5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best rugged camera
After a bad experience with my last camera (Fuji F550) I spent a lot of time researching rugged cameras before buying this one. Well, the research paid off because I'm certain I made the right choice. I'll try and summarise the important points:
Published on 11 Aug 2012 by Nigel Barrett

3.0 out of 5 stars good value waterproof camera
I did get this with 70 discount so made it a good price for an Olympus waterproof camera. It does feel lighter than previous 'tough' cameras but so far is waterproof which is what I really wanted. Loads of functions I'll probably never use but the photos are great for poke and press family snaps.
Published 5 months ago by Alison Styles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best rugged camera, 11 Aug 2012
Nigel Barrett (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus TG-620 Rugged Digital Compact Camera - Green (12MP, 5x Wide Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Electronics)
- Look & feel. I was expecting the camera to be larger; in fact other than the word "Tough" on the front, you wouldn't think it was the rugged type. It feels solid but not too heavy, and I like my green model, can't say I liked the other colour choices. Maybe Olympus should consider adding yellow and a proper red to the range.
- Shooting speed is amazing. This one actually takes the picture when you press the button, and not after your subject has left the room :)
- Auto exposure is extremely good. This is important in point & shoot cameras because you want to be spending your time framing up the shot & not fiddling with options. Having said that, some of my shots were under-exposed due to strong backlighting.
- Auto focus and anti-shake works well. Most of my pictures are in focus.
- Rugged features are good. The camera was drop-tested by a butterfingered colleague; it bounced off the edge of a desk & hit the floor. I can't find any marks on it at all and it continues to work perfectly. I haven't tried it underwater but it survived being rained on, and it worked normally inside the Eden Project's rainforest when everyone else's camera had fogged up with condensation.
- Zoom is 5x, which is good considering the lens is housed entirely inside the body of the camera. Longer zooms are only possible with a much bulkier body or a protruding lens and neither of those would have been an acceptable option for this design.
- Screen is big & clear; like any camera it can be hard to see in bright sunlight.
- Controls are simple, my only complaint is the joystick control would have been better as a set of four buttons for up,down,left,right. As it stands, it's functional but I regularly select the wrong option and have to back up a step & try again.
- Shooting modes - I haven't experimented with many of these yet. Most of my shots were done with in intelligent auto mode, and a few with the macro mode. I also tried a few panoramas and the camera makes it idiot-proof. The auto stitching is quite good, though I haven't found a way to have it take any more than 3 photos per panorama.
- Picture quality is better than I expected. When I compare the photos with results from an SLR, the most noticable difference in well-lit photos is that when you zoom in, you see a little bit of noise. This is the trade-off you make when using a camera with such a small lens. It won't be visible in normal sized prints but it might be an issue if you're planning to crop a photo significantly.
- Battery life is reasonable. I have two batteries but found that had I could have managed with one provided i topped up the charge each day. Not having GPS is a bonus, as this tends to flatten batteries very quickly.
- Movies are acceptable. I didn't buy this for movies because with this type of camera you rarely get results as good as a proper video camera. The one movie I shot was clear enough and I was able to zoom while recording. Playback on my PC stuttered a little bit and the audio is slightly tinny.

To summarise,
Good points:
Everything you need in a rugged camera
Picture quality equivalent or better than some non-rugged models
Easy to use
Good looks
Small size
Good battery life
12MP sensor. This is a good choice, not too small, not too large.

Bad points
Joystick control sometimes hits the wrong direction (in my case, down instead of right). It's just finger trouble but I'd have preferred separate buttons.

Very pleased with this purchase. I also chose a case for it, the Kata DP-407 and I can thoroughly recommend that too.

Kata DP-407 DPS Pouch For Compact Cameras - Includes Elements Cover

A small update, now I've been using the camera for a while.
The built-in panorama effect isn't as great as it seems - when viewed on on PC the stitching accuracy is poor. Far better to take multiple overlapping shots yourself and use Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery to do the stitching.
And the 3D shooting mode drives me insane, it keeps refusing to take the second shot.
But otherwise, still positive about this camera. I bought it for occasions that I won't take my SLR. Walking recently I slipped on a wet rock and fell flat on my face - no damage either to me or the camera. I don't think my Sony Alpha would have fared quite so well.

By the way, for those of you complaining about accidentally bumping the buttons, there's a setting in the menu called "> Power On". Disable this, and it'll solve the problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feature packed, good stills, poor video, 23 Aug 2012
This is a good little camera that gives the user the point and shoot option, to capture the action as it happens and the options to have some control when you have more time, though not a huge amount. The video however, is pretty poor and not suited to fast moving action. The TG 620 is a lot of fun and feature packed.
The 12MP CMOS image sensor working in conjunction with the True Pic image processing software, does a great job in low light and really does set the bench mark in this genre of compact camera. The pictures are crisp, the colours vibrant and there is no blurring around the outer edges. It really does help having such features when you have such a small lens and maximum aperture.
The scene modes provide much amusement and I particularly like the fish and and reflections modes. If you take a panorama or use sequential shots, the camera can be very slow to process them, so you may miss out on some of the action.
The on board guide is an excellent feature to help you get the most out of the cameras many functions (just press the "?" button which also can be pressed when the camera is turned off, to give the time and date), as does the icon guide. In fact there are so many features worth mentioning here, that I could go on and on.
Image stabilisation works pretty well when taking stills and is ok in movie mode. Speaking of movie mode,the picture is not bad, its just the focus ( so slow and unsure)!! It also lags a little. I think its fine for underwater stuff where the camera is supported by the water and movement is slower, but for on land sports action, it comes up short.
I would have liked to have seen an inbuilt lens protector and wonder why it is only supplied in the TG 820? They are provided in Olympus cameras of this price, from 2 years ago ( The 6020 and 8010 has them). Is it a ploy for us to damage our lenses and buy more cameras?
I do really like this camera and want to give it 5 stars but it just falls short on the video and lack of a lens protector

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus TG-620 (Not too rugged), 13 Nov 2012
What used to be a very good, basic but sturdy and effective all-terrain camera has been certainly electronically upgraded but the control 'bits' are way too exposed and far too sensitive for anyone with cold or wet hands. Even more frustrating is over-sensitivity of the 'Review' button from which the user can access stored images. Just accidentally touching it when I pick-up the camera turns it on - even when it's in a carry pouch! Not good, at all.

It doesn't feel tough and the casing is very thin: I've got a wee dent just from knocking it whereas my original Miju, now with a knackered battery cover seal (80+ to repair)and a few historic scratches, saw 5 winter climbing seasons, at least 20 canyoneering and gorge walking trips, countless climbs, hundreds of KM's on my bike, family holidays and four years of recording MRT Training. This one won't last and I think the 3 Year Warranty from Amazon is not only good value but will more than pay for itself in 2015....better log-in and buy one, eh?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with purchase, robust, good pictures, 14 Oct 2012
I have become increasingly keen on landscape, weather and plant photography over the last few years. Starting with Fuji, then two Panasonic TZ series cameras which I was happy with but needed something more robust as they soon gave up in wet weather.
The good points are: compactness, robustness in bad conditions, no dust yet inside the lens (unlike the Panasonics), good image quality and consistent results including in lower light. Generally the pictures "sing" a bit more than the nicely detailed but sometimes rather flat/dull Panasonic images which are my main basis for comparison. Niggles: the main operational button with four way plus central control is fiddly, unresponsive and sometimes frustratingly tiresome (not looking good for winter use - a real need for improvement here), loss of zoom because of constrained within the casing (but well worth the compromise for the robust features), images often warm with pinkish or orange tint which need cooling off for natural colours after downloading (but can usually be made to look just fine quite easily). I'm not interested in the video or the 12 funky "magic filters" so no comment from me on those - would rather have something that concentrated on doing the basics really well and therefore less cluttered and easier to use. All in all, still well worth four stars, the poor operation button is the only thing to definitely rob it of the full five.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera!, 4 May 2013
This camera is absolutely fantastic! I love using it and have taken many brilliant pictures if I may say so myself :D having dropped it from different heights several times (a few of them directly onto concrete) it really does seem to be quite indestructible - would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy camera, easy to use, with great results, 15 Sep 2012
H. Petre "hpoet" (UK) - See all my reviews
i've had this camera about a month now, and am well pleased with it. The 'notes' on the back screen are helpful, so although i have printed the manual out, I have hardly looked at it.
As others have said, the auto setting gives good results, and there is no noticeable shutter lag on most settings.
Macro, super macro and super macro with LED are very good quality. The 'scene' mode for landscape shots doesn't seem to give good results, but the scene mode for beach and snow shots delivers well.
There are twelve filter options, and these are fun to play with; my favourites are 'dramatic' and 'miniature'.
Sequential or drive shots work well too, for sport or birds flying!
As others have said, the joystick control is a bit annoying, it is too easy to select the wrong setting.
Lens protection is not supplied: i just try and keep it in the case. I bought the Kapta case [...]
as recommended by the first reviewer, but it is a little bit tight. Maybe another Kapta case would be roomier; this seems to be a good, well made brand.
The charging arrangements are annoying: you can only charge the battery In the camera. It doesn't feel safe to leave it trailing by a USB lead. I ended up buying a spare battery [...] and a plug-in charger of the same brand
[...]
and finally, a gorillapod, which i have not yet used as much as anticipated.
[...]

I have not used it underwater yet, but It has been dropped twice, and is still working! Also shot one short video and this was acceptable quality, though I am no expert.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic camera, 21 May 2012
Just brought this camera and it is fantastic. It takes amazing photos for a tough camera with lots of fun modes to shoot with.
Have not tried it underwater yet, but it has a brilliant dual lock system, so wont come undone by itself underwater.

4.0 out of 5 stars Already been opened!, 7 Jun 2014
Received earlier and it had been opened before I got to it! Not the envelope it'd been sent in but the official Olympus box and it had been almost, but not quite, put back in its box properly. Clearly it had either been sent to and rejected by another buyer or it had been shown to another buyer as if it came from a brick shop! All seems to be in order though and, apart from fingerprints, it is clean and all there.
Takes good pics and a quick movie test seems to take a reasonable video too. Sound is muffled but improved over the Mu 850 SW it replaces.
Feels nice and the menus are similar to the Mu so I haven't yet resorted to the manual and it was simple to set up.

Again it would have been 5 stars but I don't love inanimate objects.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough by name, tough by nature, 10 Mar 2014
We use this camera to take pictures on building sites, so we needed something that could survive muddy wet conditions. So far it is surviving great. Some shots can be a bit fuzzy if you don't take time to focus properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars looks great and is an eye opener, 5 Mar 2014
It as sturdy piece of kit in a striking lime green colour which I bought mainly so that it was an eye opener and there was not much problems when it came to finding where I had left it. It is very durable and has a large view screen and the back - if you were to buy the item I would further cash out for a neoprene case so that the gorilla class lens and view screen is extra protected as though it says that it is made from toughened glass it would be such my luck for me to scratch the open lens.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›