on 29 June 2007
When my son was 6 months old, he was still waking up 3-4 times a night. Every time I put him back to bed, I couldn't get back to sleep myself, knowing that he was going to wake up again anyway...I couldn't think straight, I was so knackered. My health visitor couldn't help, my GP told me it was normal and I was beginning to feel really low.

One day a lady in the park recommended reading this book. I thought, why not, I have nothing to lose. Well, it was an eye-opening experience! After reading it - it made loads of sense - I went out and bought the Contented Little Baby Book too (I was warned off that book by loads of people, so I never touched it before 2 months ago!). That weekend I started putting him on the routines and used the advice from the sleep book and guess what? After a few nights, HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! I could hardly believe it the first night, but then it just continued. I feel so stupid for listening to all the negative comments about Gina Ford books, instead of reading them myself and making my own mind up. My darling baby boy is 10 months old now and he is an outrageously happy kid! We are seriously considering having some more children now...

If you are a new mum, struggling to cope with lack of sleep or simply someone who wants to understand their baby more, then I hugely recommend you to buy this no-nonsense sensible book. It is simply fantastic!
33 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2007
Really useful book for tackling any common sleep problems in little babies and older toddlers and it has good suggestions for helping to solve them. I'd say its useful to have an idea of Gina Ford's routines suggested in her New Contented Baby Book while reading it but it is good as a stand alone book too.
on 5 May 2009
Thank god I purchased this book.

We have had some issues with our son sleeping through the night and this book has helped us tremendously. Also it gives you great information on sleep and sleep patterns and also some fantastic case studies to help you relate to your own issues.
on 14 May 2012
I bought this book because my toddler had just started waking up after almost 2 years of being a perfect sleeper (we were getting 12 hours night from early on thanks to Gina's Contented Little Baby book). There was no magic answer in these pages but many helpful tips and case studies.
on 4 January 2013
Arguments about Gina's routine's aside, if you have decided you want a routine then this book will help you get it. BUT, I take what I like about the book and common sense/instinct does the rest.
on 9 December 2013
Love this book it has helped me get my little one into a routine by understanding what was happening at different points in the day and how best to cope with them to make all our lives easier.
on 6 July 2012
The book is good for any mum, new or experianced. Really helpful tips and other peoples experiances.easy to read and understand. A must have on your book shelf.
on 19 November 2007
I found this book very useful, well laid out and more to the point the advice it contained really worked. The approach is common sense and not at all about leaving babies to cry as is often misreported. I liked the case studies and found the sleeping and feeding timetables/structure lifesaving. I also found the booked well researched and feel that there is a lot of support from other sources to support Gina Ford's way of doing things. All in all I'd recommend this book to any parent and it is an invaluable companion to the Contented Little Baby Book or can be used as a stand alone resource to help the sleep deprived regain some degree of sanity!
on 4 December 2007
I've followed the CLB routines with both my daughters (now aged 1yr and 5yrs)and wouldn't have it any other way! Many people comment on how happy and contented they are and a lot of that must be due to the amount of solid sleep they both get.
I found the book a very useful addition to the CLB book, as it covers so much information on sleep in more detail than could be afforded in the CLB.
It covers how much sleep you should expect your baby/toddler to need, from birth to 3 years old (and the importance of a routine).
As the book is split into 6 chapters, you can quickly go to the section that's applicable to your babies age.
As with the other Gina Ford books, it contains many detailed case studies of when things have gone wrong. It is very comforting to read how other people get things wrong too, but that the problems can be corrected!
As a parent, one of the most frustrating things is the fact that just as you get used to a certain routine with your baby...they go and change it! Because babies needs are ever-changing, it is so handy to have this book to dip back into for reassurance.
Well worth a read!
on 17 August 2007
I followed the CLB routine for my first child and she went into it perfectly, sleeping through from 10 weeks. I assumed my second daughter would be the same. Wrong! For 3 months I have been battling a baby that would sleep all over the place then wake up almost every hour every night. Shattered, I read this book, hoping for a miracle...and got one! After finally understanding the REM patterns of babies, and putting this information into practise, my baby was right into the CLB routine just 2 days after I read it. Why, oh why, did I not get it as soon as she was born????
A perfect compliment to the CLB books, filled with valuable information, advice, and real life case studies. Highly recommended.