5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life
Published on 4 Mar 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant BUT inconsistant: Not without its faults.
I have had this book on my shelf for a while now, and i have drawn much inspiration from the first half of the book. The first half covers different ideas such as how to reframe death and give it a positive place in our lives, how to understand karma, meditation, how to rest in the nature of mind free of grasping and aversion, and much more. I have used many of the ideas...
Published on 25 July 2010 by M. A. Ratcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life, 4 Mar 2003
By A Customer
I disagree with the above review. You don't have to be close to someone who has died for this book to be of benefit. I was initially put off by the title, thinking it morbid, but what this book taught me was that we will all die sooner or later, so we better start dealing with it. Once I started to realise this it was a tremendously freeing feeling, which allowed me to live more in the present moment and make the most of my live. This book has had a huge impact on my life and if you have never considered your impermeance then it will help you enormously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and accessable, 30 Oct 2002
By A Customer
The wider implications of the Tibetian book of the dead are explained in this inspiring, beautiful book. Written by a master of the Dzogchen school, the Tibetian Book of Living and Dying gives us an incredible view of life and death. Most importantly, it asks us to consider wisely, what will happen at the time of our death, and when those close to us die. It also offers advice for looking after the dying, and stresses the importance of peace at such times.
An extremely valuable book, if you can take the advice and wisdom to heart, it may well be priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed my life, 1 Jun 2003
By A Customer
Of all the books I have ever read, this is the only one that changed my life. I read this book twice and continue to refer to it because I am now taking courses at the Rigpa (Buddhist) Center. Anyone who is curious about Buddhist teachings will find this book very valuable. For people who are more serious about finding meaning in life and lasting happiness, it is extremely helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, 13 Sep 2005
Mr. P. J. Richardson "seeksthebalance" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
I found this book insightful and well explained. I had been interested in Buddhist philosophy for a while and was looking for a good introductory text. I found it in this book, which explains the fundamentals of Meditation and the Bardo teachings in language that is accessible to all.
There is also further commentary on the deeper implications of compassion in daily life and reference to further teachings that might be useful.
This book has changed a great deal about the way I lead my life. An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing - life saving, 23 April 2006
I had been looking for answers for years and all the time the original version of this book was on my bookshelf unread. I have read many books by western writers on living a better life, dealing with emotions, much philosopy, psychology etc. Many were useful but they did not change me in a lasting way. Then my sister picked this book up off my bookshelf and read bits of it out to me. This prompted me to finally read it properly from cover to cover. Since then I have found all the answers in Buddhism. The answers to everything from how to control my anger to why bad things happen to good people etc. It is true that Sogyal Rinpoche has quoted from other masters, that is because he is part of a living lineage that passes the teachings down. he also repeats many points when he teaches because sometimes we don't hear the first time, or we hear in the wrong way. In the beginning when I first heard him teach, I did not fully respect him for the great master that he is. But once I heard him teach in person I felt a spontaneous devotion towards him. This is a wonderful book that for me answered my questions about life and death (why are we here? etc.) it all just made sense. I never intended to become a Buddhist, but I am so glad that I acted on what I read here and became a student of Sogyal Rinpoche, because if you really want your life to change, you have to receive the teachings from a master. This book is the first step. Now I am reading 'Words of My Perfect Teacher', which is another extremely important text, a little further down the road. I think before this I was on the highway to hell. I hope you find peace and happiness too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind, 10 Mar 2004
I'm referring to the audio tape version of this book. Recently my mum passed away suddenly and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I found great comfort in listening to the book. It gave me great comfort and I felt that I was able to help my mother's soul by carrying out the Phowa practice. I just wished that I'd prepared myself better as I actually bought the audio book many years ago but forgot about it. I have now also purchased the printed edition as well. I thoroughly recommend both the printed and audio versions of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just about living and dying, 29 Jun 2001
Sogyal Rinpoche's language is easy to understand and speaks directly to the heart. His moving account of his own personal experiences with death makes sure that readers quickly identify with what is regarded in the West as a bit of a taboo subject. Not only does he expound on Buddhist or specifically Dzogchen philsophy but he gives clear poetical examples and metaphors that enable the reader to experience the mind of an elightened teacher. He offers much insight on meditation and on the experiences that result. This is one of those books that becomes a sort of close companion especially if one feels lost or unable to cope with death (and perhaps life as well). The practice of Tonglen is one which many people have found to be particularly good in restoring feelings of love and compassion - something which is often lacking in our lives!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was a break-through for me, 24 May 2001
By A Customer
I read this book while soul-searching, and it was a break-through for me because, it explained to me the meaning of life that my own religion was unable to. It was my first book on buddhism, and it has made a big difference to my life and the way I think about life, and what the whole meaning of life is. This is a very good book, and as one of the other reviewers said - well worth reading for someone with an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 8 May 2001
By A Customer
This book is the one of the most useful, inspiring, and powerful that I have come across. It is excellent for anyone without knowledge about buddhism and also for the experienced western buddhist. It is one of the best lucid and compelling explanations of the ancient Tibetan teachings that has ever come into the west. A whole world of knowledge is opened up to the reader that cannot fail to have a huge impact. Sogyal Rinpoche's teaching is inspiring, moving, and intriguing leaving one with no other option than to re-think the purpose of ones exsistence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, Interesting & Comforting book. (MUST READ), 8 Mar 2004
Joyce (Welwyn Garden City, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really amazing book! Unlike other religious books, this one is really interesting. I could stay awake late at night just to read it and have to control myself to stop as I have to work the next morning.
I have been reading some books on buddhism, so far this is the best one. This book is easy to read and there are so many lovely metaphors being used to help us to understand.
Before I read this book, I was always attracted to Buddhism but was confused by the idea of reincarnation, but now i have much more understanding and the explanation provided is a very satisfactory one. It can empower you to change your perspective on life and death and brings hope and joy not only to yourself but to others as well.