on 21 February 2012
This is easily my favourite parody i have read on the fellowship of the ring. The names places and even the background have been thought through with great detail to create a comical world. It helps if you know of Tolkien's other works to get the most out of the jokes as i am sure i have missed many yet still my sides ache from the laughter. At this price and if you are a true fan of the books - this is worth a try. Hope you enjoy it as much as i did. Looking forward to the follow on!!! :D
on 21 February 2012
Monty Pythons meet Carry On, the wordplay and double entendre are amazing, the puns come thick and fast, I laughed all the way through. If you have read Bored of the Rings, then you should read this, because this is the modern version. Having read most of Tolkien's works I recognised the depth of that knowledge required to write this, the author must know a great deal about what he has done this parody on, which I suppose must make him a huge fan of the originals. I wait eagerly for the next book, for laughter is scarce in our world.
on 2 March 2012
I was lucky enough to meet and talk with Mark many times in the very early, formative stages of this work. His knowledge, understanding and love of Tolkien's work and world shine through in the man and in this, soon to be, trilogy of 4 (or something).
This isn't a book of poorly thought out, derogative name changes. It has genuine original humour with very clever references to the masterpiece.
If you only ever read one book in your life, then read Lord of the Rings. If you are going to read two...buy this. Seriously.
on 25 August 2014
It may appeal to some but I'm afraid that it really didn't to me!!
on 10 August 2013
2 words to everyone-buy it. This is the best makeover book I have ever read!! It is unmatched in quality, superbly funny and a all round fantastic book.
My son enjoyed this book, he himself eager to give his comments on this story.
on 12 June 2015
I felt like a proper nerd guffawing at this, but it's so cleverly done and it's obvious the author knows (and loves) the Tolkien version.
on 7 September 2012
first time reading this author and ive never read anything so funny in all my life , a must read for all tolkien fans !!!
on 26 February 2015
Rather a pathetic attempt to satirise the great book. The Harvard Lampoon original, Bored of the Rings, did it so much better, even if written with an American twist.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse