5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our sanity!
When my son was 6 months old, he was still waking up 3-4 times a night. Every time I put him back to bed, I couldn't get back to sleep myself, knowing that he was going to wake up again anyway...I couldn't think straight, I was so knackered. My health visitor couldn't help, my GP told me it was normal and I was beginning to feel really low.

One day a lady in...
Published on 29 Jun 2007 by SammieH

3.0 out of 5 stars Take it with a pinch of salt
Whilst I agree with the reviews that slate Ford for being overly rigid and unsympathetic, if you approach this book with a bit of common sense it is quite useful. I absolutely abhor the idea of leaving a baby to cry, but the sleep timetables and feeding structures can be helpful if you use them as guidelines rather than absolutes. We found the best way to use them was...
Published on 9 May 2006 by Molly Bloom

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our sanity!, 29 Jun 2007

One day a lady in the park recommended reading this book. I thought, why not, I have nothing to lose. Well, it was an eye-opening experience! After reading it - it made loads of sense - I went out and bought the Contented Little Baby Book too (I was warned off that book by loads of people, so I never touched it before 2 months ago!). That weekend I started putting him on the routines and used the advice from the sleep book and guess what? After a few nights, HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! I could hardly believe it the first night, but then it just continued. I feel so stupid for listening to all the negative comments about Gina Ford books, instead of reading them myself and making my own mind up. My darling baby boy is 10 months old now and he is an outrageously happy kid! We are seriously considering having some more children now...

If you are a new mum, struggling to cope with lack of sleep or simply someone who wants to understand their baby more, then I hugely recommend you to buy this no-nonsense sensible book. It is simply fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Usful advice on tackling sleep problems, 28 Aug 2007
Really useful book for tackling any common sleep problems in little babies and older toddlers and it has good suggestions for helping to solve them. I'd say its useful to have an idea of Gina Ford's routines suggested in her New Contented Baby Book while reading it but it is good as a stand alone book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 10 Oct 2009
G. Stanhope - See all my reviews
This book was very helpfull. I have a 6 month old who was still not sleeping throuth the night and waking 1-2 hours. After reading the book i gave one of the methods a go and after 3 nights she was sleeping 12 hours! I couldn't believe how easy it was. She is now 7 months old and still sleeps 10-12 hours each night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good common sense advice, 27 April 2009
Ms. K. Frater (uk) - See all my reviews
I read this book in conjunction with the Contented Little Baby book and just found it really helped my to understand my babies sleep patterns and needs. It really is good common sense advice, of course if a baby sleeps too much in the day they will be awake all night, but common sense isn't always what you see when you are sleep deprived with a new little one. It really isn't about leaving babies to cry, it needs to be read properly and understood and you will find that it really will help your little one (and you!) to sleep well. I still dip into this for advice on my 3 year old, not that we need it very often thanks to Gina Fords books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to babies' and toddlers' sleeping!, 22 April 2009
R. Turner (uk) - See all my reviews
This is a comprehensive and insightful guide to the sleeping needs of babies and toddlers and I would highly recommend it whether you want to gain a greater understanding of babies' sleep ready for when your baby is born or if your little one has sleep issues that need solving. My toddler is in a great routine thanks to this book and the contented little baby book by the same author! It answers all the questions you are ever likely to ask with regards to sleep. You will be giving your baby a very great gift in helping them to learn to settle on their own and get great quality sleep and it will leave everyone feeling much happier. Too often people seem to accept that a baby = sleepless nights for many years to come because "That's what babies do," but not babies who have followed this advice . Hard work is inevitable in establishing a good routine but that work is made easier with the advice from this book and the others in the series.

It discusses in depth the sleep patterns of babies so that with understanding you can structure your baby's sleep to ensure they don't get overtired or have too much sleep in the day meaning they are up all night. I think that this is what makes this book so great - it doesn't just say do this or try that - it explains why you should try this or that. There are chapter various different ages from newborn to 3 with case studies of children the author has worked with and there is a chapter on methods for solving sleep issues - with different suggested methods appropriate for different ages. The methods used are well-researched. They will not damage your child in my belief (as I see some reviewers think) - the methods used are accepted by other leading professionals and referenced in the book. I would have no hesitation in employing the sleep training methods if I needed to - so far following the advice has meant that we have never had to resort to them!

I bought this book alongside the contented little baby book, and gaining a more in depth understanding of sleep patterns has enabled me to avoid sleep issues. My baby was quite ill with reflux and had a spell in hospital when he was 6 months but we quickly re-established his sleep when he came home by using the advice in the book - it gave me the confidence to know that what I was doing was right and for the best. A year later he still sleeps 12 hours at night and well in the daytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to give background knowledge, 19 April 2013
Found the book v useful to have knowledge to inform / back up / suggest ideas to help me move forward from the rut I am currently in. Never thought I would find the book helpful as had been warned about Gina`s approach but offers sensible and realistic hope to me........

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Helpful - Excellent resource, 19 Nov 2007
I found this book very useful, well laid out and more to the point the advice it contained really worked. The approach is common sense and not at all about leaving babies to cry as is often misreported. I liked the case studies and found the sleeping and feeding timetables/structure lifesaving. I also found the booked well researched and feel that there is a lot of support from other sources to support Gina Ford's way of doing things. All in all I'd recommend this book to any parent and it is an invaluable companion to the Contented Little Baby Book or can be used as a stand alone resource to help the sleep deprived regain some degree of sanity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Struggling with sleep issues...here's your solution!, 17 Aug 2007
Tracy Roth-Rotsas "aussiecatwoman" (Limassol, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
I followed the CLB routine for my first child and she went into it perfectly, sleeping through from 10 weeks. I assumed my second daughter would be the same. Wrong! For 3 months I have been battling a baby that would sleep all over the place then wake up almost every hour every night. Shattered, I read this book, hoping for a miracle...and got one! After finally understanding the REM patterns of babies, and putting this information into practise, my baby was right into the CLB routine just 2 days after I read it. Why, oh why, did I not get it as soon as she was born????
A perfect compliment to the CLB books, filled with valuable information, advice, and real life case studies. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My bible, 28 Jun 2007
J. Britten "Julie" (uk) - See all my reviews
I have brought other books that I thought would give me some information on getting my baby to sleep but found this one far better than the others.

It explains the cycles of a babies sleep which helps you to understand sleep patterns. There is some graet case studies in this book and im sure that most sleep problems are covered in this book.

Even if your not a Gina Ford fan but are looking for a straight foward guide to getting a good night sleep this book is for you.

It worked for us, after 5 months of sleep deprivation this book was a godsend to my family and i.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help you solve your baby's sleep problems, 27 April 2009
L. Collins (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
When our little boy was about 6 weeks old we realised we had a problem with his sleep during the day. He would not nap unless he just fell alseep on one of us. We had somehow fallen into that trap and now if we put Harry in his cot during the day he screamed the house down! We were first time parents and didn't really know much about getting our baby to sleep during the day and it was becoming a problem. When should we put him down for a sleep? How long should he sleep during the day? These were the kind of questions we had. We had a look on amazon at books about babies and sleep and 'The Complete Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers' seemed to be the one that was going to answer all our questions. We had heard of Gina Ford and were slightly sceptical but we thought we would give it a go. It was a brilliant decision. The book arrived and not only did it help us solve Harry's daytime sleep problems, but it helped us to understand his sleep patterns and needs much better. It is also very iteresting!

The book gives you an outline of how much sleep a baby needs and how that sllep should ideally be divided up across the day and night. It also offers reasons for why certain length sleeps should take place and certain times, the importance of a bedtime routine and explains about babies sleep cycles. Once you have taken on all of this information it helps you to structure your baby's sleeping. For many new parents this is something that would be incredibly useful.

The book then splits up into 0-6 months, 6 - 12 months 12 - 24 months and then 2 - 3 years and looks at what to expect with sleep at this age, what to aim for, common sleeping problems and case studies.

It also deals with sleep associations and sleep training. It recognises the emotional difficulty that sleep training creates and advises certain situations when it would not be a good idea to sleep train. It then outlines 5 different approaches to sleep training and recommends minimum ages or each approach.

It is a book that I have referred to time and again since I bought it and imagine it will come in handy over the next couple of years. you do not need to follow Gina Ford's routines to get use out of this book but it does form part of the 'Contented Little Baby' series. I have to say this book then did lead to me buying the 'Contented Little Baby Book' and using Gina's routines and I would throughly recommend all of her books as they are excellent.

Please don't be put off because you think you won't like Gina Ford based on what you have heard people saying about her routines. If you are having trouble with your baby's sleeping then this book is fantastic. You never know you might find that Gina Ford appeals to you once you start reading it. That happened to me :)

People often comment on how well Harry sleeps and how he can settle himself to sleep no problem and it is because of the advice we got from this book we were able to help him become a sleeper like this!