Price:£29.78 - £76.36

on 2 May 2009
CATEYE Strada Wireless Computer

Pound for pound, functionally this is probably the best cycle computer on the market.
However I give it only 4 stars because this is the third one I have bought having lost the previous two of the *#$*? things because of an inadequate catch on the handlebar docking bay. After numerous inserts and removals the tiny plastic catch which holds it in place wears and eventually a jolt from riding over rough ground or potholes causes the computer to free itself and disappear.
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2011
Bought this for my Planet X road bike, and have clocked up 1200 miles (according to the computer) since I got it this year so I now feel well qualified to comment on this.

First, Cateye products are generally superb. This is no exception.

The people looking at this will fall into two camps- those who are after a replacement computer and those thinking- do I really need this? As to the second camp, the answer is a definitive yes. This is not a gimmick - if you intend to get semi serious about getting fit and enjoying your bike, you need to know how far you are going, the time taken and your average speed. In other words you need a cycle computer.

Now for both camps- this is a superb cycle computer and in fact is so popular it has become very common but for good reason. It is rock solid, and extremely accurate.

There are three parts to the computer. The first is a little magnet which attaches to the spokes of the wheel by means of a small hand turned screw. It fits both standard and flat spokes (I have it currently on my Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels).

You then have a sensor which is approximately 2 inches by 2 inches in size. This fits to the REAR of your fork. It has a rubber side which you place against your fork at the same height as the magnet on the spokes, so that when the wheel goes around the magnet passes by the sensor and records a revolution in the wheel.The sensor is affixed by means of some cable ties. If there is a fault, it is that you only get two cable ties (?- they cost nothing!). Luckily if you need more, you can get them from Amazon (you need 2.5mm width by 200mm long standard cable ties).

Next is the computer bit. This has a bracket which on a road bike would normally be affixed to the stem, although it turns 90 degrees so it can be fixed to the handle bar where necessary or on a bike without a long stem.

The computer clicks into the bracket and that is it- it is up and running. You will need to input your wheel size (chart in instructions) if you do not have a standard road bike wheel.

The computer has no buttons on the front and works by depressing the entire computer to switch between modes.

It shows various combinations of trip, speed, total mileage, top speed on last trip and time since set off and current time. It will also show average speed, and usefully at all times has a little arrow pointing up or down indicating whether you are travelling faster or slower than your average- gives you a kick up the backside if you are taking it too easy!

When you stop, i.e. at traffic lights, the time of that current trip stops.

So unless you want candence ( speed pedals are turning) this basically has everything you need in a reliable and highly rated package. A few people I know have one of these and no one has a bad word to say about them so you cannot go wrong.
22 comments|289 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2009
Enjoying Cateye Products, especially their lights, when my Polar packed up I thought I would give the Strada Wireless a go. Why-Oh-Why Cateye such a fragile bracket??? If you commute/tour, and need to remove the computer from its bracket often, be prepared to fork out five pounds every now and then to replace the bracket, or spend time removing the whole mounting instead! The bracket has a small catch, that "clips" the computer into the bracket. This eventually will break, so try your best and don't be rough, or the price of replacement brackets will probably reach the price of a more expensive "Do more" computer with a more solid mounting option. Computer bounces superbly well off concrete, and goes on and on, so why such a shoddy bracket to compliment this reliable little fellow?
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2009
Other people have reviewed this in a far more professional way than I could. I only wanted to know how fast I was going. So I read the reviews and it seemed this was a value for money item. Having fitted it in next to no time it does all that it says on the box and I am pleased with the purchase.
on 16 March 2009
Excellent product - a word of warning though: make sure it is fully 'snapped on' when attaching it. I didn't push hard enough the first time and it came off when cycling. I have bought a replacement and learnt from my mistake...
on 26 July 2011
I bought this online elsewhere as I couldn't get European delivery for this item.

I read the instructions fully before fitting it, which was very simple and not as difficult as some reviews have made it out to be. Of course you have to be careful and decide the position before you tighten the clips etc, but that is a no-brainer really! The only difficulty I had was in setting the clock and not being trigger happy when pressing the buttons, but this is an issue with me, and not the product.

I was very supprised to see actually how small it was. I had a look on the cateye site as I was undecided about this one or the micro version. I decided on this is for some strange reason is weighs less, only 22g. The computer itself is about 1.5 ins x 1 ins and the screen is clear and leggible. There is no light for night time or a thermometer, but there are no claims otherwise in the product description. It comes off easily when needed to, otherwise sits fast and does not come loose when going over tough terrain on my mountain bike.

so far I am very happy with this, but I am not so happy with my now PROVEN slow cycling - lets hope that will improve ... :)
on 20 July 2008
First the obvious question- why pay more for wireless- in my experience they keep on working and the wired ones don't- so pay for the wireless!

This is the cutest, and best computer I have used (and there have been many) it is small, but the speed display is large and clear, the "button free" design is easy to use and the mounting kit is easy to install (you need cable cutters or good scissors, but that is it! and it appears largely interference free (despite carrying a mobile with bluetooth headset and using it, which would flood my previous one and stop it working while i talked). So apparently robust, easy to fit, works well clear and precise (to 0.1 mph) does anyone want more for the price!

Wiggle were good delivery BTW
44 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2012
Instead of giving a proper review, I will keep this brief and focus on the negatives of this product.

1) This product comes with only 2 zip ties which is used to attach your sensor to the fork of your bike. A few spares wouldn't hurt.
2) Using another mechanism to attach the sensor to the fork would be more appreciated to allow easy removal.
3) The lack of additional features including backlight display, stopwatch and monitoring temperature, especially at this price point.

I personally have had no bad experiences with the mounting bracket for the display as mentioned by other reviewers, with that said, I have only had it for just a few days, so it's obvious that I can't make a clear judgement on that until more time is spent using this product.

In terms of how weather proof this product is, that's something I don't know and don't intend to know as I only ride in dry weather.
I have however cycled in 5 degrees celcius, and it still seems to operate fine from what I can tell.

It earns 4 stars for not having the stated features as mentioned above.
on 30 May 2012
As this is my first bike computer I wasn't overly excited about buying this - I was glad that it wasn't going to have fiddly wires everywhere. That was the main selling point for me, and the fact that it was quite good looking.

As soon as I opened the package I was impressed. It looks great and has a good solid feel to it, very easy to use with the single button and relatively simple to set up (as I previously mentioned this is my first computer so I really had no idea what I was doing).

I've taken it out on all my rides so far in various levels of brightness and the display is always clear. The single button makes the Cateye Strada Wireless a user friendly device for less frequent riders, but with enough features (average speed, time, distance etc) to satisfy a more experienced cyclist too.

I know what to get my Dad for Father's day this year!
on 18 August 2012
Good points:
Computer is easy to set up and works well.
Bad points:
THE BRACKET IS RUBBISH.

I was a little wary when other users commented negatively about the clasp.
Three days after fitting mine ended up under a car and useless.
A waste of a decent product due to weak fixing.
As a reasonably experienced cyclist I have used and still use other Cateye products without issue but this is a weak one,
If you ride MTB or other particularly on poorer roads or tracks or need to repeatedly remove the computer for security or reset, look elsewhere the bracket will not stand up to it.