5.0 out of 5 stars A new and different Flashman
An excellent novel which follows the Flashman tradition but with its own identity.
Flashman "anoraks" are missing the point that Thomas Flashman shares his nephews flair for adventure and his ability to find trouble but is a unique person in his own right.
Published 5 months ago by James Shepherdson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Flashman
Published 3 months ago by trentbridge

5.0 out of 5 stars A new and different Flashman, 7 Mar 2014
James Shepherdson "darlokid" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
Put aside your preconceptions about what this Flashman novel should be and see it for what it is, a ripping yarn that's a damn fine read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death to the French!, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
A nice surprise! Having been a big fan of the originals, indeed I remember being asked to leave a WH Smith's in London in about 1973 for reading the first book in the store instead of buying it, I was reluctant to read a book which I though would just be hanging on GMD's coattails. Well, no, actually, this is a splendid and well researched book, and Thomas Flashman is his own man. I spent hours at Harper's Ferry years ago trying to work out how Flashman would have seen the town just before the American Civil War: well, this latest Flashman could inspire the same sort of devotion. Cannot wait to start the next! Well done that man.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Flashman, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
This novel takes its inspiration from the Flashman series, but for all the writer's efforts to copy the style of George MacDonald Fraser, he merely shows us the gulf in quality between himself and the original. The writing has pace, but his characters lack depth. We never become involved with the adventure because we really don't care about the characters. I shan't be reading any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Adventure, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
My wife saw this book advertised on Book Bub and drew it to my attention as something I would like. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the humour, the action, and the historic details. It was so good I could not put it down because I wanted to know what was happening next and I finished it in a day. This author's other book will be heading for my Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
I love the original Flashman series by GMF - this is a well planned, enjoyable extension of the dynasty. I look forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Flashman mantle taken up, 11 Oct 2013
Loved this book.
I regularly had to look with astonishment at the chapter notes to check that the events the fictional character Flashman is witnessing really did happen.
A do not miss book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flashman Mark 2?, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
Having read GMD's Flashman series more than once over the years I was pleased to see this version appear. If you haven't read GMD make it a must. They are brilliant. It was therefore with a bit of trepidation that I read this. I needn't have worried! Whilst this is not the Harry Flashman we know and love (warts and all)the author does justice to to GMD and the book flows smoothly from one plot to another. It is very entertaining and the highest compliment I can pay it is it can stand alone on its own merit for anyone unaware of the originals. Thomas Flashman is his own man and has quickly moved out of the shadow of his notorious nephew. It is a wonderful first effort, with great attention to detail, some nods to GMD, and some exciting battle scenes. This is the first of the series and I hope the author will write many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent yarn from Napoleonic times., 27 July 2014
Christopher Canning (Weston-super-Mare, N'Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
This book excelled in referring to actual events and outcomes. It made it all the more interesting to read. I loo forward to the next tale in the life of Flashman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but watered down Flashman., 9 May 2013
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
This is a well written and researched book, using the same template of GMF in having his character meeting real life people e.g. Thomas Cocharane and taking part in actual events such as a duel on Malta. This in itself requires skill and a deft touch and this book is a promising start. Set during the Napoleonic wars this book and subsequent ones in this series have a rich vein of history and historical characters to play with. No doubt he'll meet Nelson and Wellington in future books. This particular Flashman is supposedly a forebear of GMF's Harry Flashman, but he's not as much of a coward, bully or poltroon. This watered down Flashman therefore disappoints on that score. As result of political correctness he doesn't treat the natives with as much invective e.g the N word is never used and there's not enough sex. A modern alternative I've found is Distant Annihilation: A Great Game Thriller. Most of "Flashman and the Seawolf" is set on ships. There are enough nautical references to give you a feeling of authenticity, without overwhelming the reader with too many sailing terms. The battle scenes are well described and on the whole it's an excellent read and a good page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new bounder on the block?, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Flashman and the Seawolf (Kindle Edition)
First - let me say I approached this book with some trepidation. I am a huge fan of the original Flashman series and wondered who on earth had the temerity to try to follow GMFs series.
Reat assured - if you liked the original Flashman - you'll like this!
The writing is not as assured or as witty as GMF - but it is the first (hopefully) of a series and we'll see the characters and the style develop.
I can't wait for the next in the series.
Finally - if you happen to read this - and you have not read the original Flashman books - can I say that I envy you - a truly great treat awaits you. Read them - you really must!

Flashman and the Seawolf