5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 far beyond...
Published 10 months ago by Paul

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money
I used the MB-D10 grip with my D700 for years, it was well made and a little expensive. However the MB-D12, feels cheaper and is truly expensive.

I think that I will either wait until Polaroid come out with a version for the D800

Published 24 months ago by Mr R

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 far beyond..., 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
I don't review products too often because everything I buy has already excellent or very good reviews. But there has been a lot of talking about a grip for D800. Most of people say that genuine Nikon grip is just overpriced or too expensive for what it is. These are the most common opinions. We all know that there are some third party battery packs in the market. you can get one for £30 or " a better one" for around £100. when you read reviews of these products you can see that they are 4 or even 5 star rated. It actually does not surprise me at all. If someone needs a battery grip for the camera just because they have big hands why to spend £250 on genuine one? If someone just likes to have a grip attached to camera so the camera looks more professionally why not to get a much cheaper one? And the third main reason for buying and choosing a grip is of course more battery power simply saying.
But let's take a closer look at all those reviews of third party grips. "grip doesn't read battery sometimes but if I squeeze it hard enough it starts reading or the shutter leg is a little bit longer than the one on camera but I can get used to it or grip is great only very plastic but looks almost like camera hope it will last for some time or when you attach the grip it seats okay but I would not mount it on a tripod too risky or after attaching the grip there is a clearance between but can live with that or either multi selector or another dial is flimsy or not working as it should every time".
Well first of all Nikon MB-D12 is like 13% of the cost of the camera that is not extremely a lot considering that it is made for vertical easy and more effective shooting where you have same shutter leg as on the camera working exactly same way, your vertical framing improves a lot a lot! much less hand shake and you press the shutter exactly same way as the one on camera because it is no longer or shorter; grip is made of same magnesium material which still keeps your camera safe in different weather conditions, all dials and multi selector work as the ones on the camera perfectly; very accurate battery reading and I mount my camera with Nikon grip attached on my tripod without any worries at all, I screw in my Black Rapid Fasten and the whole thing with heavy lens mounted is still safe I'm outside taking photos it starts raining and my equipment is still weatherproof. Did I pay so much money for professional camera so to give up such important advantages? No.
I forgot about the expense as soon as I unpacked and attached the grip to my D800. Went outside took some shots love it love it just can't imagine attaching anything else to my camera. In a word Nikon MB-D12 is much much more than some people think it is and it is worth the money in any aspect. And no third party battery pack can be compared to it. We can only compare them among themselves but MB-D12 is far beyond that. I know that some d800 owners simply can not accept the price tag of MB-D12 it is high no question about it but quality and reliability must cost.
(…and as everything what's genuine Nikon - it keeps value in terms of selling for any reason)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 25 Oct 2012
Mr R (London. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)

Polaroid Wireless Performance Battery Grip For Nikon D300, D700, D300s Digital SLR Cameras - Remote Shutter Release Included

Or look at the Pixel version.

Pixel Vertax D12 Battery Grip for for for Nikon D800 D800E MB-D12 DSLR ENEL15 MBD12 E507- Black

I have now purchased the Polaroid grip Polaroid Performance Battery Grip For The Nikon D800, D800E Digital SLR Camera and for 1/5 of the price it was worth returning the Nikon one.

The Polaroid grip is almost as good so I am happy with the savings and purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have purchased one earlier, 12 Aug 2013
CSMedia (Gospel Oak, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
A choice made after looking at the 3rd party options, why pay over £2,000 for a body only to have it supported on a questionable generic grip. Should have purchased some time ago but like others it was too expensive for what it is and it was thought to add too much weight. The battery fitted does not make much difference to weight and the grip combination is not as heavy as thought. The grip is very comfortable and balances the camera better if you have large hands and with pro lenses.

Rapid Strap : I did NOT find it suitable for use with Rapid strap fitments as the base plate fitting gets in the way of a comfortable grip so the hand is gripping over the strap attachment.

Colour : The colour of the grip, although close, does not match that of the body so may be similar to 3rd party grips. The rollers and knobs are rubber coated on the original and feel solid and quiet, unlike the generic ones apparently and the grip is noticeably weather sealed.

The grip extends the length of the grip in both directions and makes the camera more secure and solid in the hand especially with heavy glass, 14 -24 / 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 VR II Zooms.

The Nikon grip comes with two alternative battery options, the D800 battery or 8 AA rechargeable options. There is also a section to place the rubber cap from the connectors in the grip grooves that some generic grips do not have. Do not be fooled by some of the other grips on Amazon, I noted that Mieke had mixed a genuine grip with theirs, there are tell tale signs such as the labels, so not sure what they are up to. Another buyer on u tube informed that he had been sold a Nikon grip that turned out to be counterfeit so we purchased ours from Calumet in London, a renown professional supplier and they gave a price match.

Overall then a worthwhile purchase and would certainly recommend it, shop around though to get the best deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy item, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
Makes the holding of the camera when shooting portrait style pictures much easier, and when the Battery levels drop it is handy to have the AA option also.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential piece of kit for the D800, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
Although it seems very pricey (there are cheaper non-Nikon versions on the market) it has to be said that this is a quality item that, to me, is essential to get the best out of the camera. We cannot fault the delivery and service from Amazon and its suppliers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well built but a little pricey, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
Bought this at the same time as my D800. I've been used to using battery grips, so it was a must have for me. I think it would be better balanced if the grip accommodated two batteries and had a stork that locked into the original battery housing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifts the D800 to the next level -- at a price, 22 Jun 2013
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
The MB-D12 is the official battery pack for the D800, and is the only one endorsed or supported by Nikon. Using it, you get access to a second battery, higher frame-rate in DX mode if using the D4 type battery, vertical grip shutter release, and duplicate controls. The overall mass of the camera increases, making it more stable when used with long lenses such as the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens.

There has been a lot of criticism of this grip, and it is worth paying attention to it before going down this route. First, the grip is expensive compared to earlier models. Second, one battery remains in the camera while the other goes in the grip, which seems unintuitive. Third, some people think it is flimsy or poorly made, though that isn't my experience. Fourth, in order to get the higher frame rate you have to buy the D4-type battery, the EN-EL18, a Nikon BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover for D800, and the ruinously priced Nikon MH-26 UK Battery Charger for EN-EL18, unless you already own a D4.

The total package price, if you want to go all the way on this one, is around £650, which may seem a lot for the ability to lift your camera to 6fps in DX mode, which is itself reducing your resolution to under 20MP.

My own experience is that this battery pack is just as good as the earlier ones. It also has more functions, as it repeats the toggle switch now required by the presence of video. I don't really see how it is 'flimsy', but that's a personal view.

In terms of the way the other battery remains in the camera, this seems to me an advantage. With the D100 battery grip, for example, both batteries were kept in the grip. This meant that if you removed the grip to make the camera lighter or less conspicuous, you had to relocate the battery holder, refit it, and transfer the battery. With the new arrangement, you just unscrew the battery grip and use it. You can route power usage through the grip first, which means that you are using up that power first, leaving your in-camera battery fully charged.

In terms of the overall cost, my view is that Nikon has deliberately positioned this as a major upgrade to the camera's capabilities. It beats out the much more expensive earlier D3X in resolution, ISO and shutter rate, leaving the D3X only superior in battery life and in having a vertical shutter release and duplicate controls. By fitting the battery grip and EN-EL18 battery, you have a camera which is substantially more capable than the D800 alone, and than the D3X ever was.

Like all choices, you have to weigh up cost, capability and weight. It balanced out for me.

As far as getting a third-party battery grip, I baulked at this after reading some of the horror stories about D800s no longer working at all. Some risks are not worth taking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really need this but it is expensive., 6 Aug 2014
Adrian P. Ferris (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
Well you cannot deny this is expensive for what you get. The quality of th MB D12 is not quite up to my MB D10 that I use on my (still fabulous) D300. It is made in China but it is made of metal so I am confident it is a genuine Nikon model. It was supplied to me by Amazon themselves so it should be the real thing.
If, like myself, you feel the need for a battery grip I think you really need the genuine Nikon grip. But the price.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Light weight with high power quality Nikon product, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
A little lighter than I first thought but the last time I used a drive unit was the PB-E2 on my EOS 1V 10 years ago! It's build quality is that you would expect from Nikon and feels comfortable in the hands.
I did look at 3rd party models but after spending almost 3,000 on the Nikon D-810 would you want to void your warranty over a couple of $$? Overall a quality nikon product built for the professional photographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars and has an excellent feel to it, 25 Aug 2014
Scott Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack for D800 (Camera)
After buying the third party version, I realised that it was worth selling and buying the real thing! The construction of the Nikon version it so much more sturdier and less flimsy, and has an excellent feel to it! The on and off switch can get a bit stuck though, but an all round good addition to the D800!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›