4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Design : 9/10 - Not the best looking but functional. Feel sturdy and controls are easy to use. Good nautural noise isolation. A bit plus for me is that sound leakage is very low, very impressed up to about 80% volume when some begins to escape (audible from a foot away)
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

I'm by no means a serious audiophile, but I can appreciate the difference between a solid pair of cans and over-priced, unrealistic-sounding garbage like Beats. My current headphones of choice are the Sennheiser HD 25iis and they've been a dream to me in the five or so ears I've wielded them.

However as a commuter and avid gym-er I've been looking for a...
Published 17 months ago by Marcus

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MM500-X Stereo Bluetooth Over-Ear Headset Featuring the Apt-X Codec (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Comfort : 8/10 - Fit over my ears fine. Good amount of grip and ear cups are soft. Have used for continuous two hours without discomfort.
Wireless : 9/10 - Pairs well. Occasionally there can be a split second of interference. Not sure if this is down to the headphones or my device. It is rare but has happened several times, much like a cd skipping. Otherwise excellent.
Sound : Excellent. I think they sound great. I listen largely to indie with guitars drums and vocals but I have a wide range and they cope with everything. I also use an apt-x device. Loud enough as well. Can only imagine anyone that disagrees is half deaf or didn't turn up the volume on the ear cup itself as there is built in volume control.
Battery : 7/10 - 10 hours sounded impressive. I probably get 7 to 8 hours listening at about 75-80% volume. Most annoying thing is the battery warning noise! Handy you get a 10 minute warning, but then it continues to go off every minute which is frustrating and unnecessary. Charging is easy and quick.

Overall I think these are an excellent choice. I love being wireless and the faults I have picked are very minor. Bit of tweeking with an equaliser from your app store is worth doing as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid pair of bluetooth headphones with a few notable drawbacks., 31 Jan. 2014
Marcus (London, UK) - See all my reviews

However as a commuter and avid gym-er I've been looking for a wireless option to avoid the encumbering headache that comes with wires. So upon extensive research I was directed to these pair of wireless phones and took the plunge.

My impression:

[Build] - Quite impressed here. Looks are of course subjective but to me they look rather neat, they're very sturdy and they fold quite compactly making them an excellent portable option. No complaints here

[Comfort] - I was a bit apprehensive about going for 'around-hear' phones, but these very comfortably encompass my ears and don't feel fatiguing after extensive use. Bear in mind though my ears are on the small-medium side and they just about fit. If your ears are a bit on the larger side then it might be more of a snug fit.

[Connectivity] - Easy to connect, stays within promised range, no complaints.

[Sound] - This is where it disappoints me. Now I appreciate that with Bluetooth headphones there comes a compromise in sound quality, but at £170 I expected that compromise to be less dramatic. The highs and mids are decent, but the bass is practically non-existent. Now again sonic preferences are also subjective, but if you're a bit of a basshead these headphones will sound quite underwhelming, and no I'm not suggesting it should aspire to Beats level of ridiculous, muddy-sounding bass, but it wouldn't have hurt to pack a little more punch. The biggest drawback however is the volume - its far too low! The noise-isolating qualities are pretty lackluster too - my music was close to being drowned out on near full volume when riding on the London underground.

So can I recommend these headphones? At this price - probably not. They're on the whole a solid wireless option but its drawbacks for me mean they don't constitute good value. A better option (which I've since replaced this with) are Jabra's REVO wireless head phones which are around the same price. If you live without the wireless functionality then you can pick up a better sounding pair of headphones for half the price (even from Sennheiser themselves!).

4.0 out of 5 stars So nearly there, 7 April 2014
I have been on the hunt for "the ones" (being ideal audio/BT headphones) for quite some weeks. I've got close but something lets the cans down and they go back. I really thought these ticked all the boxes, but yet again after a week or so they fell down and also went back. I can fully understand though that they will tick the boxes for a lot of people. Summing up:

+ truly beautiful sound quality - the Senn pedigree really shows
+ you hear parts of music that you never knew was there
+ well-placed intuitive controls
+ loads of accessories and a decent case (that's rare)
+ well-made, like all Senn kit
+ they grip well and cover your ears (but see below)
+ bluetooth is unquestionably the best of all cans I tried - callers said "I can hear you loud and clear"

- the accessory cables are cheap and tangle-capable; shame at this price
- other cans have higher quality build (Jabra Revo, Philips Fidelio, Logitech UE9000, Sony MDR10BT)
- I consistently wanted another 10% "umph" in bass and volume
- after 20-30 mins the tight grip became so uncomfortable that I had to take them off (this was the ultimate deal-breaker).

I did in part overcome the 10% lacking umph by playing around with EQ settings - with preamp and bass settings set to max, most tracks were okay. However, not all and add to that the lack of comfort for extended listening and I had to send them back; replaced with the Logitech UE9000 and the Creative Evo ZxR, both of which were clearly better than the Senns for audio quality (a big shock and an indication of how good those two pairs are). On that last point, the sound quality of the UE9000s is so SO good, that all other sets were dismissed and returned. They are not the best for bluetooth though just scrape through, but the sound is way way better than any cans I have ever listened to, by a mile.

Back to the Sennheiser MM-500X - they are good, very good and will be no.1 for a lot of people. Just not quite right for me (I do have a large head so that may be a factor!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 27 Aug. 2013
Best headset I've ever owned. Even without apt-x codec the quality of the sound is outstanding! Battery last me for 4-5 days of average use (1,5 - 2,5h per day). Headset feels very comfy when on

5.0 out of 5 stars Using them for a month now., 16 Jan. 2014
I needed a pair of headphones for a long flight I was doing and these went above and beyond my expectations. I've used them for a month, battery life is good, sound isn't as good as a larger pari obviously, but the quality is not s*** in any way. I was actually contemplating rating this as a 1 start just so that when others read 1 star reviews, they know the truth. Bluetooth does have a few drops (less than 10 from over a month of daily use) as to be expected though. Aptx-codec is amazing though, It really is hard to tell that they aren't connected. THE HEADPHONES ARE NOT TOO SMALL. I'm indian and have very big ears, I stretched them out to about 5 clicks on each side and they fit very comfortably around my ears and securely enough on my head (you still can't go running with them though).
all in all, brilliant pair of headphones, the main problem I see is that the price is quite steep, however comparative to other headphones in this series, it's a steal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Function over form, 2 Dec. 2013
Andrew Johnson "Jasper" (London) - See all my reviews
These may not be the sexiest looking headphones out there, but they might be the best designed. They are almost entirely black plastic with no fancy wood or alloy bits, but build quality still feels excellent. They fold up easily and the controls are intuitive.
The apt-x codec sounds better than the older bluetooth A2DP one, and also has less delay so lip-sync is much better when watching movies (But you will only get this benefit if your phone or mp3 player also supports apt-x).

Why not 5 stars? Well, I'm really fussy about sound quality and for this kind of money you can get better sound from a set of old fashioned wired phones (such as Sennheiser's own "Momentum" models) but of course you lose out on the convenience of bluetooth, so it's not really a fair comparison!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Deep Bass & Crystal Clear Treble, 1 Jun. 2013
I listen to a wide range of music from classical to heavy rock and these Bluetooth headphones do justice to the sound, no matter what's playing. You can feel the bass from some tracks before you even register it audibly, meanwhile the top end stays perfectly crisp - even with the volume up high. The Bluetooth range is about 15 metres, line of sight (7-10 metres indoors) before the sounds starts to break up, paired with my Lumia 900. Pairing with my laptop or iPad also works flawlessly.
These are not the sound cancelling version headphones, but you actually don't need that feature for everyday use - you can't really hear people talking around you unless they're right next to you anyway (tested in an office environment)!

Call quality when paired with my phone is excellent. The person on the other end of the call can't tell it's on handsfree, so that's exactly how it should be.

Although I've been using these headphones for a couple of months, I haven't made use of the Apt-X feature as I don't own any devices with it... yet.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 28 Oct. 2013
Got these after much searching as I hate in ear type headphones. They are very comfortable, great sound for me and I never miss a call/text/update on my phone. They contact via bluetooth to every device I own seamlessly. They have now trekked many miles with me, very pleased with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars MM500X, 2 Sept. 2013
Initially I was wary of them as I have a pair of the pxc350 noise cancelling headphones and was unsure how they would sound during travel in noisy environment bearing in mind that the noise cancelling version are much more expensive. They are excellent they hold a stable bluetooth connection. Obviously the quality depends also what you are shoving into them, I have tested them with the cable option on a high quality source and they are fantastic with great reproduction. Lesser quality sources will show but thats not the fault of the headset.

So a well built high quality product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fragile and average sound., 14 Jan. 2015
Very disappointed in these headphone.
Had them for 8 months now. Quality of the audio is good, however as others have mentioned it quite flat for the money you are paying.
The bluetooth works well however occasionally you do get sound blips and cut-offs for half a second.

I have a Samsung S4 and they paired well and can control the music players easily. I use them for both music and videos and occasionally in call audio and mic. That all works fairly well but can be annoying if you forget to unpair them / turn them off as you don't hear the phone ring if you aren't wearing them.

Now onto the bad.
They don't feel like a quality pair of headphones. They are quite plasticy, mine have recently snapped in the headband (whilst I was folding the earphones in. They have snapped all the way through so only the leather ( pleather?) and cushioning of the headband are holding them together now. I would have thought that the band inside would have been metal all the way through as appears when you extend the earbuds. But no it's plastic.

Second big bugbear is the sound level. It's possibly to comfortably listen to the headphones with the sound at full volume on the phone and headphones...This is probably because they have a small battery powering them but still..Sometimes you want to drown the world out!

I've marked them down mainly because of the plastic feel and low sound quality for the money. I had a pair of HD212 pro from Sennheiser that cost a third of the price (possibly even less) and the sound quality was massively better than these in low mid and high ranges. I'm probably going to have to get another set of different ones once the snapped plastic bit wears through.