5.0 out of 5 stars "...All Your Lovin'...Thrills Me So..." - All Through The City Box Set by Dr. FEELGOOD
As you've no doubt already guessed from the avalanche of five-star reviews this Dr. Feelgood retrospective has already received - "All Through The City" is frankly a bit of a box set barnstormer. Covering the Wilko Johnson/Lee Brilleaux/John Sparks/Big Figure years - it features 4 full album's worth and a large haul of previously unreleased studio outtakes and live cuts...
Published on 8 Jun. 2012 by Mark Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Mastering on Disc 2
After reading the review of G. M. Dobb "lord_vinyl", YES there is crackle throughout cd 2, mostly on the Sneaking Suspicion disc. This is a shame as this has never been mastered correctly for CD, and the box set was expensive here in Spain. It is truly sad that the time and effort put into this boxset that EMI could not check their work. I am not sure if it a result of...
Published on 22 Jun. 2012 by RollingRock

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Canvey Island's Best, 20 Aug. 2013
Three albums of what is undoubtably the best of its genre plus a live album and another disc of goodies. Surely you can never have enough Dr Feelgood in your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars God bless Wilco, 16 May 2013
A great compilation of the Feelgoods at their best, with a fantastic sleeve and sleeve notes,
Must have for any fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-released 'All Through The City', 17 April 2013
I must say that I have to agree with Mr. S. Cahill - I was hoping for the same packaging format as for the 2012 release which was rather more expensive than this issue. I bought mine from Hong Kong in the end because every time I looked on Amazon it had gone up in price, eventually to about £38.00 I recall. However, this issue is terrific value for money - I have bought 3 copies one for each of my sons to introduce them to one of the best bands of the 70s - they were not even born then.............

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening for any blues fan, 6 July 2012
This review is from: All Through The City (With Wilko 1974-1977) (Includes Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
Not written by my wife but bought for me

This was a gift for fathers day, which meant more to me than my wife and son could imagine. It took me back to playing in a rock / blues band in the late 70's, old friends most of whom still play and meeting the Feelgoods at a gig in Edinburgh when my band met the lads after the gig where we shared a can of beer and Brilleaux gave me his harmonica from the set.
If you were into this type of music, when others were strutting to disco and chanting about anarchy in the UK, these guys simply gave what chaps like me wanted.
The book that forms the CD /DVD case is excellent too and has loads of interesting facts,stories and pictures.
A very emotional gift that rekindled such great memories and has all the classics,cataloged in their entirety, and if you are a real fan, have an interest in the band or simply want to experience the way that it was done in the old days... treat yourself to this set of Cd's and DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legendary Dr Feelgood with Wilko Johnson, 16 May 2012
Simon F. Kidd (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic collection of music to listen to again with the added bonus of the DVD including material from the very earliest days of The Feelgoods. OK, I know that all Wilko and Feelgood fans will have heard everything before on the first two CD's in this set, as they cover the first four albums of the legendary line-up. However, there are a number of previously unreleased tracks on the third CD, which are a real treat to listen to after all these years. The band were so young and so vibrant between 1974 and 1977 and this really does come home in this package which positively oozes with Wilko's influence with every track you hear. Look, listen and learn and buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collection, 27 April 2012
This box set is an absolute gem, with all the key recordings from the Wilko era. I was particularly keen to see the live footage as this is where the band came into their own. Unfortunately the DVD does not work on my DVD player and I can't understand why (this is the second copy I've had with the same issue as Amazon promptly sent a replacement). The menu appears but if I try to watch a particular track it stays on the menu then stutters as if trying to access the song but Norman Collier-style! Bizarrely the DVD works on another DVD player, a laptop and a PC without problem. Oh well.

The footage I've seen captures them perfectly and I would recommend this to anyone wanting to see where some of the roots of British punk lay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 19 April 2012
This is a great box set and I highly recommend it.The shame though is this band who were so influential at one point in time has been forgotten some what.Lets hope some youngsters are influenced by them soon as we need some new music with attitude in these troubled times to give the current scene a good kick up the proverbial backside!

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to review this - read carefully, 10 Aug. 2012
Django (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
Overall we've got to be grateful on this as the DVD is worth the price alone (see the other reviews)

However the thing to note is that (in my and many other opinions) disc 2 is problematic. It is mastered a lot louder than any of the other discs and as a consequence clicks and crackles along (again see other reviews) In all honesty you're better off with the previous pressings of both Supidity and Sneakin' Suspicion on this.

Other thing is that (again from the reviews) not everyone seems to have recognised the problem ? It isn't in your face, until you start listening carefully and then comparing to your other copies (assuming you have them). Sadly as another reviewer pointed out if this was the Beatles it would have been corrected immediately. However as I imagine there have been very few complaints in proportion to sales then it is unlikely to be corrected. Note I have now had access to five copies and all are the same.

I've have tried every resource I have got access to, to seek an answer on this problem. Initially I thought the problem was acknowledged by EMI and I was hopeful that a replacement disc would be produced. However the response I have ultimately had is that EMI do not think there is a problem. This is somewhat surprising at an audio level, if you contrast disc 1 and disc 2 for example the problem is very obvious - just do a sound wave comparison. However at a commercial level maybe the acknowledgement and replacement were never going to happen.

Ultimately in this case the buyer needs to be aware - if this problem is likely to annoy you then avoid, as no replacements are going to be forthcoming (and if you raise the issue it will be a world of hurt)

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty second disc, 4 July 2012
J. M. Booth (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
What would have been a truly wonderful box set is let down by the dodgy mastering of the second disc. It has been mastered way too loudly and exhibits clicking throughout every song, on both Stupidity and Sneakin' Suspicion. Really disappointing, hopefully E.M.I. will fix and re-release.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a band!, 18 April 2014
The recent collaboration between Roger Daltrey and Wilko Johnson brought Dr. Feelgood back to my attention. I remember seeing them live in the Milky Way in Amsterdam around 1979 with GP Mayo, Lee being the absolute star of a spotless performance. This compilation covers the years with Wilko, I was not very familiar with the Feelgoods from that era. However what a find! Songs delivered with guts, energy and total abandon. The DVD is worth the purchase alone. It is moving to see these guys work so hard and give the audience all. Lee in that dirty white suit.... Considering that most of the material on the DVD was recorded in 1975, it is now easy to see how far they were ahead of their time and paved the way for punks and mod revivalists. Did Wilko really invent the scissor leap? What a tight outfit, what effortless delivery! And then there is the live album Stupidity. The roar of the crowd during Wilkos guitar solos in She Does It Right brought tears to my eyes. Still a life changer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›