on 10 March 2003
What a gem of an album this is!!! Disc one has all the ballads and the second disc contains the dance tracks. "Jesus To a Child" is just beautiful and sung with such emotion. "A Different Corner" is my personal favourite and it moves me every time I hear it. "You Have Been Loved", "Kissing a Fool" and "One More Try" are classic ballads which are all simply superb. "Cowboys And Angels" is fabulous and George's cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me" is just wonderful. The dance tracks are equally as good. "Fastlove", "Outside" and "Spinning The Wheel" are just great 'feel good' tracks. "Somebody To Love" recorded live with Queen is the highlight of the second disc, George really gives this song something, turn this track up loud to get the full effect!! Of course there are so many other classic songs on this album...."Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" with Elton John, "Faith" and "Careless Whisper"... the list is endless!! It has something on it for everybody so buy it and see for yourself. It is a classic, timeless album that demonstrates excellent songwriting skills, the sheer talent and the versatility of the man that is George Michael.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 1999
I would never have bought this CD myself as I am not a big George Michael fan but I was really surprised when I listened to it after someone bought it for me as a present. It really is a great CD to listen to and I play it often. It is mainly split into two sections: the more serious, slow, moving songs like Jesus To A Child and Careless Whisper then the more funky stuff like Faith, Freedon and Outside. There are two tracks on this CD that are my absolute favourites which are Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me recorded with Elton John and Somebody To Love recorded with Queen. There also many others which are just as enjoyable. All-in-all a really great CD.
on 8 June 2000
Its been over 20 years since George Michael burst onto the scene with the ultra succesful pop duo Wham! George's silky smooth voice and unrivalled songwriting seperated Wham from the rest of the brit pop groups of the early eighties. When Wham! broke up in 1986 few would have guessed how succesful Michaels breakthrough solo album would have been. Faith sold over 10 million copies world wide. Its mixture or r&b rhythms and heart felt ballads struck a chord with fans all over the world. It even managed to top the charts in America- the most competitive and prestigious music chart in the world. So George had become perhaps the worlds biggest pop star. But something was missing- respect. His follow up album Listen Without Prejudice was a declararion of his superior songwriting abilities and flawless voice. George Michael had made a conscious decision to distance himself from the superficial side of the music world. He longed for respect and for people to appreciate just how talented he really is. With Ladies and Gentlemen, he manages to fulfill his ambition. The double c.d contains some of the best pop songs of the last twenty years.Yet to simply call George Michael a pop star does not do him justice. His voice is the best in the industry today and his songwriting skills transcend the confines of the pop market. the ballads on the first disc are timeless classics which once heard are never forgotten. The second disc is packed with flawless pop songs which vibrate with raw energy. I recomend everyone to buy this album. It is without a doubt the greatest album of the nineties.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 July 2015
When musical duo Wham, those good-looking boys who were famed for their cheesy but loveable '80s pop songs first exploded onto the scene, who could have predicted that one of the artists would go onto make some of the best soulful pop music Britain has to offer? He did though, and his name is George Michael, who might be fairly infamous for his several 'unsavoury' antics, but it's the talent that should be first and foremost be the focus in peoples' minds, and this man has that in abundance.

This excellent two-disc collection from 1998 is separated into one halves, with music specially selected to suit the disc's theme and mood.

On the first CD you have 'For the Heart', a collection of George's best-ballads, including the early, international hit 'Careless Whisper' (released whilst he was with Wham), his bittersweet cover of the lovely 'I Can't Make You Love Me', which was originally a smash for Bonnie Raitt, the beautiful 'Jesus to a Child', and his collaboration with Elton John on 'Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me'.

The second CD is titled 'For the Feet', and contains the best of his upbeat, energetic dancey tunes, including 'Faith', 'Fastlove', 'I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)', which was the hit duet with queen of soul music Aretha Franklin, and ends with a live performance of 'Somebody to Love', recorded with those rock gods Queen.

Buy this excellent set, listen to 'Ladies and Gentlemen', and discover the versatility of the great George Michael.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2009
George has the remarkable ability to capture and entwine the essence of each track, with his dexterous touch of Genius. Powerful emotions can evolve from the tender nuances of expression for treating each number with an individual approach. I never tire of listening to this accomplished and stylish artiste who, in one breath, can pull at the heartstrings and fill the senses, possibly even with a nursery rhyme! My favourite track 'JESUS TO A CHILD is heartbreakingly memorable for opening the floodgates! Compelling album - never out of my car CD player.
on 10 November 2012
Great cd as it contains a large varied selection of hits.
One cd is the much slower tracks and ballads and the other more faster like fastlove and outside.
All in all an impressive cd for music and value.
on 14 August 2011
Nearly a complete record of his finest works. Although unable to master his inner demons, there has never been much wrong with his music.

Some of these tracks are absolute class. Could anybody of sung 'Jesus to a child' better, I doubt it. The same can be said of 'Fast love', and of course there is the little matter of 'Careless Whisper'. These tracks are just for starters.

Even if you are not a fan, at worst, the album is pretty wonderful back ground music. So there you have it.
on 22 May 2005
As a 21-year old, I was only a wee nipper when Wham captured the media's attention as the baffling duo of one uniquely talented singer/songwriter and one philander who courted the public's disdain for his drunken mishaps. I wasn't impacted in any way by "Faith", "Listen without Prejudice" or indeed "Older", perhaps because I myself wasn't old enough. However, a few years ago, when I did start to appreciate music and became an avid musician myself, I was given "Ladies and Gentlemen" as a gift. I don't wish to resort to hyperbole but this was a truly transformational moment for me - I was introduced to a musician who was to become, by some distance, my favourite artist of all time.
Ladies and Gentleman is a handsome collection of George Michael's best work. It is at once buoyant, smooth, dark, poignant and occasionally poppy. Disc 1 contains the most beautiful tracks I have ever heard. Whilst "Careless Whisper" is most often cited by people as their favourite GM song, there are four other compositions on this disc that are, in my humble opinion, equal if not better songs: the smooth, jazzy "Cowboys and Angels"; the wonderfully simple yet beautifully sung "Different Corner"; the paradoxically upbeat yet dark "Praying for Time"; and the heart-wrenchingly melancholic "Jesus to a Child".
GM then manages effortlessly to transfer the listener from the emotionally moving songs of disc 1 to catchy, feet-moving and expertly produced fare on Disc 2. "Outside" is based on GM's public indiscretion, but despite the subject it is a great pop song. "As" is a beautifully sung reprisal of the Stevie Wonder classic; "Fastlove" is a phenomenally catchy song that I'm sure provided the basis for the "Men in Black" hit theme tune. "I Knew You Were Waiting" is a fast-moving duet with Arethra Franklin that brilliantly captures the sensational voices of both artists; and then there is "Faith", which alongside Careless Whisper is probably GM's best known work.
There are some omissions in this collection - in particular that of "Everything She Wants", my favourite Wham song - but then an irrefutable consensus on GM's best 30 songs was never going to be easy, given his huge fan base worldwide.
Now that GM is no longer in the public eye, I genuinely hope that other people, people younger than myself, will take a chance and buy this album. They will be handsomely rewarded.
on 17 February 2000
When I went to HK last week, and my boyfriend was playing this CD in the car..I was not a big fan of him or Wham. I just liked. But came back to Japan, and I bought this CD by myself...I don't know how many times I listened to his CD. Especially to the heart... Then I became to be a big fan of him. PS sorry, my English is terrible.
on 20 July 2011
An all time Classic by George Michael the music and lyrics show him at his Best.

I'm not a fan of is excentric behavoir and antics out side of the Pop World, but his talented vocals speak for themselves.

This Album made him a massive star World Wide. 09/10