4.0 out of 5 stars It's cold. And it's getting colder...
Here we go again...

Yhis is the second half of the fifth book in the series of fantasy novels 'A Song of Ice and Fire.' Currently being dramatised on tv as 'Game of Thrones' although they're only in the middle of book two at the time of writing.

This is not a good jumping on point, and new readers should start with A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game...
Published on 8 May 2012 by Paul Tapner

3.0 out of 5 stars Plodding at times
Like most reviewers I feel this is all getting too drawn out now and this book left me more frustrated then the others. Maybe I have made a mistake reading all 5 books , one after the other, so am now left with at least a years wait. This book had very little real action - more pieces of the story come into place but some of the chapters really plodded with little to add...
Published 4 months ago by Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars G R R Martin - Legend!, 16 Mar. 2012
I am really disappointed to see so many people putting up negative reviews for this title! It's not George who split that book it was the publishers. Also it was Amazon who sent emails to people stating this was a new book not a re-release of one already published. I understand people's frustrations however it is not fair to rate the book so badly when it actually has nothing to do with the Author, but it is he who is getting bad reviews.
I think people should angle there frustration towards Amazon! Please give these books the ratings they deserve which is 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Ends the Dance of Dragons..., 25 Jun. 2014
Valerie L. Pate (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
So here I am, completely caught up with what Mr. Martin has written about The Game of Thrones so far. I had purposefully put off reading this volume for awhile, in hopes that the next edition would be out before I officially reached the end of the road thus far. All I can do now is add my voice to the throng of fans everywhere and scream, “Hurry up, George! We’re waiting!”

After experiencing a minor pang of disillusion with the last book, I was pleased to feel my great love and interest in this series renewed as I read “After the Feast”. Martin is such a master storyteller. There is an unbelievable amount of stuff transpiring all at once, and yet the story never suffers for it. I feel I know these characters as well as I know members of my family, such is the intimacy that is woven with mere words. Readers can speculate as to the conclusion of this long and wicked game, but Martin often takes the road unfathomable; and leaves us reeling with unexpected shock.

My favorite characters are Tyrion and Daenerys, though numerous others have won my favor and affections. I wait with baited breath to hear of their next moves. I am wholly captivated by these books. I hope I don’t have long to wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not over yet, 26 July 2014
This review is from: A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After The Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Wanted to give this 2.5 stars so I have been very generous to you Mr Martin. If you haven't started reading the game of thrones series yet then my advice is don't start. If like me it is too late, you will be compelled to read until the bitter end; assuming there will be an end at some point. This half tome is well written but deeply unsatisfying. It's gone on too long and there are too many characters that I really don't care about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Review, 8 Oct. 2012
This is a more general overall review of the series rather than a review of book 5 alone.

WARNING: IT MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

when I first got book 1 about 6 months ago I thought it was amazing, detailed and clever. the characters were well written and the story gripping. It had just enough magic / monsters in it to be fantasy, but not so much that it over shadowed the story.

I have just finished book 5.

my first thought is GRRM needs to employ an editor... (or sack one)

the series is well written and engaging for the most part, but so often I found myself reading pages of writing about clothing or food. I also found myself reading about so many characters that you lose a bit of interest in them.

the essence of a great story is in here somewhere and if there was less about the Iron Isles (tedious) less about Dorne (goes nowhere fast) and less about Dany (this section should just be a separate book about her travels) and Arya (this goes on and on...) then the characters and plots of real interest (the Lanisters, the Wall and beyond, the White Walkers, little finger and Stannis)

The story heads in too many directions and with so many names its hard to keep up or interested in what they are going to do, I say going as not much ever gets done to a conclusion, except the death of main characters, but even then they come back from the grave.

ultimately I enjoyed it enough, but on closing the last book I could not help feeling a bit frustrated that this series could have been much better and much slicker. Its bloated beyond need and you get the feeling that its not half as fat as its going to get.... its a cash cow.

I just hope the people at HBO feel as I do and trim this down for series 3 onwards.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Feb. 2014
I've read all of the first seven books but won't be buying any more as I'm getting fed up with the convoluted intrigues of some of the characters (which seem to me to be totally implausible) and the fact that the main characters are being 'bumped off' without rhyme nor reason. I think George R.R. Martin is running out of ideas and thinks killing off the characters you have been following through several books is the easy way out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory ending for an engrossing saga, 2 Mar. 2013
Susan (Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have loved the Game of Thrones saga for the imaginary world it describes but mostly for the characters. That is why I felt very let down by this last book - it is as well written as all the others and if it were not for the fact that, to my mind it finished abruptly, I would have given it 5 stars.

I think Martin has spread his cast of characters too far, especially in this last book - most of the time I was reading about people I had no idea about and who seemed totally irrelevant while only looking forward to hearing what was going to happen to the characters I cared about like Tyrion, Arya, Bran and Jon - I loved the way Jamie's character changed and developed and was delighted by Brienne and the tension between her and Jamie - well they just vanished off the face of the earth without any warning or conclusion whatsoever.

In the end this is a grand romantic journey with fascinating characters which should have a proper resolution especially as we have followed them on such a long and interesting path. So I feel let down and cross at the end of it - it all seems rather quickly dropped like he couldn't be bothered with it anymore. Such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 more years, 3 Feb. 2013
Excellent well paced book, I started reading the books after seeing the TV series and have been hooked since, can't wait for the 2 final books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but don't buy if you already own book 5 in hardcover!!, 17 April 2012
I bought this after an email from Amazon announced the publication of 'George RR Martin's NEW book'. Given that this was titled 'Part 2 - After the feast', I was convinced this was the next chapter. To be fair, the fact that it was paperback, and cheap should have tipped me off!

This isn't, in fact, the next installment, rather the second half of 'Dance with Dragons' which has been split into two for publication in paperback. My disappointment was palpable, and I sincerely hope Mr. Martin gets the next instalment to us ASAP!

In fairness to Amazon, the problem was rectified fairly swiftly and I got my money back.

False advertising aside, the book itself is a good read. Not perhaps the best so far and it does drag a bit in places. George RR Martin has created a huge universe with a plethora of characters, each with their own path. This book feels like an attempt to start to get some of those paths to converge. Somehow the story has to come back together, and you get the sense that this is the start of the process, although it does seem that it isn't going to be easy!

2.0 out of 5 stars series starts well but peters out, 4 Oct. 2012
I loved the first book and the second but after that the series just goes on and on without any development. Finally I put all these big books, and they really are big paperbacks, in a box and gave them to the Mind charity shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars About Time Those Dragons Were Tamed, 18 April 2012
I found Book 4 a little slower than the others in the series, but book 5 exceeded my expectations, especially as others had told me it was not particularly good.

The book is gripping, fast moving and lots happens that develops the story and the lives of the characters we have all grown to know.

There are inevitably a number of story-lines that are left hanging and it leaves me eagarly awaiting the next book in the series, although I do know this may take some time in coming, just like winter!

Cracking book, just read and enjoy.