just infinite light to be deeply depressing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious tripe., 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
Jeez that's an hour and a half of my life ill never get back. The cat taking is just disturbing. ....hideous film. The best part? The main actors curly hair. This film is dire.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quirky? No, Just Irritating., 16 April 2013
Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Future [DVD] (DVD)
You can make a really good film with interesting characters, little to no plot, and situations that unfold gradually. Mike Leigh at his best has made some wonderful films in this way. But this misses the mark by a mile. The two leads are so deliberately kooky that they are completely unbeleivable. The situations the characters are placed in aren't enjoyable, and in fact some become quite dark and uncomfortable. I found it hard to think of a redeeming feature to this film, other than perhaps it's quite well made. It's not often I'm tempted to giveup on a film, though almost did here. Self indulgent is perhaps the kindest comment.

The Future [DVD]
The Future [DVD] by Miranda July (DVD - 2012)
Used & New from: 22.40