5.0 out of 5 stars Bass Lovers THIS IS THE ONE
Yepp, perfect.

I bought mine from PC World, but they're exactly the same headphones, but you get them a bit cheaper here.

When I first bought them I was a bit apprehensive about the style and size, so being greedy me I bought some super stylish Panasonic ones in cream, very pretty; did I regret it? YES

These Phillips headphones are far...
Published on 23 Jan. 2013 by J.B

3.0 out of 5 stars Aesthetics ruins this pair of headphones
I had been looking for a pair of headphones for a while that were affordable. I settled on these because the reviews were good in terms of the sound quality. I received them before the estimated delivery date which was nice.

Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by drucom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Aesthetics ruins this pair of headphones, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Philips SHL5205BK/10 CitiScape Shibuya Headband Headphone - Black (Accessory)

Pros: The flat cable is such a good idea, the cable never tangles up which is about as much as I could ask from a headphone cable. There is also a volume control on the cable, but it is too high up for my liking.

Sound quality is also good for the price.

Cons: Huge! Absolutely massively wide! The material from which the support is made of seems to be on the cheap side, it almost looks like it was cut using an X-acto knife or something like that.

Aesthetics really bring down this pair of headphones. I am giving them as a present to my brother, maybe they won't look ridiculous on him since his head and face are thinner than mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bass Lovers THIS IS THE ONE, 23 Jan. 2013
Yepp, perfect.

These Phillips headphones are far superior to any other ones I've tried, once you put them on and the music comes on, that's it, you're lost in a world of deep treble and base, it's literally perfect. And from looking at them on you can tell that these are technically amazing, maybe not fashion forward, but they look sick, they sound sick, they're just it.

4.0 out of 5 stars These are surprisingly good cans!, 26 Nov. 2012
For the price you are paying, this headphone can deliver! My go-to headphone is the AKG K490 NC, and I know that they are pretty good in terms of the clarity, mids and a slight boost on the low end which is what I fancy. However, the Philips cans are actually more bassy, but not too overpowering. In fact on certain tracks (Purity Ring - Amenamy @ 320kpbs mp3), the highs weren't too piercing, which makes it easy on the ears. Also via the same song, I realised that this headphone also have got a very nice soundstage too!

Honestly there is nothing wrong with these for the price you are paying. However, these headphones do leak substantially, which is a pity.

Hope you like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to the 'premium' headphones, 12 Nov. 2012
H. Lau (London) - See all my reviews
I tried the garish blue model in a popular high street store while trying out low priced cans and was surprised by how good they sounded (using a Sansa Clip with Rockbox). I was much happier that there was a black model available in store as the bright blue pair just looked hideous. I paid about £28 in store for these before I checked on Amazon.

Comfort
These phones sit lightly on your head and the foam lined headband looks cheap, but also spreads the load on your head very nicely so it's barely noticeable.
On the earcups are soft leather pads which offer a good amount of sound isolation as they fit snugly on your head (moreso if your head is as big as mine). The earcups have a good range of motion so they should be able to find a good fit on a variety of head shapes and sizes.
After a long period of wear, particularly with glasses, I experienced some minor discomfort and sweat, but with this style of headphones it's inevitable. I would definitely say it's very minor and with the sound quality you get from these, you'll quicky forgive them.

Sound
Isolation is very good with these. There is still some sound leakage to the outside if you crank them up, but it's slight compared to the volume being channeled into your skull, and it's not as offensive as the standard iPhone/iPod earbuds. On the Tube, you'll still hear some of the track noise, but you'll easily block out conversations, the aforementioned white earbuds and crying babies if they're not right next to you.
The bass is pleasingly deep and the trebles are clear. I don't really own a lot of music that tests the mids, but songs have been clear and I've picked up on nuances that I simply haven't heard on my Sennheiser in ear headphones (which cost over twice as much). I've owned a lot of over ear and in ear headphones and these easily ranks amongst the best sounding (especially considering the junk you can get for a similar or vastly higher price).
A neat trick I found with the these headphones is that they can cope really well with ridiculous input volumes. For example, the Sansa Clip with Rockbox has its volume limiter turned off so I can get the volume loud enough that the headphones rumble and thump my head, without going tinny, crackling or distorting in any audible way. Very fun, but not recommended if you treasure the gift of hearing.

Build quality
Aside from the admittedly cheap feeling foam inner headband lining, the connections at the earphones, the inline mic and headphone jack look and feel good quality. The flat cabling helps to resist tangles too, which is good as I haven't found a neat way of coiling up the cable when stowing it away yet!

Value
I looked at a lot of £50-£80 headphones before I chose these and at the £20 something mark, I think they're a very good buy. At their original RRP, they seem a little less good value, but would still be worth considering if you didn't fancy the more common choices in this price range.
If Philips tried advertising these headphones when they were released they might be a little more popular, but alas, anyone looking in the cheap headphones bracket (£20-£30) will more likely end up with actual cheap headphones, rather than these. Such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 21 Aug. 2013
Its been years since I owned a pair of headphones, but I got tried of buying cheap earphones that either break really easily or sounds tinny. When traveling on public transport I had to put the volume up to the max to drown out the surrounding noise, but that didn't achieve anything. So I took the decision to get some headphones. After searching for noise cancelling headphones, it was really difficult to find any decent ones for under a £100. I narrowed it down to 2 other pairs of headphones (Sony and 2 Philips). However, I kept coming back to this one mainly because of the price, but also after reading the reviews it was exactly what I was looking for. Affordable headphones that provided great sound with noise cancellation, yet still looked as stylist as others at £100+.

As soon as I put them on (without sound) I could immediately tell the difference from earphones, general chatter became muffled. I then tried plugging them into my ipod while sat next to the TV. I can happily say I couldn't hear anything apart from my ipod! I'm no dj, but for what I want (listening to music/films on the train and car) the sound quality is great. There doesn't seem to be any sound leaks either which you usually find in cheaper headphones.

Another thing I was worried about was how comfortable they were going to be. As some headphones can start to feel uncomfortable after long use. But they are surprisingly really comfortable on my ears. There is a foam strap under the band so it sits nicely on your head. The added bonus of a flat cable is a great idea, as it won't get tangled up.

I would definitely recommend these to anyone. Fantastic value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could ask for, 4 Jun. 2014
I'm really pleased with my purchase of these headphones. These are great for people with a tighter budget, but who still want to listen to music with a high-quality pair of headphones. The design is pretty sweet as well with a comfy headrest and a stylish feel to the pair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love!, 10 May 2014
Other reviews stated that they snapped easily, so I've been extra careful. The material on the inside came off straight away. Nothing a little fabric glue won't fix though. Sound is great and love the fact that I can use them as a hands free when connected to my phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, 10 Nov. 2013
For the price you pay they have a good sound.
Are a bit big, but i really don't care.
The flat cable is a good idea, it never tangles up.
The only downside is the sponge that goes on your head. The fabric covering it detaches very easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the bass lovers, 11 Feb. 2014
These headphones are really good, but you have to bear in mind that they have extra bass. Due to this, I can hear that the higher pitch loses some quality, but I wanted the headphones that can provide a lot of bass so I'm really happy with these ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars For £20, these headphones are underpriced for sure., 17 July 2014
I bought these as budget headphones replacing my £96 ones. They topped them in everything but comfort. The sound on these things is so great, so clear and the bass is really good too. sound leakage is negligible, and honestly can't hear anything from the outside if I turn these babies on even medium volume. The wire seems sturdy so far and I don't think I am going to have any issues with it.

My only problem with these headphones was that they hurt my ears if i put them on too long, and after maybe 4-5 days of enduring some small pain on my ears when I had the headphones on, my ears got used to them and the pain went away.

My only unhappiness with these headphones is that they don't have volume buttons :(

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›