Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800
Price:£239.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 12 August 2013
A choice made after looking at the 3rd party options, why pay over £2,000 for a body only to have it supported on a questionable generic grip. Should have purchased some time ago but like others it was too expensive for what it is and it was thought to add too much weight. The battery fitted does not make much difference to weight and the grip combination is not as heavy as thought. The grip is very comfortable and balances the camera better if you have large hands and with pro lenses.

Rapid Strap : I did NOT find it suitable for use with Rapid strap fitments as the base plate fitting gets in the way of a comfortable grip so the hand is gripping over the strap attachment.

Colour : The colour of the grip, although close, does not match that of the body so may be similar to 3rd party grips. The rollers and knobs are rubber coated on the original and feel solid and quiet, unlike the generic ones apparently and the grip is noticeably weather sealed.

The grip extends the length of the grip in both directions and makes the camera more secure and solid in the hand especially with heavy glass, 14 -24 / 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 VR II Zooms.

The Nikon grip comes with two alternative battery options, the D800 battery or 8 AA rechargeable options. There is also a section to place the rubber cap from the connectors in the grip grooves that some generic grips do not have. Do not be fooled by some of the other grips on Amazon, I noted that Mieke had mixed a genuine grip with theirs, there are tell tale signs such as the labels, so not sure what they are up to. Another buyer on u tube informed that he had been sold a Nikon grip that turned out to be counterfeit so we purchased ours from Calumet in London, a renown professional supplier and they gave a price match.

Overall then a worthwhile purchase and would certainly recommend it, shop around though to get the best deal!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love my D800 but I always hated the grip. It is just too small for big hands and it is a puzzle why Nikon reduced the size of it from the previous D300 and D800.

This battery grip transforms the way you handle the camera, even when using it in landscape orientation. Why? Because with big hands, your 3rd and 4th finger nestle into the hollow above the grip of the MBD12. This makes the camera feel so much more secure and this is vital with all lenses, but particularly with 1kg+ lenses like an F2.8 zoom.

Now turn the camera into landscape mode and you can see how Nikon should have made the original D800 grip. It has a more pronounced ridge for your palm which makes it feel extremely secure. In fact in this mode, I would say it is more secure than the old D300/D700.

The construction is obviously metal shell. It is very rigid and matches the underlying construction and finish of the D800. The stiff body means it feels integral with the D800 with no flex between each. This rigid connection is important for your tripod.

If these sort of things matter to you, it is the reason you'll pay around £200 more to get the genuine Nikon product. If you've already shelled out £K's to go Full Frame, this should not matter to you. I would not dream of trading this back to a cheap plastic version.
on 3 April 2013
This grip is expensive, for sure, but i really dont mind you know, after spending 1700 on camera body, and another 2000 on a good piece of glass or two, i REALLY don't mind and i feel getting this 250gbp grip is just like an extra bag of candys ( Body + glass = 3700 + extra grip > 260 ??? :D ) because HELLO! - YOU HAVE 4K worth of equipment and you will do what ? buy cheapo 60gbp grip ? not weather sealed grip ? wanna screw your body ?

Anyway my point is, GET IT, you already bought expensive body and glass, and you dont want 60gbp chinese grey import NOT weather sealed grip to hang on your 4k worth of equipment.

Getting weather sealed Body and weather sealed glass, and connecting it to NOT weather sealed grip can screw you up.

There will be mojority of people who will say ''i never had any problems with fake grips'', yes, OK, that is right, most of them works as intended, but... i relly do NOT want ANY doubts coming into my head when shooting.

I tested mine already, works great, looks sexy on my D800, and i feel it was worth EVERY PENNY i spent on it (260).

Price of this grip is every day different, cheapest i saw was 269 or 259, Directly from Amazon.co.uk.

what else can i say ?.... My Prrrrrecious !
on 25 October 2012
I used the MB-D10 grip with my D700 for years, it was well made and a little expensive. However the MB-D12, feels cheaper and is truly expensive.

I think that I will either wait until Polaroid come out with a version for the D800

Polaroid Wireless Performance Battery Grip For Nikon D300, D700, D300s Digital SLR Cameras - Remote Shutter Release Included

Or look at the Pixel version.

Pixel Vertax D12 Battery Grip for for for Nikon D800 D800E MB-D12 DSLR ENEL15 MBD12 E507- Black

I have now purchased the Polaroid grip Polaroid Performance Battery Grip For The Nikon D800, D800E Digital SLR Camera and for 1/5 of the price it was worth returning the Nikon one.

The Polaroid grip is almost as good so I am happy with the savings and purchase.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The MB-D12 is the official battery pack for the D800, and is the only one endorsed or supported by Nikon. Using it, you get access to a second battery, higher frame-rate in DX mode if using the D4 type battery, vertical grip shutter release, and duplicate controls. The overall mass of the camera increases, making it more stable when used with long lenses such as the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens.

There has been a lot of criticism of this grip, and it is worth paying attention to it before going down this route. First, the grip is expensive compared to earlier models. Second, one battery remains in the camera while the other goes in the grip, which seems unintuitive. Third, some people think it is flimsy or poorly made, though that isn't my experience. Fourth, in order to get the higher frame rate you have to buy the D4-type battery, the EN-EL18, a Nikon BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover for D800, and the ruinously priced Nikon MH-26 UK Battery Charger for EN-EL18, unless you already own a D4.

The total package price, if you want to go all the way on this one, is around £650, which may seem a lot for the ability to lift your camera to 6fps in DX mode, which is itself reducing your resolution to under 20MP.

My own experience is that this battery pack is just as good as the earlier ones. It also has more functions, as it repeats the toggle switch now required by the presence of video. I don't really see how it is 'flimsy', but that's a personal view.

In terms of the way the other battery remains in the camera, this seems to me an advantage. With the D100 battery grip, for example, both batteries were kept in the grip. This meant that if you removed the grip to make the camera lighter or less conspicuous, you had to relocate the battery holder, refit it, and transfer the battery. With the new arrangement, you just unscrew the battery grip and use it. You can route power usage through the grip first, which means that you are using up that power first, leaving your in-camera battery fully charged.

In terms of the overall cost, my view is that Nikon has deliberately positioned this as a major upgrade to the camera's capabilities. It beats out the much more expensive earlier D3X in resolution, ISO and shutter rate, leaving the D3X only superior in battery life and in having a vertical shutter release and duplicate controls. By fitting the battery grip and EN-EL18 battery, you have a camera which is substantially more capable than the D800 alone, and than the D3X ever was.

Like all choices, you have to weigh up cost, capability and weight. It balanced out for me.

As far as getting a third-party battery grip, I baulked at this after reading some of the horror stories about D800s no longer working at all. Some risks are not worth taking.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 June 2013
Although it seems very pricey (there are cheaper non-Nikon versions on the market) it has to be said that this is a quality item that, to me, is essential to get the best out of the camera. We cannot fault the delivery and service from Amazon and its suppliers.
on 29 October 2012
Bought this at the same time as my D800. I've been used to using battery grips, so it was a must have for me. I think it would be better balanced if the grip accommodated two batteries and had a stork that locked into the original battery housing.
on 4 December 2013
I don't review products too often because everything I buy has already excellent or very good reviews. But there has been a lot of talking about a grip for D800. Most of people say that genuine Nikon grip is just overpriced or too expensive for what it is. These are the most common opinions. We all know that there are some third party battery packs in the market. you can get one for £30 or " a better one" for around £100. when you read reviews of these products you can see that they are 4 or even 5 star rated. It actually does not surprise me at all. If someone needs a battery grip for the camera just because they have big hands why to spend £250 on genuine one? If someone just likes to have a grip attached to camera so the camera looks more professionally why not to get a much cheaper one? And the third main reason for buying and choosing a grip is of course more battery power simply saying.
But let's take a closer look at all those reviews of third party grips. "grip doesn't read battery sometimes but if I squeeze it hard enough it starts reading or the shutter leg is a little bit longer than the one on camera but I can get used to it or grip is great only very plastic but looks almost like camera hope it will last for some time or when you attach the grip it seats okay but I would not mount it on a tripod too risky or after attaching the grip there is a clearance between but can live with that or either multi selector or another dial is flimsy or not working as it should every time".
Well first of all Nikon MB-D12 is like 13% of the cost of the camera that is not extremely a lot considering that it is made for vertical easy and more effective shooting where you have same shutter leg as on the camera working exactly same way, your vertical framing improves a lot a lot! much less hand shake and you press the shutter exactly same way as the one on camera because it is no longer or shorter; grip is made of same magnesium material which still keeps your camera safe in different weather conditions, all dials and multi selector work as the ones on the camera perfectly; very accurate battery reading and I mount my camera with Nikon grip attached on my tripod without any worries at all, I screw in my Black Rapid Fasten and the whole thing with heavy lens mounted is still safe I'm outside taking photos it starts raining and my equipment is still weatherproof. Did I pay so much money for professional camera so to give up such important advantages? No.
I forgot about the expense as soon as I unpacked and attached the grip to my D800. Went outside took some shots love it love it just can't imagine attaching anything else to my camera. In a word Nikon MB-D12 is much much more than some people think it is and it is worth the money in any aspect. And no third party battery pack can be compared to it. We can only compare them among themselves but MB-D12 is far beyond that. I know that some d800 owners simply can not accept the price tag of MB-D12 it is high no question about it but quality and reliability must cost.
(…and as everything what's genuine Nikon - it keeps value in terms of selling for any reason)
on 6 June 2013
I was in two minds whether to get this, but I find a grip so comfortable to use that I always get one for my cameras. The battery in this over-priced grip was not recognized by the D800 and swapping between three perfectly OK EN-EL15 batteries didn't make it work either. Neither of the command dials worked and neither did the AF-On button. Needless to say it was returned to Amazon and now I have to wait for up to 4 weeks to get my refund. I'm seriously considering a third party grip. I got the Nikon grip for my D600 on offer at half price, so that was OK but the MB-D12 is waaaay too expensive for what it is.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 March 2014
A little fiddly to get the battery into the battery pack but otherwise superb. Improves the balance, feel and usability of my Nikon D800. The frame rate doesn't improve the D800 native speed unless you pay a few hundred quid more for the D4 battery and charger - and then only from 5 fps to 6 fps, but that's not what I wanted it for. It gives easier access to controls when using the camera in portrait mode. The additional weight is noticeable but more than compensated for by the improved feel and balance. I doubt I shall take it off the camera.