Format: Audio CD|Change

What an enjoyable way to spend just over an hour, a great compilation from 'Ace' records. This is an Elvis special edition of the 'You heard it here first' series. There are 24 tracks on the cd that Elvis recorded versions of across his long and fantastic career, some i'd heard before and some I didn't know at all (a fine assortment - I love Vern Stovall's 'Long Black Limousine'). Let me say that it's no wonder that Elvis recorded cover versions of these songs, on the whole nearly all are very strong and excellent songs and more than a handful are country tinged. In my opinion I found that the tracks fell into three catagories:-

1) A good song that has you itching to play the Elvis version e.g. 'Girl of my best friend'.

2) Great songs, great versions that Elvis did'nt change that much e.g. Carl Mann's excellent 'I'm comin' home', Jerry Reeds 'Guitar man' and Thomas Waynes 'Girl next door' which has a very presleyesque vocal and sound to it.

3) Spellbinding songs and versions that equal that of Elvis - Bob Dylan's 'Tomorrow is a long time' is both powerful and tender at the same time and Tony Joe Whites 'For Ol' times sake' is just so heartbreaking - the lyrics must have struck a chord with Elvis as many of the latter songs on the compilation must have done.

Overall, I strongly recommend this cd even if your not an Elvis fan.
on 8 July 2012
There are CDs out there which collect the original versions of Elvis's early hits. This CD is of later material and contains some great recordings.
There is real quality & some surprises here. You can see that if Elvis liked an arrangement, he stuck with it for his version of the song.

A number of standout tracks, depending on your taste.
The Pointer Sisters 'Fairytale' is fabulous.
The Clovers 'Bossa Nove baby' came as a complete surprise as I had always assumed that it had been written for Elvis.
Old friends of Elvis, Carl Mann & Charlie Rich are here.

Elvis fans should buy it to hear the original versions & rock and roll & country fans will love these songs.

Recommended.
on 22 July 2012
Does Ace ever screw up/make anything but excellent products?Absolutely never! Each is like a college course(Someome else did "Girl of My Best Friend" prior to Elvis? Who'd-a-thunk? And Brenda Lee did "Always On My Mind" earlier also? Geez.....).The sound is great,as is the booklet.This is my third copy,as the first two,gotten at a local store, had tracking problems(the first run) which Ace acknowledged on their website once returns started coming in,honoring all give backs,but this sounds perfect.Not to be missed.....
on 2 September 2012
I guess this album is more for the Elvis obsessive than the casual admirer but if you are interested in where Elvis got some of his ideas for material from then you will enjoy this selection. The original sources of Elvis's early work can be found elsewhere - this set of 24 songs covers mainly his middle to late period. The artists who provided the original versions vary from Carl Mann ("I'm Coming Home") to Bob Dylan ("Tomorrow is a Long Time") and Tony Joe White ("For Ol' Times Sake"). The only females are Brenda Lee ("Always on my Mind") and the Pointer Sisters ("Fairytale"). It is interesting to hear how Elvis sticks close to the original on some tracks and reinterprets others.
An enjoyable stand-alone album but mainly for the real Elvis fan.
on 18 August 2014
great to hear originals and compare with Elvis version
on 5 April 2012
I would like to say Elvis has inspired by Odetta in "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" and by O.C. Smith in "Long Black Limousine" instead of Bob Dylan and Vern Stovall. In listening all these tracks by other artists, I can say Elvis is the all-time greatest singer of the century.
on 23 May 2012
This Cd like most Ace products deserves 5 stars and now has them from me. Original press did not have the Chalie Rich version of Pieces Of My Life new product has and Ace will send you the new disc, now that's service!Great track selection very enjoyable listen.
on 10 February 2016
Fab
on 27 April 2012
This is a great CD and being a lifelong Elvis fan over 55years (sic) I agree with the other review that as good as this CD is Elvis versions were an improvement on nearly all of these songs . The exceptions being Guitar Man - Jerry Reid , I'm Coming Home - Carl Mann ,I Want You With Me -- Bobby Darin and Long Black Limousine - Vern Stovall these four tracks in particular are not better than the Elvis versions but run them close . I have heard all of these tracks before but to get them on one CD is great .