4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful
This is a good book and I am pleased that I bought it.

I have a background in Eclipse and Java and I was looking for a book that would get me up and running with Android App development. So far this book is helping tremendously. I am currently 15% of the way through the book and already I am getting the hang of Android App development.

The only thing...
Published on 5 Jun. 2012 by amcl

2.0 out of 5 stars Examples use a lot of features depreciated in Android 3
Many examples use methods depreciated in Android 3. The examples still work, and you can turn off the warnings in Eclipse if you want. In some cases the depreciated methods might have been chosen for simplicity, but I don't think this is the case with most. I think at the least the book should mention that "it's not the way to do it now" and at least mention the...
Published on 22 Mar. 2013 by Steve Waring

4.0 out of 5 stars A great beginners book for Android Programming, 19 May 2013
It's a great beginners book for Android Programming. But If you're like me, a season programmer or a software academic, then you'll sometimes need other literature for a deeper description on the subjects. The Language is great and easy to understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Android Programming, 13 Aug. 2013
In my opinion this is a very good introduction to Android Programming. The only criticism, it just covers the Eclipse IDE and not the Android Studio. In all other respects, the best book of its kind I've found so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't give up, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Beginning Android 4 Application Development (Kindle Edition)
I started delving into this book last week. I have been meaning to get into Android for some time, and after years of other C derived languages (C++ and mainly C#) I finally moved onto Java, although I am still very much a novice.

That said, I think that is enough to at least get a grip on things initially. You need to know enough to differentiate between what is a quirk of the Java Language, and what is Android... for example, if you are used to start with a main(), Android doesn't quite work like that, and then there are the "Life-Cycles", which is typically Android, and all explained within the book.

I did find myself bogged down initially. A majority of the examples I was typing in failed to work, yet the downloaded code works fine, even if it appears to be identical. Bear in mind that this book is over a year old, and things move fast in the Android world, so elements of it are slightly out of date.

My personal recommendation, is to look at the beginning of the book, have a read through for a while, perhaps even go away and look at some other small tutorials on the Internet, before coming back and trying again. It tends to fit into a place a little easier after that.

3.0 out of 5 stars kind of bored of computing and playing with raspberry, 8 Jun. 2013
kind of bored of computing and playing with raspberry, not to say i wont do more, just want a book to tell me how to code, not why