on 5 June 2012
This is a good book and I am pleased that I bought it.

I have a background in Eclipse and Java and I was looking for a book that would get me up and running with Android App development. So far this book is helping tremendously. I am currently 15% of the way through the book and already I am getting the hang of Android App development.

The only thing that I am annoyed about is that lots of the code examples in this book have method calls that are deprecated in the latest Android 4.0.x SDK.

This is more a gripe about the Android SDK itself, rather than the way this book has been put together. It obviously took a while to write the book and it is no surprise that the Android SDK now works slightly differently.

If you're looking for a book to teach you Java and get familiar with Eclipse, then I wouldn't recommend this book, as it jumps straight in with how to use Activities and Fragments and many other wonders of the Android SDK. But I would heartily recommend this book if you're wanting to get straight into Android App development and not mess around with what Java is and how you manage an Eclipse project.

Having said that, I've had to do lots of Googling to find out how to re-code lots of the book's examples, so that they work (non-deprecated) in the latest Android SDK, but I am not fussed about that so much, as the book explains the concepts extremely well.
on 22 March 2013
Many examples use methods depreciated in Android 3. The examples still work, and you can turn off the warnings in Eclipse if you want. In some cases the depreciated methods might have been chosen for simplicity, but I don't think this is the case with most. I think at the least the book should mention that "it's not the way to do it now" and at least mention the method or class to use.

Having said that, all the examples I have tried so far work, and if you choose to look up how the coding should be done using your search engine, and then rework the example, it's a good learning exercise.

If it wasn't for the use of depreciated methods, the book is quite good at explaining how Android applications are put together, other than the images of phone screens are very dark and in some cases it is hard to see the detail, for example in figure 3-13 it is impossible to see a check box.
on 29 May 2012
I have been coding with Java for the last couple of years on the desktop but had never target a mobile.

A lot of information available online can be hard to follow or a bit disjointed, this book got me going in no time, so far I have only read the first 2 chapters and the information is complete and easy to follow.

got the "helloWorld" program running in minutes, and most of that was spent waiting for the SDK to download.
on 4 February 2013
Without prior knowledge of the basics in, well, any language you're not going to be able to use this book at this moment in time, a few things are depreciated and the way Eclipse and the android SDK are laid out is different now than when this book was written - That hasn't stopped me powering through it, though.

However like I said, you can't view this as a beginner book anymore as you'll be required to fix various issues that have come up as a result of this book being out of date.

Buy it if you know the basics already and aren't afraid to troubleshoot your way through it.
on 5 January 2013
This is a very useful book which has some good examples that are explained in a step-by-step fashion. However, I suspect that it is not for the complete beginner and that some prior programming experience will be necessary to understand fully how the examples work. That said, as someone that had no prior knowledge of Android (and only a little previous experience with Java) it has allowed me to create the app I wanted so I'm happy.
on 6 December 2012
This book is ok but the books needs updating for the latest os, currently we're on 4.2 so this book is two versions out of date, and even on 4.0 some of the code needs updating. Having to pay full price for and old book isn't fair on customers
on 27 February 2014
This is a perfect example of how to write an introductory technical book. The content is well paced and broken into easily understood sections. Examples are concise and meaningful. The use of colour really helps to show the code structure without appearing flashy.

Each new topic begins with a brief introduction that is followed by a working example that can be run on your device. Only then is the code dissected and its operation described in clear and straightforward terms.

The only negative point is the section on location based services, which is no longer useable now that the V1 Google Maps API has been retired. Wrox certainly needs to produce a second edition of this excellent title.
on 21 May 2012
I'm a C# programmer but totally new to Java and New to Mobile Development.
This Book was simple and easy to use and follow.
Step by Step guide.
Had my first Hello World App in no time.
Brilliant!!
on 19 November 2015
This trully one of the best Android for beginners books out there. Book focuses on explaining mainly Android specific methods and functions so if you are not very strong with Java, then you might struggle a bit.

Perfect book with loads and loads of functional examples and exercises. A MUST BUY for any Android developer, even in 2015 and Android 5.0
on 5 December 2013
The code examples contained in the book are written in an over packed and highly amateur way. It uses results of previous function calls to continue to work upon.
Developing on this way would lead you to, later, not being able to pinpoint the origin of code failures.
Evolution of contents is none the less faily acceptable.