5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Get to Grips With
I've been using this book for a couple of months now and I've found it extremely helpful. As a web designer / developer for much of my time it's great to come across a book that can introduce a language that's new to me with ease.

Published 17 months ago by stef

3.0 out of 5 stars Does jQuery dumb down javascript
Javascript is a pig of a language. There is no decent IDE and to do a lot of simple things you write lines of code. So much so that you end up compiling your own (albeit not as precise) jQuery code. However in doing so you learn lots of valuable javascript lessons. Now jQuery is good at what it does and you can see exactly what there code does, which is good for the more...
Published 9 months ago by darthpoik

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Get to Grips With, 8 July 2013

I'd never really used jQuery before and only dabbled with a little CSS but this book has introduced it clearly and generically. Most books will have you go down a forced route or project to get you into an example as quickly as possible and hope you learn through practice rather than reading. However, this conveniently does both. It offers small examples with each part as well as looking to apply them all to a over-arching larger example. However, this isn't a 'must complete' project with steps 1 to 100 to finish, it's simply putting everything into an easy to follow context.

In terms of who should use this book I would suggest that the first few chapters would be wasted on the intermediate / advanced user. As for beginners, it would be good to have some programming knowledge beforehand, primarily HTML, as a lot of the initial concepts are explained using HTML examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Sitepoint cracker: yes, you will use jQuery after this, 11 Sep 2012
Ralph Bacon "Aresby" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When creating websites, use of JavaScript is essential to allow the web site to be immediately responsive to a user's actions, instead of sending everything back to the server before anything happens.

OK, I already know JavaScript pretty well but it is sometimes very tedious to do in JavaScript what is today considered fairly rudimentary on a website. Fading in a picture, for example, that works across ALL browsers and versions.

jQuery changes all that and allows you to tap into the largest (free) JavaScript library in the universe. Without a doubt, jQuery has revitalised universal use of JavaScript for just about every web site going (including Google and Amazon).

This book is written so well that I haven't even finished it by any means but am already including several features into my own websites.

If you DON'T know JavaScript then this book will show you that you just need a few fundamentals and then let jQuery do all the hard work for you.

The author is very pragmatic and gives countless examples that you can try out just with a plain text editor at home. He has a good writing style that makes it sound as though he's sitting next to you at your desk.

It's beautifully laid out, with lots of code boxes clearly marked and the text is not cramped together like some academic books can be. Plenty of white space is the key here.

I just love this book and am so glad I paid what I considered at the time to be a premium - now I know that it was money well spent.

I've fallen in love again with JavaScript through jQuery and this book made it happen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Written, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: jQuery: Novice to Ninja, 2nd Edition - New Kicks and Tricks (Kindle Edition)
Very easy to follow. The examples are very good. Heaps of tips which I'm already putting into practice. Entertaining writing style. I had a little experience with jQuery and very small experience with Javascript and was perfect level for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars After more than 15 JQuery books, this is the best I've found, 16 Oct 2014
This and its 2nd edition are the best JQuery books I have. Its far more easier to understand and use than a regular JQuery book which talks about every detail of the framework because it shows you how to make real working examples of the things you see on hundreds of high quality websites.

It shows you how to make dialog boxes, amazing tooltips, loading spinners, and so much more. Its worth double the price they're asking and well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
good stuff feel more comfortable with jquery now, powerful stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 21 May 2014
Very good book!

This is a really good read. Some technical books can be quite dry and be a challenge to keep reading. But this one has kept my interest for the entire time I've been reading it!

I'll definitely be looking out for more books by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive jQuery Book, 7 Oct 2013
Light-hearted, heavy duty - this is the jQuery book to get. It even explains stuff for people without Javascript knowledge. Brilliant set of examples, full-bodied, quality through and through. Every example is built slowly-slowly fromt he ground up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 April 2013
Excellent and easy to understand jquery book. I am already familiar with the jquery api, but just wanted a good overview of plugins, which this book covers. Nice examples, all well laid out. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent (SIX start rating), 28 Feb 2013
I have written JavaScript for the last 10 years and found it to be a very useful language although a little simple with tons and tons of typing (or copy/pasting) to achieve anything.

When jQuery first appeared I was immediately interested but did not have the time to dig deeper. Having just finished a three year project I decided that I needed to get to know jQuery.

It is like someone at JS listened to me banging on about JavaScript and built something better so now all I needed was a manual. By downloading EVERY jQuery sample and reading every one I came to this book. I read it from cover to cover the moment it downloaded and started practicing the techniques right away. I have surfaced for a few hours only before plunging in again and felt I must say `Cheers Bud` to the author for this excellent tome (are they still tomes if they are electronic?). I do not think this book would be perfect for someone who does not know JavaScript but for me it is an `Ile Flottane` of loveliness.

OK, waffle over, got to get back to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good jQuery book with clear examples, 31 Jan 2013
This is good book which like the title says is good for novice jQuery programmers all the way up to professionals who wish to write their own jQuery extensions and plugins. The code is quite clear with detailed explainations. The project are different enough to be interesting and show a good way to implement functionality for your website. Perhaps not enough content for jQuery professionals and could have used more examples of best practices (what to do and what not to do).