5.0 out of 5 stars Bad is the new good.
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by Bigbadtiberius

3.0 out of 5 stars What each evil villain needs...a handbook
Conceptually it is a superb idea.
I mean it is only natural that Dark Lords, who intend to take over the world with their minions, would need a basic step by step manual to do so.
The author has quite the flair for irony and a witty repertoire. Quite a few times I found myself shaking my hand and grinning.
However I do think it could have so much more...
Published on 11 Aug 2012 by Cheryl M-M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad is the new good., 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
I must admit that i was doubtful upon reading this as to whether or not it would be my cup of tea, the title alone was enough to poke my interest. I am not what one would call a big fan of fantasy literature, personally i think Tolkien could have done with slimming his volumes down by a mear 500 pages or so. I am however a big fan of excellent writing and this is excellent writing. The characters take full advantage of being written by a writer who allows them space to come truely alive in a world where the fantasy genre finally makes sense, a surreal edge to modern dilemmas rather than pompous wizards and albinos riding dragons. This is not a parody or a spoof but a loving homage to something i imagine is very close to Mr Dale's heart. It made me laugh out loud and i found it hard to put down and the character of Morden is one that will last; part Holden Caulfield and part Alex from A Clockwork Orange but with literal demonic powers. I feel better for having read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hand book of laughs, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
Paul Dale takes us into a world where the Dark Lord has not even risen yet, not only that, but he still has to learn how to rise... then there is the small matter of what to wear, and whether he should simply pillage, or burn a city. This very funny book brings the angst of becoming a Dark Lord to the fore. Morden is a wholy believable character, and his orcs are wonderfully created.
A most exciting book from a very promising author. More please.

3.0 out of 5 stars What each evil villain needs...a handbook, 11 Aug 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
Conceptually it is a superb idea.
However I do think it could have so much more.
The story often slips in and out of banal storyline and then whips back into a great comedic dryness. This roller coaster is what made it less than what I think could have been a brilliantly funny and satirical book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first book - can't wait for more!, 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
Great book! Felt like a Pratchett's and Gaiman joint effort. Lots of fun and some good punns at the fantasy genres expense. However, fantasy fans will love it for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
My only criticism is that he hasn't finished the next book yet! I want more please!
A great well rounded story with everything thrown in - fantasy - humour - love, and a
good cleverly woven plot to boot.
Forget the cycling Mr Dale, and get down to business . . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars We all know how these stories usually end, 29 Dec 2013
D. E. Rainger (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
And that is, just as the evil Dark Lord is about to step onto the winners podium, (and that includes the one who had a 'thing' about rings) along comes the Hero, who always manages to find that million to one target area and pulls off the shot that undoes tens, if not hundreds, of years of hard work.

However, now it's Morden's turn. Young, hormonal and Master of the brooding look; and he has a handbook in his possession to help him. Unlike most, if not all of his predecessors, he is taking his time to not only read it, but to also take on-board what it is telling him.

A Well written and witty first novel. Think Despicable Me meets Discworld. However don't see this story as yet another Discworld wannabe, it's far from it. It can be hard to differentiate to start with, as Paul Dale's writing style is not that different from Terry Pratchett's. Also, if you know your Discworld lore, you will see a number of nods of acknowledgment/respect towards Pratchett's works. But, you soon stop half expecting to see Discworld characters turning up, as the world created for Morden to rule asserts itself.

I have not given this 5 stars, as there is some work still needed to be done by the author. In regards to tighten up on his writing style and prose. But all in all a damned good read which has left me waiting for another from him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, if not what I expected, 7 Dec 2013
B. Yardley (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
I had expected a (tongue-in-cheek) handbook on how to be a Dark Lord whereas, other than the odd 'excerpt', this is actually a straight comedy-fantasy novel. Overall, I found it very entertaining but some of the running jokes ran on a little too long (gourmet food kept coming up again and again for example) and the end was a little convoluted and left me unsatisfied, hence 4 stars rather than 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
Possibly the best fantasy book that I have read for years, Paul Dale is right up there with Terry Goodkind and tolkien. It grabs you right from the start and doesn't let you go until the very last word.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive debut. A proper funny page-turner, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a hard-core fantasy addict - it took me ages to get through Lord of the Rings, I've read less than half of Pratchett's stuff and I struggled through a couple of Robert Rankin's - but I did enjoy reading this. The characters develop well, the narrative runs along at a good pace and the humour is intelligent rather than resorting to silliness or time travelling sprouts (looking at you, Mr Rankin). Orcs also feature a lot here, in a good way.

The "handbook" concept is good and is what drives the story even through you think there's a certain inevitability to it. The plot twists kick in at just the right times and make sense. There's plenty of scope for further sequels and elaborating on the characters and world developed in this first book.

I hope this becomes a popular debut and Mr Dale furnishes us with a sequel or two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb idea and great fun!, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dark Lord's Handbook (Kindle Edition)
Was recommended this by a friend, being a huge Pratchett fan, and I must say I am very impressed.

The characters are funny, well realised and written, and develop nicely as the books draws you in.
The core plot is obviously fairly predictable, but that's the whole point really, and it even makes fun of the fact. There are some interesting little side slots going on with the Chancellor and co too...

I always suspected there was a handbook used by the dark powers in the world, and this is the proof!
I thoroughly recommend it to all budding Dark Lords, and await the continuation of the series eagerly!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›