5.0 out of 5 stars perfection
very funny unique and bizarre scifi horror musical comedy, a bit of everything. Haven't seen anything like it and pleased to get both versions (colour and black/white) in hd.
Published 22 months ago by Blood Freak

3.0 out of 5 stars Dare you enter the Forbidden Zone
Published on 16 May 2012 by R. King

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: Forbidden Zone (Arrow Video) Limited Edition [Blu-ray] [1982] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Defies description but I'll try anyway, 20 Aug 2013
Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is what you get when a band called The Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo make a film.

Oingo Boingo were a surrealist theatrical avant-garde 30's jazz-blues revivalists. The film was produced, directed and co-written by their then-leader Richard Elfman (brother of soon to be famous film music composer and also key member of the band who also scored and appeared in the film) Danny Elfman. Starring Herve Villechaise as the King of the 6th Dimension and Susan Tyrell as his wife (who had been until not that long since his actual wife), Richard Elfman's newly acquired French wife dancer Francine-Pascal as Frenchy, and most of the members of the band. Sets are made from paper and cardboard and make no attempt to hide it. The loose plot concerns the King wanting the Frenchy to be his new Queen and his old one trying to stop it but that's often just an excuse for musical numbers as this is really a musical (sort of). There is some miming to old songs but most of it is new albeit in old styles.

Most people will probably run away screaming after a few minutes (if they last that long) but give it a chance and you could well warm to this bizarre theatrical piece of musical-comedy surrealism. If you can accept the weirdness of its world it really is actually quite charming.

There's an excellent making of in which Richard Elfman interviews key members of the film including his brother, his ex-wife, and Susan Tyrell who says something so hilarious and so outrageous your jaw will bounce off the floor.

Really, you've got to see it to believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing presentation of a one-off, 26 May 2012
A. Moncrieff (up your a s s) - See all my reviews
This film is not for everyone, but if you are interested in a film that could fairly be described as Eraserhead's dorky younger brother, who loves old black and white cartoons, then you should definetely pick this up. I got it for 14.99 from Arrow films' website direct (no shipping charge) but even at the price Amazon are charging (17 at time of writing) it's a bargain.

Includes the usual poster and booklet (and what a lovely set they are this time), 4 covers as per usual, but an excellent disc. Both the black and white and colourised versions are here in 1080p (and both look FANTASTIC), along with original mono and a new (and excellent) 5.1 mix. Audio commentery, interview, trailer, scenes from The Hercules Family (a 16mm prototype by the same cast/crew), a retrospective and an Oingo Boing music video ("Private Life" from the Nothing to Fear record), which is here I suppose because Richard Elfman directed that too? Otherwise, there's no specific reason for that song by Boingo to be here.

The film itself is fabulous fun with a real cult cast, great sound effects and surrealistic (but, to be fair, low-budget) production values, amazing score (one of Danny Elfman's best, even if it is almost 100% rock based this time). It's anarchic but in a friendlier way than a Repo Man, Eraserhead et cetera (classics both). The only things I can compare it to in it's contemporary would be Screamplay and Eraserhead...

Definetely a great package from Arrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this film for you? Compatibility checklist, 7 Aug 2007
Michael Donnelly (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forbidden Zone [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
If you love any of the following, you will think this film has something special. I'm into all of these things, and this film IS something special!
.....
...the film Goto L'Ile D'Amour (Walerian Borowczyk)
...Le Roman De Reynard (Starewicz)
...the Ubu plays (Alfred Jarry)
...the german expressionist look
...John Waters
...Gummo
...silent comedies
...The Mighty Bush
...lovely old jazz tunes, like cab calloway, josephine baker
...Max Fleischer old black and white cartoons

If you can tick off two or three of these, make a beeline for this film like you want it yesterday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: Forbidden Zone [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
What a crazy film! Not exactly wholesome family viewing - but mine enjoyed it! The vision of chicken boy and his drunk mum with her lover will stay with me for a long time! If you like the unexpected and bizarre you will enjoy this. And all the Elfmans in it! Great fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept..., 8 Sep 2012
But I did not enjoy the movie. If I'm totally honest I merely bought it as I have MOST arrow video releases like this. More for a completion piece.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dare you enter the Forbidden Zone, 16 May 2012
R. King "raking" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I have ever seen this film. Will it be the last? Answer is "I don't really know". It is certainly the most bizarre film I have ever seen and was just so speechless whilst watching it that I really have no idea what it was about. For that reason, yes I will probably have to watch it again - it is just a matter of when I can force myself to do so without feeling it is another 74 mins of my life lost for ever. Weird is not a strong enough word for it and I think this is definitely a Marmite film - you will either love it or hate it. Me - I'm still making up my mind. If I end up loving it I will change my star rating, but don't hold your breath!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A mess...or genius?, 17 May 2012
Gordon C. Tait (OSNABRUCK, OSNABRUCK Germany) - See all my reviews
It would be easy to say that this could be the worst film I've ever seen. A review compared it to something Lynchian. So, out of admiration for David, I gave this a try. Sadly, this was a mish-mash of what looked like a stage-play for those on LSD, quite literally, cardboard sets, awful costumes, non-sensical dialogue and a thread of story, and the camera plonked in the corner to "capture" the ensuing disaster. There is either a very carefully hidden avant-garde stroke of genius here, or quite simply, a complete cinematic abortion. The latter I expect. I certainly would not pay above 2 for this film, and would most likely demand a refund. It begs the question...if you sat through the entire film, what kind of mind do you have that would find this engaging?

Forbidden Zone (Arrow Video) Limited Edition [Blu-ray] [1982]