5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent surround-sound headset
Published 13 months ago by Odin

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Headset, expensive price.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:59 Mins
Published 17 months ago by JohnF

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent surround-sound headset, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
I had a nightmare of a time trying to find which surround-sound headphones would be right for me. Before the Tiamat, consensus was that virtual (ie emulated) surround sound was both cheaper and better than genuine 7.1 surround-sound sets, but when the Tiamat came out, gaming-industry reviews have all been really good. However, user findings have been so mixed that I felt like I was taking an expensive risk. I'm now glad I did and I do believe that people reporting sound quality issues haven't thought (or aren't able) to adjust their soundcard settings, are using sub-quality on-board sound instead of a dedicated soundcard or are making incorrect volume adjustments to destroy the surround sound effect (more on all this later). I'm sorry that this is a very long review but I was SO fed up with every headset out there having a bunch of forum-based user reviews of doom that I wanted to address those same woeful comments of THIS headset for other tired would-be purchasers!

Things to note:

- These are GAMING headphones - not for music
- Treat them as speakers (don't pick 'headphones' in game settings)
- Sound will only be as good as your soundcard's capability
- All audio jacks and USB must be connected (not either/or)
- Bass levels should be adjusted in your soundcard settings

To cut a LONG post short, I highly recommend this headset for an excellent gaming surround-sound experience (bass is fabulous). I've given full details below for anyone wanting to know more about the headset and what to expect, and where some reported 'problems' might be a mistake by the user or lack of information from Razer.

______________________________

CONNECTIVITY
There are five audio jacks (rear, side, front, subwoofer and mic) plus a USB connector. Unlike some headsets out there, ALL need to be connected. I had a few problems initially and it took me a couple of hours to figure out what was wrong, and the almost impossible-to-see colour coding bands on the metal connectors didn't help much. My sound card was missing pink and grey inputs that the headset needed (my Soundblaster card has blue and black instead). I couldn't tell whether the Tiamat's black was in fact dark blue, and I definitely had nowhere for a pink! After various cable-swaps with wrong results, I resorted to my soundcard manual and it transpires the pink mic jack must be plugged into the blue line-in of the Soundblaster (and the soundcard software changed to recognise this port as mic rather than line-in so the headset mic will work). This inconsistency was caused by my soundcard (not the headset) so I'm only mentioning this as Soundblaster is still a fairly common card and it might save others having the same confusion. Other soundcards will hopefully have more standard inputs with separate line-in and mic inputs!

GENERAL SOUND QUALITY
It's excellent - bass is very strong (best I've heard in any headset). First impressions were disappointing and I can see why some users complained immediately: bass was weak and ineffective and volume was just too quiet altogether. However, I'd previously tweaked my soundcard settings to lower bass levels (I have a booming subwoofer and near neighbours - alas, the two aren't compatible with each other)! Increasing my bass settings made a world of difference. Remember that these phones are simply speakers outputting your soundcard's settings, and the settings that work for your speakers won't likely be good for the headset so expect to tinker with bass, treble etc. Also, don't choose 'stereo' or 'headphones' as your in-game sound settings. You're using your 7.1 soundcard as output just as you would your regular speakers, so choose that.

My first game to test was Mass Effect 3. For people unfamiliar with this game, it has 'biotic explosions' that are deep, boomy and rip through airwaves rather like thunder-claps and I could not believe how deep the bass was (I had to turn it down!) and how clear the effect of travelling sound was relayed. Likewise, small-detail sounds like dripping water, insect noises and atmospheric sounds that I'd not really noticed in my games through speakers were suddenly very clear. Note: this headset WILL only be as good as your soundcard, and generally speaking, on-board sound is often 'okay' at best whereas dedicated sound-cards will give a much richer quality of sound - often easing pressure from the CPU at the same time. There's no need to go expensive: the card I have (Soundblaster Audigy X-Fi 7.1 PCI-e) is currently offered by Amazon UK for 30 ($48 Amazon US) and it sounds fantastic through this headset. Razer lists this and many more recent cards that are compatible with the Tiamat on their website's FAQs for the headset.

SURROUND SOUND?
Direction of sound is very, very clear. Many action games can be won or lost just by knowing the exact direction of sound. My Mass Effect multiplayer scores showed immediate improvement as I found myself tracking down enemies with ease before any of my competitors. It really does work extremely well, with rear sounds genuinely coming from 'behind' and sound panning around correctly if you rotate yourself in a game. The factory-default settings of these headphones is that the front and side drivers are at a higher volume than the rear sound, and I recommend leaving them like this (sound behind ears is naturally quieter to us than sound in front, so rear drivers should be quieter to create that same effect). Note: there is some nonsense spouted by users (not official reviewers) about games not offering 7.1 surround sound and so such headphones won't work but in every instance where I've read this, the users stated they would 'never buy' - in other words, they likely haven't tried them. Surround sound gaming has been a feature of PCs since the 1990s, and the increase of hardware output channels merely increases accuracy of detected direction. Suffice to say, all games I've tried so far (including a couple of older games that wouldn't have known 7.1) have worked really well.

MIC QUALITY
Not tested beyond 'it works' as I don't tend to use a mic often. It slides neatly into the ear-piece out of view when not in use, and a button on the controller conveniently enables or disables its use. The build quality of the mic is as reviews state: a bit on the cheap plasticky side. However, I've read that it does the job; you just likely won't be making any prized recordings with it!

COMFORT AND FIT
I have two problems with headsets generally: my head is on the larger side AND I have to wear glasses where the earpieces can hurt when wearing headphones. Although the headphones feel heavy in the hand, they're actually not at all heavy to wear (there's no downward pressure on the head, no sensation of hair being pulled downward and they don't squeeze inward tightly). During short to medium gaming sessions 2 - 6 hours I experienced no discomfort whatsoever; however, one particularly long gaming session of 12 hours with few breaks started to make my ears ache at the very end, - but 12 hours is on the extreme side and I wouldn't expect ANY headset to feel comfortable for that length of time. As for the set being wired, the length of cable is reasonable (more than adequate for a PC and desk arrangement at least) and the cable is made of lightweight and flexible fabric cord (similar to other Razer wired devices) and so is of no weight or the encumbrance of traditional plastic-coated cable.

WHAT ABOUT CONNECTING DESKTOP SPEAKERS?
The Tiamat controller comes bundled with an optional set of connectors for speaker pass-through so you can have both speakers and headset connected at once and switch between them at the press of a button on the controller rather than swap cables around. My speaker set is only 5.1 but the pass-through still works fine (I just used the front and rear Tiamat speaker connectors, omitting the side). My only criticism is that the pass-through cable length is unforgivably short.

SO, IS SPEAKER-HUM AN ISSUE?
There are a few comments out there about speaker-humming when the headset is plugged in and speakers are also connected to the included but optional pass-through cable. I encountered this for the first time recently, only later to discover that the pass-through connector had worked slightly loose in the controller (my fault - I'd knocked the controller off my desk but it's quite weighty and that likely led to the connector pulling loose. After pushing it back firmly into place, the hum was gone and I've had no problems since.

OVERALL
I'm so glad I bought this headset now. I'd considered others (the emulated variety) and had only hesitated buying any of these because of sound quality or comfort issues mentioned against them. The Tiamat headset is the only true (not emulated) surround-sound headset to receive across-the-board good reviews but there was still a gamut of user reviews either praising or bemoaning the sound quality and it was hard to know who was right. On this occasion, I found official reviews to be correct (Razer could help their reputation by offering clearer information on how to get the best out of the headset). Overall, I'm delighted with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Headset, expensive price., 17 Mar 2013
Length:: 9:59 Mins

I managed to break my Logitec G930 headset. I did a lot of Googling and struggled to find anything that looked to be a safe bet for a good headset. All the professional reviews I read of Razer Tiamat were good, but on Amazon there was the odd negative customer review. I've always liked Razer stuff in the past so I took a leap of faith and ordered this headset. One of our clan members asked that I do a review when I got it. This is it!

This is the first time I've done any sort of review. I had to shorten it (full version up on YT), drop the resolution and compress it to meet Amazon requirements so apologies for any issues with the quality - tried to avoid messing with the sound. Feedback welcome but please be gentle!

Products reference
Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930

4.0 out of 5 stars Razer Feeling, Quality and price, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
From the beginning I was using the Steelseries Siberia v2 Full-Size Gaming Headset and If you compair these 2 headsets there are a couple of up and downsides.

Steelseries Siberia v2:
+ You could almost not even feel them on your head.
+ - Good quality of the sound and you could, after a while, learn to pinpoint your enemies.
+ Price.
+ Retractable mic
- Volume aviability is considerably lower than the Razer T 7.1 E
- Overall quality, those can break easily. Mine did 2 times.
- Aviable settings.

Razer Tiamat 7.1 E
The two first days I wanted to return them since they were to heavy and they felt like they did not fit on my head correctly, As if they were a little askew. 3rd day I switched the ear cups on both sides and suddenly I could wear them and they felt soo nice and tight. I later forgot about the weight and I'm very happy with the headset and have no plans of getting rid of them or change back.

+ Easily pinpoint enemies. (Even in 2.1 sound settings)
+ Good overall quality. (Im a little worried about the mic)
+ Ear cups are Isolating sound from your surrounding.
+ Volume controler or "settings controler" has soo many settings you can play with.
+ Long (continuous) cable.
+ Retractable mic
- Price

If you want a really good headset with a True surround sound, this is the headset i'd recommend. They are pricey and if you had a couple of headphones/headsets that were smaller or lighter in weight it might take a while to get used to them but once you do that, I can almost promise that you will not return them or change back...

4.0 out of 5 stars After a few weeks of usage, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
I thought I'd write a small review about this since there has been mixed reactions in regards to this headset, I bought this for two reasons, to change from the Logitech G930 due to disconnection issues and to maximize use of my 7.1 sound card, I was cautious about this product at first given a lot of negative user reviews around the interwebs, especially given their recommendations to avoid, eventually I decided against that and went for it.

So, after using it for a few weeks- I've learn that you must know your audio or at least have some knowledge about audio devices to maximize use of this peripheral- since it's packing a lot of drivers in such a small space, saying that, it's very important that you have a good quality sound card, you cannot skimp here. (I paired this with a Soundblaster Fatality Titanium Pro)

Out of the box, default settings the sound quality is poor due to the drivers packed together in the headset, bass is the weakest and feels non existent, now this is where I said knowledge of audio is important- it becomes a balancing act, you'll need to dive into the sound card applications and modify the EQ (create one for games, music and video), surround ratio, individual driver volumes and bass boosting/support, once you do this, it'll work perfect.

TLDR: You need a quality sound card, audio experience/knowledge to modify the EQ, individual driver volumes etc, it's about balancing to get this to work.
Razer is about customizing, most of their products you don't have to do much, but for the Tiamat 7.1, it's essential you do because out of the box, the sound is poor, too much trebble, not enough bass.

I got my settings adjusted and I'm happy with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars needs careful configuration but sounds great, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
I bought these recently and think they're great :)

what I think some of the negative reviewers have come up against when complaining about the sound quality and/or lack of bass I believe to be attributable to the soundcard in use or the configuration thereof.

Initially I tried to use these with an onboard 7.1 soundcard - which gave very unsatisfactory sound as the headphones simply put through the channels they're given and with any surround setup you have to take account of what the speakers are capable of.

In this case it means that the smaller drivers are not capable of supplying thunderous bass (that's what the "sub" is for) and you need to configure your soundcard accordingly.

the onboard card didn't have facility to define both size of "speakers" and a bass crossover frequency to pass low frequencies to the "sub".

teaming this headset with a xonar phoebus solo card allowed me to adjust all the required parameters to turn this headset from a naff badly balanced sounding overpriced waste of time into a fantastic gaming audio experience.

in short - don't expect this to work as intended with basic soundcards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
There are mixed reviews about razer tiamat 7.1 and I was worried that sound quality would be disappointing. 7.1 Sound system on this is awesome (game and music)! Great surround and bass.

One tip to everyone, make sure you dont swap front speaker input with sub-woofer input as I did that and was thinking audio was terrible (it was working as its all analog). Took me a while to realize.

I have build in 7.1 sound card in MSI Z77-G43

No buzzing or anything just clear sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor reviews., 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
The poor reviews that this headset is receiving is clearly people buying this without a dedicated 7.1 sound card built into there P.C. I have had two Tritton's recently which have both broken due to poor build quality. This headset is far superior in everyway to any of the current Tritton line up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing... after long and tiring setup, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
The headset works amazing. The sound quality is one of the best and the 7.1 sorround works like a charm. Unfortunetly Windows has problems with the razer Tiamat. It doesen't recognize the Tiamat as a 7.1 sorround Sound device and disables the sub-woofer (why windows, why?). So if you just plug the Tiamat in it Sound is horrible. It takes a lot of tinkering with your Sound card settings to get to Sound well. But when it does you won't regret buying the razer Tiamat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Headset great Sound but why Earcups so Small!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
Bought these to replace a set of Turtle beach Z6A 5.1 currently available on Amazon for 84.92. These broke at the hinge, a weak point on any hinged headset. The turtle beach worked well, great sound and mic and were very comfortable, but I liked the idea of upgrading from 5.1 sound to 7.1 sound.

I hoped the Razer would be more robust. So far seem ok from point of view seem robust but has a rotating hinge so time will tell.

The overall sound quality is better than Z6A but like the Z6A took a while to set up. Both Initially sounded awfull. Had to set bass boost in windows and enabe surround sound and sound effects features in sound card. Worth remembering the headset has five speakers in each earcup but its the soundcard and application that creates the output to each speaker to create the surround sound. I have tried both using my onboard sound which uses a Audegy emulation, quality very bad! so good quality dedicated 7.1 souncard essential. Razer has a list on its website.

I play AVA which supports 5.1 and Aces High which supports 7.1 Surround sound works well. No problems with base as other reviewers reported and mic sound fine. No hiss or buzz on my Dell compouter with Soundblaster XFI titanium soundcard.

Nice touch is you can set headset to stereo only using button on the controls and thankfully you can also turn Bass down on the controls. This is essential if you intend to also use headset to watch movies or listen to music. Quality ok.

Also like the mic which retracts into headcup but does feel a little flimsy.

Downside is comfort. As other reviewers comment tthe earcups are too small. There is a slight upward force from the supporting band which would not be a problem if there was a little more space in the earcups, perhaps all the Razer product testers are Munchkins! My ears are average size. This is why I have given 4 stars instead of 5. I have worn them for several days now and they seem to be "bedding" in and are more comfortable but I have to adjust position every 30mins or so. Z6A were so confortable you did not notice them.

Earcups do detach easily for replacement. hopefully Razer will introduce replacements with a larger space for ears, would be easy to to as the pads are very thick.

Not sure if the Tiamet 7.1 surround effect is any better than the Z6A 5.1 but overall quality of sound and bass better. The Razer controls are good, much better than turtle beach which dont lock and keep moving.

Overall happy with purchase but given the Tiamet are almost twice current price of ZA6 I would recommend the ZA6 as best value for money as not much difference between 5.1 and 7.1 using a headset but be carefull when unfolding the earcups and putting them on, any force against the hinge will break the tiny plastic screw fixing. if you have large ears forget the Tiamet they would be unbearably uncomfortable.

Ideal headset would be the Tiamet 7.1 with the ZA6 earcups!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, poor ergonomics, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset (Accessory)
Delivers good quality of sound and strong mic performance but suffers miserably from poor design.

The mic mount is flimsy and badly placed, so that it moves around noisily in its mount (cannot be completely fixed in place except with glue). But worst of all is the thick cable - it oozes class and quality when you first open the box, but as soon as you put the headset on it becomes a nightmare - the cable rubs on your clothes with every movement creating lound noise in your headset and in the mic.

Its a pity that such a small thing completely defeats the utility of this otherwise great product in its primary application of gaming voice-comm.

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite Gaming Headset