on 1 December 2011
good little umbrella... Got it for my son who is not gentle with things and it still exists!! I had got him the same with a handle and it was also good but now he needs something smaller for his work bag. Only a month but so far so good!
on 31 August 2014
Well built quality product that looks good and performs as you would expect from Fulton. Auto open and close feature makes it easy to operate. Small and neat when folded. If it ever breaks I will buy another.
on 26 October 2014
Fulton must make the best umbrellas and I have 3 of this model and 1 of the golf size. This model is a handy size to keep in a bag, the button mechanism works continually well over the years and is robust even in very strong winds. Never managed to break a fulton umbrella, the only risk seems to be losing one on a train or some such.
on 23 November 2011
Just had this a couple of days and only used it in light winds - so far so good, but I don't expect it to last very long as it feels extremely flimsy and a little too, for want of a better term, 'dainty' for a man's umbrella. To me, it feels shorter than the average automatic, I find I need to hold the handle almost at neck-level to keep the canopy clear of my face.

The fold-flat is an interesting idea, apart from 1) the rectangular handle is uncomfortable and awkward to hold, and 2) it's almost impossible to get it folded back into a square without feeling like you're stretching the fabric or bending the splines out of their natural form. I doubt I'll ever get it folded right again!

The mechanism is smooth, albeit a little too slow and underpowered for my liking - the canopy doesn't seem to fully lock open unless I shake it out, even in windless conditions. It certainly doesn't feel like you're paying for high quality (as the relatively high price-tag might suggest), albeit looking underneath the canopy you do get a sense that there is some impressive engineering at work.

On the positive side, I guess it's kept me dry so far. To be honest, I'd probably send it back if I could get the damn thing folded away properly. I'll just wait until it gets ripped apart on the next windy day and go buy a "proper man's" windproof umbrella instead. I'll update this review if/when that happens...

--UPDATE--
So, I received this on Nov 18th, posted the above a week later. Now on Jan 4th, I'm updating as promised! I've uploaded a photo of the damage to the customer images section. That bend you see isn't supposed to be there...

A gust of wind caught it and it turned inside out. It's designed to recover from that by simply closing and reopening the umbrella, but whatever happened in this case, it didn't recover very well! One of the spines has bent completely out of shape.

Don't buy this item! Luckily, Amazon's excellent customer service allowed me to return it for a full refund :) I'm off to buy a proper umbrella.

--FINAL UPDATE--
Buy this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulton-Jumbo-Open-Close-Umbrella/dp/B002PHM702 (Fulton Jumbo) Proper 'mansized' canopy, feels to be of a stronger build and so far has stood up to gusts of winds really well. Impressed.
review image
on 31 March 2011
The Fulton Umbrella is a class act. Compact, nicely finished, it does all that is promised in the advert. Even the metal tag embellishment is tasteful and discreet. It keeps off the rain even in Salford ! A delight to use on a rainy day.
on 21 October 2011
Very sleek cool design, mechanism is good, and wide dimension for folding umbrella.Would buy again if needed. Excellent value for money.
on 27 April 2012
After years of buying cheap brollies only to have them break on me during wet windy weather I decided to splash out on a brolly which would last a bit longer.
My partner has a Fulton brolly which is great, so I ordered this Fulton one which is small enough to fit into a handbag. It is not as sturdy as my parnter's one but it has handled wet and windy weather well so far and is much easier to carry around.
The catch is a little stiff but it is easy to use. I'd reccommend this brolly if you need a small one - if you are happy to have a larger brolly I'd recommend the full size Fulton one as it is a bit sturdier.
on 14 March 2012
Nice design but the tubes that constitute the "neck" of the umbrella have a small space between them, so that gives you the sense of keeping something loose when opened. The close function with the button is usefull when you have your other hand occupied with carrying something and want to close the umbrella in order to get in the car quickly! If you press the button and close the canopy, you also have to fully close the stem of the umbrella in order to repoen it, that means you cannot just press immediately the button and reopen it. Already tested in windy conditions and looks strong enough. Thought that the flat handle would be inconvenient in comparison with a round but not a problem at all.
on 12 August 2012
When using the umbrella on a particularly windy day it turned inside out and I was able to get it the right way. The umbrella was undamaged by this. So it seems to be quite resilient so far
on 13 August 2012
It's big enough for two, packs super small, and stands up well to windy, rainy UK days. The opening/closing mechanism is smooth, and so far, very reliable.