• COWS!

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.10

on 22 February 2012
I've read things you people wouldn't believe. I've seen attack bats disappear off the Bottomless Pit of Nifnook. I've watched strange shapes glitter in the darkness down there. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain, when the COWS eventually get me...

Of course I could be getting various stories completely confused, but what I can tell you, is COWS! makes for a damn good and somewhat(understatement!) amusing read. Kids love it, and adults will find themselves chuckling along as well. So if you don't have too many bovine phobias (though you will afterwards), buy yourself a copy of COWS! and get reading. At the very least, it might help you survive when the day comes...
on 13 February 2012
Recently bought this book on a recommendation from a friend and laughed the whole way through, I'll definitely never look at a cow the same way again!

Or a sheep for that matter.
on 16 February 2012
Enjoyed reading this book and can't wait to read it again with the children, think they will enjoy it as much as me.

Well done!!
on 4 April 2012
Loved this book! Was up 'til at least one in the morning finishing it off ... definately a page turner which leaves you begging for mooooooore. Wittily written, with engaging and unusual characters (particularly liked Farmer Ken and Mrs Farmer Ken!) Would be fun for a parent to read to a younger child (6-10 year old) and great for more confident readers to tackle themselves. Hoping to push my 12 year old son's head into the rich literary manure shortly but he has an aversion to anything with words in it! I would udderly recommend it.
on 29 August 2012
I must sound like a broken record, I am always going on and on about how important it is to read the most fascinating, the most extraordinary, the most imaginative books out there, to your little ones. I have a strange fear that someday we will no longer have books, (Thanks to Rod Serling and his creepy Twilight Zones;) and I get worried that soon there will be a shortage of people who can even use their imaginations anymore. I think that's why when a book like this comes along, i get slightly hysterical when I try to tell friends and people online, just how amazing of a book it really is!
I don't even know where to begin with this book! I must say that Martin's writing style is very, very rare and unique and reminded me a tiny bit of Roland Dahl (one of my all time favorites!) In the way the story was written, and how colorful it was and how without pictures, the characters, and well, of course the cows, came to life before your eyes!
My 3 youngest children's ages are: 2,5, and 9, and they all enjoyed this book and giggled and giggled the entire way through.
Again, without illustrations, especially for the 2 youngest, the adjectives and descriptions and personality that came from the pages, already painted vivid pictures for them so much that they even remember the way Jimmy and his sheepdog looked, and of course the crazy cows who are planning to take over the world!
I especially thought it was a nice touch to add the witty, little narrations throughout the book from the author. Not only was this terribly clever, and funny, but it added the author's own personality to his ever so hilarious and fascinating book!
We recommend this to anybody who has an imagination, young and old, and even more so if you are still a child at heart!

** We received a copy of this book in return for our honest review **
on 17 August 2012
I really, really, really enjoyed this book. It was so charming, adorable, and fun. I thoroughly giggled throughout the book, as did my daughter when I read it to her. The book was extremely well written and kept me interested and involved. The story was unlike anything I have ever read. Very original. I also love animals. So this book was so fun for me. As I have often times found myself wondering what it is that cows might think about all day long. My daughter loved the robin character. She thought he was so brave for being so small. It was also quite charming and cute how dim witted the human hero was at first glance. The loyalty between the dog and human was also something I and many other can relate to being a former dog owner myself. I am now a proud owner of 2 cats, so the feline character of the story was very amusing to me.
I loved the plot of the story. My daughter thought it was brilliant. I urge everyone to read this book. It was so very original. You will not be disappointed. Trust me. It was a great read. Very entertaining. This book is recommended for everyone over the age of 8, as the whole 'cows try to take over the world' could frighten younger children. My daughter is 7 and she thought it was hysterical.
on 24 July 2012
The cows are coming! They plan to take over the world, but they are starting with Golthwaite, a little village in Yorkshire. Luckily for all of us, a singlebrave lactose-intolerant human is clever enough to take them on, with his faithful dog Flossy, and his unsurpassed affinity with all animals. "A rare one of his kind only comes along once in a century" (quote from a sheep)
This is a funny warm satirical story from an original new voice. Martin Rothery brings his quirky humour, observational comedy and great story-telling powers to the telling of a bovine tale that will appeal to children and adults alike ... teenagers, even. Definitely a writer to watch!
on 19 March 2012
A fantastic story. The product of a fertile mind. I was recommended to this book by a friend and could not put it down until I had finished it. It is an excellent read for both adults and children.
on 4 May 2012
In Martin Rothery's crazy world, telepathic cows are plotting to take over, starting, of course, with a small village in Yorkshire. All that stands in their way is a gormless kid and his brainy dog, with a bit of help from some sheep and a robin.

The plot and characters should appeal to children, but the lumbering paramilitary activities of the cows and the antics of their hapless human stooges provide plenty of laughs for adults as well. I enjoyed it a lot.

Warning: lovers of dairy products may find this book disturbing.
After reading this hilarious and quirky tale of bovine malice, I found myself eyeballing the herd of cows that hangs out in the small forested area along the road on my way to Dixon this afternoon. Placid, cud-chewing beasts or vindictive devils bent on world domination?? Cows! is a quick and amusing read, and appropriate for anyone ages 8+.